Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Driving with too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Driving with too much oil?

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe

Anyway, the larger point is... I'll take copper-core plugs any day!
me too! ive been using DENSO 3144 copper plugs in my b16a civic for years.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience is coming out from work @ 2:00AM -- having a dead slug on startup -- followed by running around town, looking for an all-night parts store on 3 cylinders. LoL!

Matter of fact, that's how I discovered the Champs!

Autozone was out-of-stock on the NGKs I needed...

Anyway, the larger point is... I'll take copper-core plugs any day!
I can concur with that lol.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Check your timing, if you'd like to invest in a tuning service, i offer a good "tuned" service if you have a chipped ecu, that might be able to help you pick up some "pep", after you figure out what your problem is.
I'd replace the wires with some good NGK Blues, get you a set of "Real" spark plugs, get some copper NGK v powers, none of this iridium or anything like that, and get a timing light and just double check your timing..
you may not be looking for power, but you might want to invest in a good exhaust system, and remove the stock cat and go with something little more free flowing, of course, i promise you, once your motor can breath, it'll open up a whole new world.
If you need anymore help or want to inquire about my tuning service - pm me for my number i'll be glad to help you out.
My next step is to replace the plug wires and the cat. I've already order some NGK wires and still looking up different cats. Not sure which one to really go with. I am currently running on NGK Iridiums but I will take your advice and go with the V-Powers and see how that goes. Thanks for the all advice.

Interesting comments!

On overfilling motor OIL: I don't think overfilling the oil (by a quart) is going to hurt anything either.

More than likely "driving like ***" (his words, not mine) did the deed!

On the CAT: I lost a dissy in April, and blew out my cat (in the process). LoL! Looked like the 4th of July behind my car. I thought I had an electrical fire.

I replaced the stock Si cat with a MagnaFlow 22630 (OEM flanges, e.g. bolt-on). Man, I can't believe the difference. My B16A2 has a lot more power, and it sounds 'throatier' too!

I think the stock cat must have been bad for a while. The screens were melted. That didn't happen when I lost the dissy. It was probably fried/plugged and the backfiring from my dissy coming apart finished the job.

You need all the help you can get @8,200 RPM. Intake restriction is much worse than exhaust restriction. Heh! That's why they put the butterfly valve on the intake, not the exhaust. But, exhaust restriction will definitely make your ride feel laggy!

On the PLUGS: I agree with you. I ran NGK V-Powers for about 3 years. They were okay, but they only lasted about 15K (in my experience) before I'd foul one and trigger a CEL.

I'm been running Champion Copper Plus (318) RC12MC-4 plugs (MC stands for motorcycle) for about 7 years now - in both D16Y5 (HX) and B16A2 (Si) motors - and they work great! I've gotten lazy and run them for 50K with no fouling.

Anyway, carry on...
Thanks for all the advice as well. I've already looked into the Magnaflow cat that you talked about and am taking it into consideration. But FYI, yes, I did say the car started "driving like ***" after I overfilled the oil but it was not due to me "driving like ***". I take real good care of my car and do not beat up on it like others so please don't twist what I say and put words in my mouth.

Originally Posted by Love-MY-honda
recheck your spark plugs. i have a b16a2 as well and when my spark plugs went out is sounded like a subi. but throttle felt like crap! so i changed the the crappy after market spark plugs for some ngks and ran smooth.
I plan on switching back to V-powers as recommended so I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.

My experinces come from dyno's..

ngk vpower coppers are by far the best sparkplugs vs anything out..
When you say "NGK V-power coppers", you're just referring to the regular V-power plugs that run like $2-3 a piece, right? From my understanding, all the NGK plugs are constructed with copper cores though?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danny_ha
I've already order some NGK wires and still looking up different cats. Not sure which one to really go with.[...]
I don't think you can go wrong with Magnaflow. I haven't read anything bad about them. Au contraire, everyone (including myself) seems to love them.

