DIY: A/C - Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: DIY: A/C - Cooling System

Originally Posted by gianinline
My last accord had a bad small coming from the vents. One thing, if you can... i never actually saw where the cabin air filter is located on the accord. Would be nice if you could point it out. Thanks.
The two most common cause of "smelly vents" is moisture, [causing mold] and rodents like mice, [mold is the least of your problem].

Clogged evaporator drain tubes will cause condensation off the evaporator to pool, collect dust/dirt/debris that mold will grow on. 94
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by SOHCMAN
Another thing to check if your AC is not cold, is that your heater core valve on the firewall is closing all the way and not allowing hot coolant into he heater core to fight your A/C's cooling ability.

Even with the dash **** all the way on cool, the valve under the hood is not shut all the way and I have to reach behind the motor to bump the lever a 1/4 inch to close it.
This is a very common problem, hot coolant is still circulating through the heater core.

The air from the blower in a car with a heater valve always passes through the heater core, first through the evaporator, [cooled if A/C is on, and working] then through the heater core and out the vents you select, so if the valve is not closed the cold air will be reheated.

Cars that have blend doors do not have heater valves, coolant always flows through the heater core, air from the blower is directed through the heater core for heat and through the evaporator for cooling, or a combination of both, ["BLEND door"] depending on temperature selected.

In both cases, heater valve or blend door "failure" and assuming A/C works, the A/C will be cold on engine start up but gets "warmer" as engine warms up.94
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by tollboothwilley
I'm not sure if my compressor is working properly...

My other car I hear a very distinct CLICK as the compressor engages. With my Honda (94 EX) I get a click, click, click sound which is constant. Almost like the compressor is trying to engage but isn't.

Thoughts?
Short cycling, most likely a low refrigerant charge.94
Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im Having trouble with my 1995 Honda Accord a/c system , compressor doesnt seem to be kicking in , checked fuses also had drainage on passenger floorboard please help? John_wayne_anderson@yahoo.com
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I own a 97 accord lx and notice that my a/c blows out air but not cold air but my heat works. Do I follow the steps for DIY #3?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Trial User

I tested my condenser fan by the steps described above and still it does not work. It is a 90 accord and the fan works when directly connected to the battery. I have 12 + volts going to the fan also. But when I connect them together and test the voltage I have no voltage. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Trial User

So just to confirm, the fan that kicks on when the air conditioning turns on is the condenser fan? I have a honda crv 2003 and when standing in front of the vehicle facing the engine, the fan on the left is the one that is not turning on regardless of temp, so my car starts to overheat when at a prolonged standstill...
Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: DIY: A/C - Cooling System

When i try to spray the freon in the Low pressure pipe...its as if the freon isnt getting in to the pipe. like its leaking from the fixture. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Trial User

I think my 1996 has an electrical problem ,because when I turn on the AC the voltage went down to 6.2 volts .And there is a green wire on my ac Compressor i don't know where he goes cause I just got the car and someone was working on it before
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOHCMAN

Another thing to check if your AC is not cold, is that your heater core valve on the firewall is closing all the way and not allowing hot coolant into he heater core to fight your A/C's cooling ability.

Even with the dash **** all the way on cool, the valve under the hood is not shut all the way and I have to reach behind the motor to bump the lever a 1/4 inch to close it.

This is a very common problem, hot coolant is still circulating through the heater core.

The air from the blower in a car with a heater valve always passes through the heater core, first through the evaporator, [cooled if A/C is on, and working] then through the heater core and out the vents you select, so if the valve is not closed the cold air will be reheated.

Cars that have blend doors do not have heater valves, coolant always flows through the heater core, air from the blower is directed through the heater core for heat and through the evaporator for cooling, or a combination of both, ["BLEND door"] depending on temperature selected.

In both cases, heater valve or blend door "failure" and assuming A/C works, the A/C will be cold on engine start up but gets "warmer" as engine warms up.94
Check a manual... 5th gens have a heater valve and door.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pyromonkey721
When i try to spray the freon in the Low pressure pipe...its as if the freon isnt getting in to the pipe. like its leaking from the fixture. Not sure what to do at this point.
there are tools to replace the valve core under pressure
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
The two most common cause of "smelly vents" is moisture, [causing mold] and rodents like mice, [mold is the least of your problem].

Clogged evaporator drain tubes will cause condensation off the evaporator to pool, collect dust/dirt/debris that mold will grow on. 94
Possibly simple question, but are mildew-smelling vents pretty good indicators of a leak in the line versus a compressor (or other) problem, or can you get mold in the line even if the line is intact?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Wellington2k
I tested my condenser fan by the steps described above and still it does not work. It is a 90 accord and the fan works when directly connected to the battery. I have 12 + volts going to the fan also. But when I connect them together and test the voltage I have no voltage. Any ideas?
The guy said 8 out of 10 times its the fan motor itself. I just did this test and came to that same conclusion. My condenser fan doesn't work either.

