Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default P2647 causing limp?

as the title says, my car is throwing out P2647. is it my vtec solenoid causing this? & do i have to take it out and clean it?

04 ep3.
matchewspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: P2647 causing limp?

bump.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

nobody?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Targa250R
be professional
Garage is empty, add now

P2647 is a code for the VTEC oil pressure switch. This code is sometimes accompanied by an inability for the VTEC to physically engage, so the car won't rev above 3000 RPM or so.

Make sure that your oil level is full and that you are using either 5W-20 or 5W-30 oil - do not use a higher viscosity. You can try removing the VTEC spool valve and cleaning it out. You'll also want to remove the oil pressure switch itself from the VTEC valve and cleaning out the oil passages with some carb cleaner. Reset the computer. If it doesn't solve the problem, replace the pressure switch. They're somewhere around $60-65 IIRC. Do not over-torque it or it will break off.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

does having too much or too little oil throw out p2647 also?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Targa250R
be professional
Garage is empty, add now

How much oil is in the engine?

From a maintenance standpoint, the worst thing you can possibly do to a K-series engine is run it low on oil for an extended period of time. You WILL sludge up the VTEC and VTC oil passages and the timing chain tensioner, and if the oil pressure drops low enough you can potentially stretch the chain and/or cause it to jump teeth on the camshaft sprockets and throw out the cam timing (or worse, bend valves).

If you know that your car burns oil, check it frequently. Make it a habit. Top it off as needed every time you fill up with fuel, or every 500 miles, or every 1000 miles, or however often is needed. Don't let it drop more than a half-quart low, which is about half the distance between the two dots on your dip stick.

Even if you don't know if your car burns oil or you don't think that it does, check it anyway. Some cars don't start burning off oil until 1000-2000 miles into the oil change interval.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
How much oil is in the engine?

From a maintenance standpoint, the worst thing you can possibly do to a K-series engine is run it low on oil for an extended period of time. You WILL sludge up the VTEC and VTC oil passages and the timing chain tensioner, and if the oil pressure drops low enough you can potentially stretch the chain and/or cause it to jump teeth on the camshaft sprockets and throw out the cam timing (or worse, bend valves).

If you know that your car burns oil, check it frequently. Make it a habit. Top it off as needed every time you fill up with fuel, or every 500 miles, or every 1000 miles, or however often is needed. Don't let it drop more than a half-quart low, which is about half the distance between the two dots on your dip stick.

Even if you don't know if your car burns oil or you don't think that it does, check it anyway. Some cars don't start burning off oil until 1000-2000 miles into the oil change interval.
i actually have too much oil right now. i checked my oil on my driveway, which is slanted and it showed it was below the dots, so i added some more. then i checked it on a flat level and now i'm a little over the top dot. i'm gna drain some of it tomorrow. could this be the cause of my CEL?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Targa250R
be professional
Garage is empty, add now

No. A little over full won't hurt it. If it's a half quart or more over then you should drain some out, but just a small amount like 1/8 or even 1/4 quart won't really hurt it.

The CEL is most likely unrelated. Check the pressure switch.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
No. A little over full won't hurt it. If it's a half quart or more over then you should drain some out, but just a small amount like 1/8 or even 1/4 quart won't really hurt it.

The CEL is most likely unrelated. Check the pressure switch.
alright. it's pretty hard to find things behind the motor. -__- so little space. but tomorrow i'll look for a diagram or helm's manual to refer to. thanks for all the help!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

if i take off the vtec solenoid, will the oil in the head drain out all over my block and tranny?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
matchewspoo
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

anyone?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
David Zychek
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

I just had this problem. Thanks to this forum for the great information it provided me in solving the problem. I was chasing this "limp" issue for some time. I changed the oil pressure switch and checked the old one when I took it out. It tested out ok for continuity, did an ohms check, was about 1.3ohm. I was worried I didn't find the problem. Well I installed the new pressure switch and noticed the connector was very corroded. Ah... that's the problem! So I scrapped it with a wire brush and applied some electrode grease to the connector. Now she's running great.

I just wanted to include checking the connector for corrosion to this thread.

Thanks for all the helpful information!
David Zychek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
moe05
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

do you know exactly where the vtec oil pressure switch is located on a 05 accord 2.4??
moe05 is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
06, 10002000, 2005, 2006, accord, acura, arm, civic, element, honda, odyssey, p2647, rocker, sale, tl