Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Timing belt is skipping, engine bogging

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt is skipping, engine bogging

I have a 2003 CL Type S with the 6 speed manual. I have 115k miles on it. I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump at 90k miles (timing belt was about to snap, so, got really lucky).

My car started bogging down when I hit the 4000 rpm mark. The engine would slow and not allow me to accelerate passed about 5000 rpm. The exhaust note changed dramatically, like I had a hole in the exhaust. A check engine light code talked about an ignition issue. We replaced the sparkplugs. He found the timing had skipped backwards. He adjusted the timing. Car worked fine for about 50 miles or so. We replaced the fuel pump as well. Not the coils though.

The car started to bogg down again at about 4-5000 rprm. It took a while to get a check engine light on. Finally it came on and it showed P0170 & P0172 this time. I took it back into the mechanic. He found that the timing belt had skipped FORWARD this time. He checked all the pulleys and the gears for any damage...nothing. We replaced the timing belt and tensioner again. Mechanic got the timing all adjusted again.

Here I am again, within about 50-100 miles later, the bogging starts again around 4-5k RPM.

My Mechanic is very well know in the area for Honda's. He knows his stuff, but he is at a loss for whats going on. One thought that he had is the cam shaft on the exhaust side may be seizing up. No problems seem to happen until VTEC kicks in. No issues with idle. recently the car has settled down to 800 rpm at idle, but about a month ago, it was idling high, around 2000 rpm. In april I drove from Georgia to Utah without any problem. Could the change in altitude impact this? IDK.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Timing belt is skipping, engine bogging

Originally Posted by pizzaauditor
I have a 2003 CL Type S with the 6 speed manual. I have 115k miles on it. I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump at 90k miles (timing belt was about to snap, so, got really lucky).

My car started bogging down when I hit the 4000 rpm mark. The engine would slow and not allow me to accelerate passed about 5000 rpm. The exhaust note changed dramatically, like I had a hole in the exhaust. A check engine light code talked about an ignition issue. We replaced the sparkplugs. He found the timing had skipped backwards. He adjusted the timing. Car worked fine for about 50 miles or so. We replaced the fuel pump as well. Not the coils though.

The car started to bogg down again at about 4-5000 rprm. It took a while to get a check engine light on. Finally it came on and it showed P0170 & P0172 this time. I took it back into the mechanic. He found that the timing belt had skipped FORWARD this time. He checked all the pulleys and the gears for any damage...nothing. We replaced the timing belt and tensioner again. Mechanic got the timing all adjusted again.

Here I am again, within about 50-100 miles later, the bogging starts again around 4-5k RPM.

My Mechanic is very well know in the area for Honda's. He knows his stuff, but he is at a loss for whats going on. One thought that he had is the cam shaft on the exhaust side may be seizing up. No problems seem to happen until VTEC kicks in. No issues with idle. recently the car has settled down to 800 rpm at idle, but about a month ago, it was idling high, around 2000 rpm. In april I drove from Georgia to Utah without any problem. Could the change in altitude impact this? IDK.

So an update.

My car starting bogging again. It ended up popping 8 codes:

P0300-p0306
p1399

cylinder misfire on all 6 cylinders. great. Car is bogging again. finally, yesterday it started bogging on the way to the mechanic. it wouldnt go above 2500-3000 rpm and the exhaust note was horrible, like someone yanked out the cataltic converter and forced me to run open pipe. fantastic. I turned around and basically the RPMs declined from 2500 down to 1200 or so and that was all she wrote. I pulled it to the side of the rode. It was just towed to the mechanic. we will see if the timing belt skipped forward again. gotta be something internal causing this.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
2010 Honda-Tech Poker champion

Originally Posted by pizzaauditor

If your mechanic said the cam shaft on the exhaust side could be seizing up he is a moron. It is a SOHC motor so there is no "exhaust side cam shaft". Find a new mechanic.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

p1399, isn't that from the distributor?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 AM
2010 Honda-Tech Poker champion

Originally Posted by angel_i
p1399, isn't that from the distributor?
It is a misfire code, but it is a distributorless ignition. If the timing belt is jumping it was not done right.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crank pos sensor?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Honda Tool
If your mechanic said the cam shaft on the exhaust side could be seizing up he is a moron. It is a SOHC motor so there is no "exhaust side cam shaft". Find a new mechanic.
It turns out, I misunderstood him. Guess Im the moron He was talking about the cam shaft on the side of the engine bay closest to the firewall. I believe he called it the left bank. It turns out there was a problem with the flow of oil to the left bank (I believe) and basically my engine is now burned up. he pulled apart some of the motor and found nothing but sludge on the backside of the motor. front side (right bank?) looked brand new.

Good times. Looking for a new engine.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Trial User

So now I am looking for a used motor that will fit a 2003 Acura CL type S. I dont know if the tranny type will make a difference but, I have the 6 speed manual. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to buy?