Review: JTC Customs Shifter Extender

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: JTC Customs Shifter Extender

COST: 40$

INTRO:
There was a feeler thread about this product some months back in 2009, and there was kind of a mixed bag of different thoughts on whether a product of this kind would be worth the effort. As some of you know, there have been other offerings from a lot 'big name' companies, that demanded big bucks for a tiny piece of metal, that only extended your shifter a mere 2-3. Not only was the extension minimal, but the versatility was extremely minute; either you extended it or not. For any of you, like myself, who saw these products and said “no thank you”, I welcome the all new JTC Customs Shifter Extender.

HONDA Shifter Extender : JTC Customs

WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT OR NEED AN EXTENSION?
There are numerous reasons for extending your shifter. As many of you know, this is a popular accessory for road racing or autocrossing, mainly because it puts the shifter is a useable position; as close to the wheel as possible. It has been said over and over, that a true performance car necessitates the ability to touch the shifter with at least one finger, while in any gear, without taking the hand off of the steering wheel. Very few “sports cars” can achieve this, and this is mainly where the shifter extension is important.

For those of you who are not interested in any sort of racing, there is still a rather long list of advantages to be had from using an extension. Civic drivers will particularly gain the biggest benefit, as their shifters seem to be the farthest away from the wheel (in the realm of Hondas anyway). Comfort is the name of the game here, and with the proper extension, shifting becomes exponentially more comfortable, and requires less effort too. Having a longer shifter is like using a longer breaker bar. The required effort or force in the throw is significantly reduced. You will be amazed at the difference in drivability that a product like this can provide.

PACKAGING AND FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
Ok first off, let me start by saying I was extremely impressed with the overall attention to detail when it came to just the packaging that was used. I have purchased other similar small products from a boatload of supposed ‘top notch’ manufacturers, and this has by far been the best I’ve seen.

After carefully removing all of the pieces, my impression did not change a single bit when it came to the quality of the actual product. Overall, the JTC Customs product is looking rather appealing and promising, much as expected.

NOT YOUR TYPICAL EXTENSION:
As mentioned earlier in the review, I felt that every single product previously offered in this category had major shortcomings, particularly in the versatility department. These shifter extensions are not chassis specific, so I feel that it is important to offer one that will work on just about any Honda (or other vehicle with similar thread pitch and size). JTC Customs is well aware of this need, and has answered in a big way with this new brand new offering. Let me take a moment and show you a few random configurations that are possible.

Standard straight config:

Straight, angle, straight config:

Angle, straight, straight config (my favorite; used during test drive):

You will notice that with all pieces used, there is close to seven inches of extension available! Not only do we gain a lengthy amount of shift rod, but the ability to point the shifter in your desired direction is priceless. We no have the ability to basically position the shifter in our hands. Bravo JTC Customs, bravo!

What I find most impressive and exciting at this point, is the inclusion of tiny little set screws. These set screws are a delightful surprise with a product of this price. Set screws eliminate the need to finish-damaging pliers or vice grips to install the extension. All one must do to install, is simply set the pieces to their desired positions, and tighten the set screws. This is an invaluable addition, as without these you will spend countless moments trying to reposition your shifter using the standard nuts usually included with a product like this.

Set screw hole:

Set screw installed halfway:

INSTALLATION:
Installation was pretty much a cakewalk. Just pick your desired configuration, test fit, retest fit, install your pieces, and tighten your set screws. That’s pretty much it. What I would suggest is a tiny bit of semi-permanent thread locker, ON THE SET SCREWS ONLY. I cannot stress the importance of test fitting though. The main reason behind this is to work some of the powder coating off of the threads, to ensure proper fitment. Oil or grease is not a bad idea either.

UPDATE: After a few weeks of using this product, I have concluded that the use of the provided nuts is essential if you plan on using the included angled piece. The set screw tends to let go fairly easily. What I did was use a nut on both sides of the angled piece. The top nut was used to tighten/angle it, while the bottom one insured that it could be easily removed later. This is just a kind suggestion, there are numerous ways to achieve the same goal here.