Ordered another one from ebay, hope it fixes it!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

[QUOTE=HondaPartsHero;42806287]

Step 4: Find the condenser fan relay mounted beside the condenser fan plug.There are two relays one is the condenser fan and one is for the compressor. Remove the 10mm bolt to remove the bracket holding both relays. The condenser fan relays is the one closest to the engine. To replace you just need to pull up on the plastic/rubber cover and press down on the plugs connector and pull out. If you suspect it is the relay simple unplug the relay and plug it into the compressor clutch relay as they are the same relay if the fan comes on with the compressor relay you know more than likely your relay is the issue. In my experience if your car is over 120K miles on the odometer your compressor fan is more than likely the culprit. I've replaced a lot of fans in the past and can tell you 8 out of 10 times it is the fan motor. The good part is that now you can buy the whole assembly on ebay for under 50 dollars that includes an all metal frame, motor and fan blade and can be changed out in well under an hour.
Hope this helps!

Name:  FanClutchrelay.jpg
Views: 12236
Size:  80.2 KB

I thought it was called the condensor fan?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! Thanks for this post. I'm a novice and this really helps.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Trial User

Hello all! I'm having an a/c issue. I think it may be
A ecu problem. I thought it might just need to be
Recharged, it was fully charged. I thought it might be low
Because the compressor clutch wouldn't engage. I jumped the
Clutch and it worked. I replaced the relay clutch still wouldn't engage.
So I'm thinking it might be an ecu issue. Any suggestions would be
Greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: DIY: A/C - Cooling System

Originally Posted by cstone
Check a manual... 5th gens have a heater valve and door.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
I believe you may be confusing the recirculate door for a blend door. If you have hot coolant flowing through your heater core, you will be heating the air blowing out your vents no matter which position your door is in.

This is why it is important to make sure your valve is fully closing. Otherwise the heater will be fighting your A/C.

If you can bump it further closed that where it sits when adjusted to full cool, you just need to make sure to adjust your cable so it fully closes the valve. It is located roughly below the throttle body on the firewall.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello all,

I have 95 honda accord station wagon. it is 4 cylinder, vtec. the ac condenser fan went dead last night. i followed the diagnostics from this post. probably the problem is with condenser fan itself. thanks for guiding step by step with pictures. now my question is last year my mechanic said the ac is not turning on by pressing the ac button on the dash. so he connected one wire from the fuse box (inside the car) and other from a wire coming from ac compressor, i believe. he gave a separate toggle switch to get the cold air. he said i have to turn on the ac button on the dash and turn on the toggle switch. if either is not turned on im not getting cold air. it is really annoying to turn on 2 switches to get cold air. can anyone help me how to fix this? i would like to know step by step guidance like hondapartshero. thank you in advance.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello all,

I have 95 honda accord station wagon. it is 4 cylinder, vtec. the ac condenser fan went dead last night. i followed the diagnostics from this post. probably the problem is with condenser fan itself. thanks for guiding step by step with pictures. now my question is last year my mechanic said the ac is not turning on by pressing the ac button on the dash. so he connected one wire from the fuse box (inside the car) and other from a wire coming from ac compressor, i believe. he gave a separate toggle switch to get the cold air. he said i have to turn on the ac button on the dash and turn on the toggle switch. if either is not turned on im not getting cold air. it is really annoying to turn on 2 switches to get cold air. can anyone help me how to fix this? i would like to know step by step guidance like hondapartshero. thank you in advance.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found this post very helpful. i have checked fuses, the relays, engine coolant switches on both A & B and there's power on the low pressure connector. everything seems to be working fine on my car but my ac is blowing hot air not cold. i jumped the compressor clutch and it clicks and spins but my engine looses power and feels like its going to die off. also there's no power or less than 5v on the blue/red wire on the clutch relay. how do i ground that wire or where does it lead to so i can be able to fix this problem. its hot these days and i want to be able to use it. i have a 1997 honda accord LX
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the continuity on the AC pressure switch (kind of under the battery tray on your 97).
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i couldnt test the ac switch was really hard to get there could barely reach the switch with my hand. do i need the battery connected in order to test the switch?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, without the battery you can only do half the test......so , yes.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Trial User

I have a 2000 4 dr accord ex and I just noticed my passenger side floorboard is all wet. I can't seem to find where the evaporator drain tube is. I've looked under the glovebox and I see the evaporator box but it appears the case goes all the way to the firewall. Does that mean I can't access the drain tube from within my vehicle or do I have to remove the case to get to the drain tube?

Also I'm not sure where the drain tube is on the exterior of my vehicle.

I'm not very knowledgeable with cars so if someone has pictures to guide me or can explain in detail I would much appreciate it.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you look under the passenger side there will be a metal bracket the tube in inside it it drains down... turn ac on and you might even see water drips even if fairly plugged

Quick Reply: DIY: A/C - Cooling System