Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Target Fixation: don't do it

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Target Fixation: don't do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTGg...layer_embedded

I don't think this guy was going faster than the speed limit when he saw the cop and panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Target Fixation: don't do it

Damn, he went down like a sack of potatoes. He is lucky there was no oncoming traffic.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was some discussion on the WERA board about this video and how the cop may/may not have been doing the right thing having parked there. Interesting thought.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Quiks66
There was some discussion on the WERA board about this video and how the cop may/may not have been doing the right thing having parked there. Interesting thought.
yea but still he could have saved it if he didn't panic when he saw the cop..

something similar happen to me and a buddy riding in the woods, game warden was sitting behind a blind corner i made my buddy didn't..i was even the one leading...
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not really target fixation in the strictest sense on the term duy, but I am positive you already know that.

I'm not on the side that the officer had any liability in that incident, as per the wera discussion. I find myself more inclined with the fact that the rider simply freaked out and operated his equipment inappropriately... which as we all know can happen when you are flying down a mountain highway at unsafe speeds. I bet if we actually ask that rider his opinion he would probably admit to the error.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My big crash on Cerro Noroeste a few years ago went down JUST like that. I came around a corner and saw a tractor sitting on the side of the road and locked in on it for a second and low sided right off the corner.

I rode by the accident last week and kept kicking myself since it was NOT a hard corner to negotiate. My mind just wasn't in the right place.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM
My Name is Nobody

I can see how that could happen... It's happened to me, maybe more than once. you begin looking at where you "Think" you are going to crash... next thing you know, that's where you crash.(just as I pointed out in the highside thread a week or two ago)

I can see how that would apply to the officer video. Initially I was just looking at it as though the rider freaked out.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OH SNAP A PIGGY :falls off:
he looks to be ok, got up really quick anyways!
"officer u surprised me and so i fell off, what, no, im not drunk, hey wtf are you writing a ticket!!?? :pushes cop off cliff:"
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Couldnt help it, lol'd so hard when i watched vid
Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Reigning GDD Queen

This sort of happened to me 3 weeks ago coming down off Mt Lemon, I was going through a corner and there was a cop planted right in the dirt with a radar gun. I just barely stopped myself from grabbing the front brake before I looked back into the turn and road out just fine.

Despite having never gotten a speeding ticket in my life I'm just naturally hesitant and nervous of speed guns and parked police even if I know I'm going at a perfectly sane and legal speed, just a nasty habit I'm still working on breaking.

I think this speaks more volume about the benefits of wearing riding gear more than it does about object fixation, but a good lesson regardless.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if it was rider error, cops or people in authority are supposed to have more common sense than that. A cop is not supposed to cause a dangerous situation and thats what he did. Everyone panics for a split second when they see a cop and everyone knows that. Its no different than if a little kid would pretend to jump out in front of you when your mid corner, if you go down it was becuase of rider error but it was a situation that could be avoided and should never happen.

Bottom line, The cop knew he would see an accident when he parked there, thats why he did it.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
My Name is Nobody

Originally Posted by The Original Whitey
Even if it was rider error, cops or people in authority are supposed to have more common sense than that. A cop is not supposed to cause a dangerous situation and thats what he did. Everyone panics for a split second when they see a cop and everyone knows that. Its no different than if a little kid would pretend to jump out in front of you when your mid corner, if you go down it was becuase of rider error but it was a situation that could be avoided and should never happen.

Bottom line, The cop knew he would see an accident when he parked there, thats why he did it.
prove to comment... prove the fact that the officer KNEW he would "see and accident"

Stupid comment is very... ill advised.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npie1...eature=channel

prob same cop lulz
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MSchu
prove to comment... prove the fact that the officer KNEW he would "see and accident"

Stupid comment is very... ill advised.

Is it really a stupid comment to say startling a person on a morotcycle when they are mid turn may cause an accident? I think that video is proof enough and anyone with common sense can see that a cop sitting in that position may cause a problem. Just read the replies in this thread about the same type of situation causing people to go down

If he was sitting there for traffic enforcement purposes than he is in the wrong becuase it looks like he's in a "sit and watch" position. Even if someone was speeding around that turn he was in no position to catch them. He should be on the other side of the road facing the other direction clocking speeders out of the turns or on a straighaway.