Test fitting the pieces:

TEST VEHICLE:
1994 Honda Civic EX Coupe with 184k miles, and approximately 15-20k on a somewhat recent h22 swap from a JDM Accord.

TEST DRIVE:
As mentioned earlier in this review, you will be amazed at the difference an extension can make, and amount of advantages, regardless of application are absolutely endless. I was literally blown away at the difference! I no longer have to reach for the ground to shift. The shifter is right where I want it, and both of my shoulders remain properly aligned while driving. I no longer have any back or shoulder pain after extended trips! Simply put, enough cannot be said for this product. If you don’t believe me, purchase one, and you will not regret it!

Shifter position in neutral:

What most impressed me overall while test driving the shifter extension was how unbelievably easy the shift throws have become. Each and every gear basically falls into place, with very little effort needed from the driver.
After a fair bit of driving around town, I began to notice that the shifter was now so comfortable, I literally did not want to take my hand off of it. While in 5th gear, the shifter now sits nicely in front of the radio, making it easier to browse the tracks without missing a beat. Wow, simply wow.

Here are some shots of my hand positions while using the extension:

1st gear:

2nd gear:

3rd gear:

4th gear:

5th gear:

I suppose the most important question now, at least to the driving enthusiast, is; does it pass the finger test? Or rather, can I touch the shifter with one finger in every gear without removing my hand from the steering wheel? Answer: you most certainly can.

Touching the shifter in neutral:

What's more, is that I was easily able to keep the shifter in an 'aggressive position', keeping the shifter very close to steering wheel, while still retaining a fair amount of distance from the dashboard. Plenty of room for those of you with large hands. Your hand should not hit the radio when properly configured.

Distance from the steering wheel in neutral:

Distance from dashboard in 3rd gear:

Distance from dashboard in 5th gear:

All of these results will vary greatly depending on configuration, so be sure to set your extension to tailor to your own needs.

Prelude/Accord owners listen up:
My test vehicle had the all too familiar “5th gear grind”, that is a very common quirk found in the Prelude/Accord transmissions of certain generations (92-01). I am proud to announce that I no longer have this grind! Amazingly enough, it appears that the hub and slider issue that plagues these trannies has now met a temporary fix at least. I stress temporary, because the true solution is to have your tranny serviced according to the official Honda TSB posted in accordance to this factory defect. In addition, I make no guarantees that this will reduce or eliminate your 5th gear grind, as this was only tested on one vehicle.

Few more random shots before the conclusion:

CONCLUSION:
Overall, I am extremely impressed at what such an inexpensive product has accomplished in regards to drivability. This has been, by far, the most significant single modification I have done to my car. Dollar for dollar, it has made the biggest improvement in my everyday driving alone, and will most definitely be a winner at the track. This is not just a racing product, it’s perfect for daily driving, and will undoubtedly raise your comfort levels, regardless of your application or activity.

Last edited by rash; 06-16-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: JTC Customs Short Shifter

Looks like a waste of money
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have fun reaching for the floor every time you shift.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit, didn't realize you were the OP LOL
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: JTC Customs Shifter Extender

Thanks for the title edit. I was afraid I might attract the wrong crowd with "short shifter" as a title.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like my $5 shifter extender

but, mine's a joke... i'm not sure yours is?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a extension on my rex and i liked it, however, i snap on my shifter and the stud thread was stuck in there.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol Driven,

No it's not a joke. It's a 100% serious product, and until it's conception there has been nothing like this offered for Hondas. Serious drivers will appreciate this product. This is why the review was posted in the autoX section. FYI this hardly has any markup at all. It was done more as a favor for the community. If demand isn't great, it won't be produced anymore. Simple as that.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM
2.7(p/t)

It looks like your knuckles and that radio/dash would become friends after a few shifts, also looks to have the throw of a mack truck.

