Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Need to unbolt flywheel on clutch install: How do you stop the flywheel from turning?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to unbolt flywheel on clutch install: How do you stop the flywheel from turning?

I'm installing a new clutch on a 94 integra gsr. I need to loosen the 12 point bolts that hold the flywheel but trying to loosen the bolts will turn the flywheel. How do you stop the flywheel from turning?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Need to unbolt flywheel on clutch install: How do you stop the flywheel from turn

1. impact gun
2. screwdriver between teeth and block
3. breaker bar on the crank
Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need to unbolt flywheel on clutch install: How do you stop the flywheel from turn

Screw driver thru one of the holes is the easiest way, its what i do
Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 AM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

I have an impact gun but it's only good for removing the bolts. I still have to hold the flywheel when I install the bolts and torque them down.

Will an impact gun damage the 12 point bolts?

Does any one have a picture of a screwdriver between teeth and block and a picture of a breaker bar on the crank?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i stick a breaker bar on the crank pulley to hold the engine in place.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use this every time i have to either remove the crank pully or flywheel.I place the chain on my unused power steering section. Always works.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used an alternator bracket bolted to one of the pressure plate holes and into a bellhousing hole
Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just put the socket/ratchet on there and hammer fist it quickly to jolt them free (somewhat like an impact gun)
Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

Has any one tried a flywheel turner tool? It is suppose to be able to turn or hold a flywheel but I don't know if it works.

Link to a pic of the flywheel turner tool:
http://diseno-art.com/products/tools...el_turner.html

Description and pic:
http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/14/finds-flywheel-turner/

There are many manufacturers of this too but which brand is best?
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...lywheel+turner
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nb0
Has any one tried a flywheel turner tool? It is suppose to be able to turn or hold a flywheel but I don't know if it works.

Link to a pic of the flywheel turner tool:
http://diseno-art.com/products/tools...el_turner.html

Description and pic:
http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/14/finds-flywheel-turner/

There are many manufacturers of this too but which brand is best?
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...lywheel+turner
Yep! flywheel tool works great!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 AM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

Will the Moroso Crank Pulley Wrench work? The Moroso Crank Pulley Wrench holds the crankshaft pulley in place. If the crankshaft pulley does not move, the flywheel will not move, right?

Description and pic:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/61805/10002/-1

Last edited by nb0; 06-07-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...or you could put a 19mm socket on the bolt on the crank pulley...

if the bolts are on REALLY tight you may actually damage the crank
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have an air ratchet and I don't have air tools. I have a powerful IR electric impact wrench but will it damage the bolts because it is up to 330 ft. lbs. torque???

Ingersoll-Rand 1/2 Inch Drive Super Duty Electric Impact Wrench:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/ir/ir8053.html

Some of the flywheel turner tools look flimsy and look like they will slip off the flywheel teeth. Which flywheel turner tool brand is the best?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a cheap electric impact gun from harbor freight $45.
When you use it lean into in with all your body weight to ensure that it does not slip and strip the bolts. Its cheap and you can hold the fly wheel with your hand. DONE
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flywheel turn/holding tools work great. I got mine off the snapon truck. 64 bucks best investment I made when it comes to doing clutchs.

Other than that screw driver, or I have even had a buddy put on welding gloves and hold it by hand. You may owe him a beer or two when it said and done.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 PM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

Speedoo, the Moroso Crank Pulley Wrench does not hold the crankshaft bolt. It holds the crankshaft pulley. There is a hexagonal opening on the crankshaft pulley and the Moroso Crank Pulley Wrench fits in the hexagonal opening.

Has any one used the the Moroso Crank Pulley Wrench to hold the crankshaft pulley in order to stop the flywheel from turning???
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nb0
I have an impact gun but it's only good for removing the bolts. I still have to hold the flywheel when I install the bolts and torque them down.

Will an impact gun damage the 12 point bolts?

Does any one have a picture of a screwdriver between teeth and block and a picture of a breaker bar on the crank?

You basically shove it thru one of the holes for the pressure plate , or any where that it can go thru the flywheel.

And you push it all the way thru till it gets caught on some of the metal behind the flywheel.

Once you start turning it usually gets caught and locks the flywheel from moving.

And dont use an impact gun, im sure if it decideds to bounce off the head of that screw while your using it, it'l rip it to shreads.

Use a breaker bar (grab a pipe to make the bar longer and get alot more torque down)

Make sure the socket is dead center on that screw, and pull hard.

It will give
Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nb0
Has any one used the the Moroso Crank Pulley Wrench to hold the crankshaft pulley in order to stop the flywheel from turning???
Use the Moroso. Have one person on one side, and you on the other. Easy as that. I do it all the time... No issues.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
nb0
Honda-Tech Member

senor taco & dntnedvtec, THANK YOU!