Unless he's a rookie, people of authority are supposed to know better than that and try to avoid causing harm to the public. And if he doesn't know that or have the foresight that he could potentially cause a problem, he shouldn't be on patrol in that area.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
My Name is Nobody

I completely disagree... you are loosing site of the fact that a driver IS responsible for there own actions. Traveling at an unsafe speed where visibility is a issue IS the primary fault of this original incident. The officer had no fault and in fact I compound the fault to the rider for not being able to handle adversity on an open road. The officer caused no harm to the rider... the rider caused harm not only to himself, but possibly to others around him by traveling at unsafe speeds and by loosing control of a vehicle while in operation. ts

while no video of this exists, I can almost certainly guarantee you that others were able to negotiate the very same corner while the officer sat there with out any issue.

That being said a lawyer could possibly play this out in court in favor of the rider, but a legal ruling would still not change the facts.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I completely disagree... you are loosing site of the fact that a driver IS responsible for there own actions. Traveling at an unsafe speed where visibility is a issue IS the primary fault of this original incident. The officer had no fault and in fact I compound the fault to the rider for not being able to handle adversity on an open road. The officer caused no harm to the rider... the rider caused harm not only to himself, but possibly to others around him by traveling at unsafe speeds and by loosing control of a vehicle while in operation. ts

while no video of this exists, I can almost certainly guarantee you that others were able to negotiate the very same corner while the officer sat there with out any issue.

That being said a lawyer could possibly play this out in court in favor of the rider, but a legal ruling would still not change the facts.

You are completely missing my point. The accident is 100% the riders fault and is due to rider error, I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that cops are aware that they cause a reaction to drivers and they should have more common sense to park in a place that could potentially cause an unsafe situation and harm to the public.

I'm sure this same rider was also able to make it around that same turn without incident (like he did on the other turns in the video) when a cop wasn't sitting there. To say the officer sitting there was not a contributing factor at all to the accident is ignorant....fault aside.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
My Name is Nobody

I think you are set in your view... albeit an incorrect one.

it could have been an officer, it could have been another fallen rider, it could have been a women walking her child. the fact that because the rider witnessed law enforcement at the moment he was apexxing has very little to do with the accident... no contribution or fault can be assigned in my opinion.

Riders need to be completely immersed in the surroundings when riding.

100% rider error and incompetence, case closed.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you are set in your view... albeit an incorrect one.

it could have been an officer, it could have been another fallen rider, it could have been a women walking her child. the fact that because the rider witnessed law enforcement at the moment he was apexxing has very little to do with the accident... no contribution or fault can be assigned in my opinion.

Riders need to be completely immersed in the surroundings when riding.

100% rider error and incompetence, case closed.

You are also set in your view, incorrect as I see it...the sight of the cop in conjuction with rider error caused the accident. It could have been a woman rider on her bike, still a beginner and comming around a corner to be startled by the sight of a cop sitting there...panic and grabbing the front brake in a brief panic state. Sure, if she goes down it was becuase of inexperience but its a scenario that could be avioded if the officer was not there to startle her in the first place. The accident was still caused by inexperience, but it should have been an accident that could have been avoided by removing the contributing factor which was the cop sitting at the blind side of the apex.

Agree to disagree but I feel if a situation that could cause people to get hurt can be avoided...it should. Case in point, the cop sitting on the other side of the road, he would have ticketed the speeder for breaking the law but everyone would have been safe
Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 PM
My Name is Nobody

well there is the point where we seem to diverge even further. you seemed to have glossed over my comment that it could have been anything in the riders way(it happened to be an officer charged with public safety and law enforcement). Put a rock there, add a stopped or slowing car, toss in a deer dancing across the road.

An oncoming officer(or one sitting on the side of a road) is no less or no more of a issue in my mind than any one of a hundred different issues a rider may come across during an outing.

A rider, riding over there head, is always a recipe for disaster.

we can't see in the video, how do you know the officer wasn't just finishing some paper work from a previous traffic stop? Not that it even matter's one way or another