Edit, It seems like an ok idea in theory, however, there is alot of force applied by some on shift levers. How the adapters are set up looks like a cause for concern interms of strength.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, its ugly. There are better ways of doing it...

Check the sig.

Edit:
Originally Posted by rash
No it's not a joke. It's a 100% serious product, and until it's conception there has been nothing like this offered for Hondas. Serious drivers will appreciate this product. This is why the review was posted in the autoX section. FYI this hardly has any markup at all. It was done more as a favor for the community. If demand isn't great, it won't be produced anymore. Simple as that.
Google FLP road race shifter
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's nice but the bent portion doesn't even bolt down all the way.
IMO, for AX/RR/TA this will only be a nuisance. FLP shifter is the right way to do this.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sander
It looks like your knuckles and that radio/dash would become friends after a few shifts, also looks to have the throw of a mack truck.
I agree. It also looks way too close to your leg, at least in that configuration. Id be concerned I may knock it out of gear.

Also, at least be up front. You are obviously pitching this, not just posting a random review as Joe Consumer.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Suspetise...

Originally Posted by Atmosfear
Also, at least be up front. You are obviously pitching this, not just posting a random review as Joe Consumer.
I am getting the same vibe. Please note that unpaid advertising is expressly forbidden here.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I don't understand what the performance benefit is.
The proposed benefit is that this product brings the shift **** closer to the steering wheel, thus decreasing the time it takes to move your hand from the steering wheel to the **** and making the gear shifts less strenuous? But at the expense of lengthening the shift throw 3 fold? Which essentially makes the time savings mentioned above a wash right? Also I having met anyone who wasn't strong enough to effect a gear change or who was fatigued from moving the gear lever back and forth on a normal Honda transmission.

The bigger concern I have with this product is that due to the longer throw, it will now be easier to grab the wrong gear if you're downshifting.

I don't think a gear shifter will be the tipping point for me dropping my lap times. I'll stick with the stock unit which seems to perform just fine.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my fast lane is balanced!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1200 Hobos
It's nice but the bent portion doesn't even bolt down all the way.
IMO, for AX/RR/TA this will only be a nuisance. FLP shifter is the right way to do this.
I stripped my shifter with my old setup. It threads all the way down when not using a stripped shifter.

I agree. It also looks way too close to your leg, at least in that configuration. Id be concerned I may knock it out of gear.

I have wide thighs (I'm a fat guy, what do you want?), and yeah it does appear to be close to my thighs. But also consider the fact that I am twisting my body to take the picture, and my foot is not on the gas pedal, which is also causing a bit of a lean. Like I said before though, the setup is completely up to you, and it's best to set it up to your own body style.

I'm not pitching this. I honestly thought I was doing a favor for people. I ran into numerous threads years back about the want/need for a product like this. There was also a lot of complaining over the cost of the current ones offered.

Edit, It seems like an ok idea in theory, however, there is alot of force applied by some on shift levers. How the adapters are set up looks like a cause for concern interms of strength.
I've been driving the crap out of my car for the last 2 weeks with it, and have not contacted my dash or radio. The only problem I ran into was the angled piece loosening up. The supplied nuts took care of the problem. I would recommend not using the set screws for the angle.

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
I am getting the same vibe. Please note that unpaid advertising is expressly forbidden here.
I am not pitching the sale of this item. I do not own JTC Customs, nor do I have any stock or investment in that company. I am merely answering questions.

It may have come off as a pitch because I have always been passionate about this topic, and it kinda sucks to see so many people ignorantly crap on it.

Originally Posted by BlueTeg
I guess I don't understand what the performance benefit is.
The proposed benefit is that this product brings the shift **** closer to the steering wheel, thus decreasing the time it takes to move your hand from the steering wheel to the **** and making the gear shifts less strenuous? But at the expense of lengthening the shift throw 3 fold? Which essentially makes the time savings mentioned above a wash right? Also I having met anyone who wasn't strong enough to effect a gear change or who was fatigued from moving the gear lever back and forth on a normal Honda transmission.