I bought mine on Amazon.com -- if you can believe that. It was on my doorstep in 3 days.

B16A2's use a diifferent cat than D-series. My O2 bung is in the center of the cat. Because of that, the cost was $193. I *think* D-16 cats are around $150 (if I remember correctly).

Locally, they wanted considerably more than $193 for my Si Magnaflow cat, so whatever you decide to get... online shopping is the way to go!

Originally Posted by danny_ha
FYI, yes, I did say the car started "driving like ***" after I overfilled the oil but it was not due to me "driving like ***". I take real good care of my car and do not beat up on it like others so please don't twist what I say and put words in my mouth.[...]
My bad! I must have misread your post.

Sorry, I wasn't thread-crapping!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejprimo
me too! ive been using DENSO 3144 copper plugs in my b16a civic for years.
Silver is supposed to be the best, but I've never seen them in real life. LoL!

Example: http://www.nology.com/silver.html

Copper is a close second... and I've had great luck with them... NGKs aside.

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe; 06-14-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: ADDED LINKAGE
Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

back to the op.

a friend put a gallon too much oil in a 88 civic of mine. it ran weakly, fouled plugs, and smoked A LOT. He put a few hundred miles on the car like that and it was fine.

make sure your plugs are chocolate brown, black means fouled.

adjust your valves too, if you're at 60'000mi and no real maintenance.

your car is in no danger, nothing serious is going to happen and destroy your motor... now on the other hand if you were looooowwwww on oil.... bad things.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i put 4 qts in my b18c1 and its over full
been driving it in vtec
smells like its rich or burnin oil
it does need a tune
i have ek9 cams
Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corksil
back to the op.

a friend put a gallon too much oil in a 88 civic of mine. it ran weakly, fouled plugs, and smoked A LOT. He put a few hundred miles on the car like that and it was fine.
one car's reaction to too much oil does not a scientific test make (old english voice lol)

your car is in no danger, nothing serious is going to happen and destroy your motor... now on the other hand if you were looooowwwww on oil.... bad things.
incorrect. your engine is absolutely in danger of increased wear and potentially catastrophic failure if you overfill the engine oil. the crankshaft whips the extra oil in the pan into a foam which is then pushed through oil pump. air is added to the oil and it changes it's viscosity which in turn prevents it from lubricating properly. this results in increased wear (specifically of the rod and main bearings), lower fuel economy, and higher engine temperatures.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

back to the op.

make sure your plugs are chocolate brown, black means fouled.

adjust your valves too, if you're at 60'000mi and no real maintenance.

its actually better to be a little low on oil than a little to much oil.
to much oil can and will damage bearings, rods and piston rings, as well as open up seals and gaskets for leaks. for those who say it wont cause damage either dont know squat about how an engine works or is just plain old ignorant on oil pressure.
too much oil can lead to too much pressure and if their is WAY to much oil it can even hydrolock an engine. ive seen bent rods, thrown bearings, complete seal failures and blown out rings.
if i were you i would do a compression check and make sure your rings are good, while their run a leak down test to check your valves. these dont cost squat to run so you have nothing to lose. definetly do a tune up and check your cat. did the problems start getting worse after the seafoam? seafoam is great stuff but can add to existing problems at times.
either way g/l
adam jeffery
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you can go wrong with Magnaflow. I haven't read anything bad about them. Au contraire, everyone (including myself) seems to love them.

I bought mine on Amazon.com -- if you can believe that. It was on my doorstep in 3 days.

B16A2's use a diifferent cat than D-series. My O2 bung is in the center of the cat. Because of that, the cost was $193. I *think* D-16 cats are around $150 (if I remember correctly).

Locally, they wanted considerably more than $193 for my Si Magnaflow cat, so whatever you decide to get... online shopping is the way to go!

My bad! I must have misread your post.