The bigger concern I have with this product is that due to the longer throw, it will now be easier to grab the wrong gear if you're downshifting.

I don't think a gear shifter will be the tipping point for me dropping my lap times. I'll stick with the stock unit which seems to perform just fine.
It's not about the quickness of the shift itself per say, but the fact that you have to take your hand very far from the wheel in order to shift. Keeping your hands on the wheel is probably the most important aspect of operating a vehicle, especially at a high rate of speed and around corners. Having a shift **** closer to the wheel, enables you get your hands back on the wheel before you die. If that doesn't make sense, I suppose it isn't for you.

If the stock unit is working for you, by all means continue using it.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Voodooboy520
IMO, its ugly. There are better ways of doing it...

Check the sig.

Edit:

Google FLP road race shifter
Who's pitching now?

BTW, your product is almost twice as expensive, and not adaptable/customizable. But sure it's better, because it's pretty.

The benefit of the JTC is it works for all Hondas. Yours wouldn't be ideal for Hondas that naturally have the shifter closer to the wheel (I.E. Preludes). You'd be probably end up too close to the wheel.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 PSA: death without the JTC Customs Shifter Extender

Originally Posted by rash
It's not about the quickness of the shift itself per say, but the fact that you have to take your hand very far from the wheel in order to shift.

Keeping your hands on the wheel is probably the most important aspect of operating a vehicle, especially at a high rate of speed and around corners. Having a shift **** closer to the wheel, enables you get your hands back on the wheel before you die. If that doesn't make sense, I suppose it isn't for you.
I understand that.
....but did you fail to read my counter point? The hundredths of a second that you save on bringing the **** closer to the wheel is negated by the hundreths of a second that you're adding to now move the shift lever over 3 times distance from stock. I don't disagree w/ you that keeping your hands on the steering wheel is good, I do disagree w/ you that this product will help acheive that (before I die, LOLicopters!!!).
Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM
2.7(p/t)

Rash, relax. You're very defensive.

No one is saying anything out of line here, no one is ATTACKING the shifter. If you put up a thread like this, people are going to comment on it. Thats how a forum works. If people just gave you praise then HT would be worthless and I would have no interest in anything to do with this site.

sander
Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PSA: death without the JTC Customs Shifter Extender

Originally Posted by BlueTeg
I understand that.
....but did you fail to read my counter point? The hundredths of a second that you save on bringing the **** closer to the wheel is negated by the hundreths of a second that you're adding to now move the shift lever over 3 times distance from stock. I don't disagree w/ you that keeping your hands on the steering wheel is good, I do disagree w/ you that this product will help acheive that (before I die, LOLicopters!!!).
lol well I suppose the proof is in the test. You make a valid point about saving vs wasting time with using the extender. I will say this though, going from my Prelude DD to having a Civic, I feel as though I'm reaching down to tie my shoe rather than shift. It all depends on the user though. I HATED driving my car until I got this extender. If I had been driving Civics all my life as opposed to Preludes, I would probably be making the same statements as everyone else.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rash, relax. You're very defensive.

No one is saying anything out of line here, no one is ATTACKING the shifter. If you put up a thread like this, people are going to comment on it. Thats how a forum works. If people just gave you praise then HT would be worthless and I would have no interest in anything to do with this site.

sander
You're right. That's how a good forum works. I apologize if I came off as defensive.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I simply rely on my abnormally long torso and monkey like arms to reach my short throw shift lever.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gabebauman
I simply rely on my abnormally long torso and monkey like arms to reach my short throw shift lever.
I still run stock shifter, urethane bushings, and Gil sponsored me a Circuit Hero extender that I had pc'd black when I was having other work done so it all looks like 1 piece with the stocker.

To my knowledge, there are about 5 shifter mods total that we have access to (some harder to find than others).

The more complex:
FLP
C's adjustable

Simplistic:
Circuit Hero
Voodooboy520's creation
and now the JTC

My view on this shift modification, it reminds me of an elbow macaroni necklace. I think it has potential to 'work'...however, with all those pieces, I would not trust that it would stay in place or set to how I want it. Personally, I would drive with it and adjust to where I believe it is perfect, then have the pieces scuffed and welded permanent, as well as a bead from where the base of the extender meets the shifter (dependent upon if the metals will mate based on what the JTC is made out of) The longer you extend the shifter, the higher the tendency is that you are going to break off the shifters threaded portion, so in this case, I am not too sure I would ever run this without welding it to 1pc.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't you need a longer lever on the other side of the shifter pivot thing so that the throw at your end isn't too long?

Also, this shifter did not fix your 5th gear grind. It fixed your bad shifting/clutch technique. Much like the Integra 3rd gear grind, which can be alleviated by shifting in a zig-zag from 2 to 3 instead of a diagonal.

Also, you don't want the shifter too close to the wheel in case you need to do emergency shuffle steer maneuvers. Look at the rally style long shifter setup - they are short throw and not that close to the steering wheel.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OMG THE GOGGLES
I still run stock shifter, urethane bushings, and Gil sponsored me a Circuit Hero extender that I had pc'd black when I was having other work done so it all looks like 1 piece with the stocker.

To my knowledge, there are about 5 shifter mods total that we have access to (some harder to find than others).

The more complex:
FLP
C's adjustable

Simplistic:
Circuit Hero
Voodooboy520's creation
and now the JTC

My view on this shift modification, it reminds me of an elbow macaroni necklace. I think it has potential to 'work'...however, with all those pieces, I would not trust that it would stay in place or set to how I want it. Personally, I would drive with it and adjust to where I believe it is perfect, then have the pieces scuffed and welded permanent, as well as a bead from where the base of the extender meets the shifter (dependent upon if the metals will mate based on what the JTC is made out of) The longer you extend the shifter, the higher the tendency is that you are going to break off the shifters threaded portion, so in this case, I am not too sure I would ever run this without welding it to 1pc.
I wanna say the JTC is heavy gauged steel, but I'm not certain. How hard are you shifting? You must really be yanking on it (lol), to warrant the welding of the pieces together. I suppose with solid bushings and a metal shifter plate, the shifting can be rather taunt. My current setup in that car uses a 97-01 Prelude shifter/plate, and it's made of plastic, as I suspect a lot of more modern Hondas are these days. And if I yanked on my shifter enough to break a steel shift rod, I'd end up cracking my plastic shifter plate long before the rod ever ate it. (lol long rod)

Originally Posted by beanbag
Don't you need a longer lever on the other side of the shifter pivot thing so that the throw at your end isn't too long?

Also, this shifter did not fix your 5th gear grind. It fixed your bad shifting/clutch technique. Much like the Integra 3rd gear grind, which can be alleviated by shifting in a zig-zag from 2 to 3 instead of a diagonal.

Also, you don't want the shifter too close to the wheel in case you need to do emergency shuffle steer maneuvers. Look at the rally style long shifter setup - they are short throw and not that close to the steering wheel.
I would highly suggest a short shifter. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using it on the track without one. Not until you're 100% confident in your throws. My throw is enormous right now yes, but I'm not running any short shifter of any kind.

I agree with you somewhat on the 5th gear grind issue, however, I was using the zigzag pattern BEFORE I installed the shifter ext. Now that I'm using it, I can use a normal diagonal shift, and still no grind. Nothing fixes the Prelude/Accord 5th gear grind except a new hub and slider, period. It's not really an issue of shifting technique. At least not according to Honda. Honda release a TSB about the grinding issue, and replaced hub and sliders free of charge for cars under 100k miles (I could be wrong about the mileage/year stipulation).

The info you provided about shuffle steer makes a lot of sense, but the shifter is only extremely close to the wheel in 1st gear. I can't really see myself spinning out of control in or needing to shuffle steer in 1st gear. Anything is possible though I suppose...

Quick Reply: Review: JTC Customs Shifter Extender