Sorry, I wasn't thread-crapping!
Yea, I saw the cat on Amazon for $193 and since you say they were pretty fast with shipping, I'm most likely gonna go with Magnaflow.

As far as the comment, I know you meant know harm. Just wanted you to know where I was coming from.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by farfrumugen
to much oil can and will damage bearings, rods and piston rings, as well as open up seals and gaskets for leaks. for those who say it wont cause damage either dont know squat about how an engine works or is just plain old ignorant on oil pressure.
too much oil can lead to too much pressure and if their is WAY to much oil it can even hydrolock an engine. ive seen bent rods, thrown bearings, complete seal failures and blown out rings.
if i were you i would do a compression check and make sure your rings are good, while their run a leak down test to check your valves. these dont cost squat to run so you have nothing to lose. definetly do a tune up and check your cat. did the problems start getting worse after the seafoam? seafoam is great stuff but can add to existing problems at times.
either way g/l
adam jeffery
I would love to do a compression check and a leak down test, but I have no clue where to go for this stuff. Im working on getting all the tune-up stuff done. Switching back to regular copper plugs instead of the iridiums I have now today, already ordered a set of NGK wires, and most likely ordering a Magnaflow cat today. The seafoam seemed to help initally but the car is back to driving sluggish again.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Silver is supposed to be the best, but I've never seen them in real life. LoL!

Example: http://www.nology.com/silver.html

Copper is a close second... and I've had great luck with them... NGKs aside.
Im really tempted to give these a try but I don't wanna spend $10 a plug and they end up making my car run like **** like the iridiums did which cost me $7 a piece.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kulo
i put 4 qts in my b18c1 and its over full
been driving it in vtec
smells like its rich or burnin oil
it does need a tune
i have ek9 cams
Your a quart low, fyi
b18c's take 4.5qts.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by farfrumugen
either way g/l
adam jeffery
You'll blow out a rear main seal, a oil pan gasket or your oil pump seal before any of that **** will happen, at least on a honda, you obviously have no idea, what captivation is.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your a quart low, fyi
b18c's take 4.5qts.
uk b18c4 takes 4.2L 1qt is just under 1 litre
Old 06-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kulo
uk b18c4 takes 4.2L 1qt is just under 1 litre
I'ma just state this..

b18c/c1/c3/c4/c5/c6's are all the same, with mild compression differences.. like .2 and what not..

they are all the same motor, excluding the head, they all take 4.5qt's... i promise..
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Trial User

Hey i have a 93 honda that i over filled with oil by only 1 qt. but i had the check engine light on when i added oil .... will it mess up my civic?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ drain out the extra oil before you damage anything
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Holy thread of mis information. Mods need to lock this up before people start draining and adding oil like mad men lmao. Reality: a LITTLE bit of extra oil (1/4 to 1/2 quart) isnt gona hurt anythin. Now these storys of an extra gallon of oil in this or that is crazy and will definetly cause problems. Attn: MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!!! and a b18c takes 4.2 quarts including filter. Check the damn owners manual and look for capacities, its all there in black and white. D16z6 (and most d series) take 3.5 quarts including filter, again from the owners manual (i have a collection). That is all.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Trial User

Icon7 Re: Driving with too much oil?

Thank you very much ej! For the proper information! But I have already drained out the exccessive amount of 2 qt.s and now my engine is not smoking as much but I still have a check engine light on! Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mecha_eagle
Thank you very much ej! For the proper information! But I have already drained out the exccessive amount of 2 qt.s and now my engine is not smoking as much but I still have a check engine light on! Any ideas?
CELs don't magically vanish on their own. Reset the ECU. If the code comes back, pull it and we'll work from there in your own new thread.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reset the ECU. A quart of oil over is not the end of the world, just drain it when you catch it. Just don't run a quart over all the time and you will fine. As for the other problems could be more of a coincidence.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by mecha_eagle
Do what jbpnoman and motegicivic said and report back to us. Good luck man and no prob on the info. Its what this sites here for lol.