Notices

89 CRX Si B18C1 GSR Swap Project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 89 CRX Si B18C1 GSR Swap Project!

anything?????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????
Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try getting an sir linkage or a hasport linkage just so you know its the right one a friend of mine welded his and i bought the hasport one, he had problems and i didnt.......i would probably try unbolting the linkage off the car but leave it hooked up to the tranny and try shifting it see what happens from there...... also too is your clutch adjusted right?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the one I got is a custom one, it wasn't done by me or anything, I think it's avid. I haven't tried taking off the linkage, I think tranny is F*****! Well now my car won't pass 5k rpm? any ideas with that?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUUUUUUMmmmp!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn Bro, Sounds like you having just about ah much fun with your swap as i am! Haha, UGh.
Did you do your wireing? Or did you by it already done?

If it wont go in to gear, car on or off, then its eather tranny or linkage.
Sorry man
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh Ya I sure am lol. I bought a made harness already, and I just ordered a new tranny today. My old one has a crack in the casing and is leaking fluid FML!
Haha all for the love of hondas huh haha
Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I haven't updated this thread in a minute and I haven't really took any pics. So now I finally got a tranny, it ended up being a YS1 short geared GSR But the tranny ended up having a bad syncro sleeve, 4th gear doesn't stay in :/ FML! Well the back of the car was super high lol, it had some tall springs so i went and bought some Arospeed coilovers on craigslist - $60 so oh well, will do for right now lol.

Well here are some more pics for right now. More to come, stockies haha!

Rear end, nice lil 2 1/4 in exhaust

Interior Shot with center console in! Just noticed the prelude seats are 2 different colors haha, anybody wanna buy em? Stock crx floor mats FTW LoL!

Finally a lil motor shot, jdm battery tie down lol, wires are a lil messy but when I get time Ima start on a wire tuck or something a lil cleaner, need an intake but don't know what to get yet?

That's it for now. Soon Ima try and get the body work done and a paint job, for sure for sure I want CBP now!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gonna get rims this weekend !
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dragonsfire776
i just bought a '88 crx with a gsr swap in it. not sure why, but the vtec wont work. i went ahead and bought a chipped p72 for it and still cant feel it pull. idk. ill just have to keep working at it. mine dont look NEAR as clean as yours though. nice work.
I could not feel VTEC kick in, either, when I fist had my GSR swap. I was OBD-0 and running the stock intake manifold. I think that was why. The manifold was "dual butterfly" and the butterflies were not hooked up. I ended up ditching the stock GSR manifold for a Skunk2 (first gen, non pro-series) unit when I swapped the engine into my Si. Still obd-0 and everything has worked great since then. I'm NOT saying this is your problem, but it may be something to investigate.

To the OP:
Don't skimp on your suspension setup. You'll regret it when your car rides like crap.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The coilovers are just for right now. The rear was lifted so high so I just wanted to drop it with some cheap coilovers, just for a bit tho.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anybody know where I can get a stock ef8 air intake tube and air box? I want to keep it looking simple and clean. What other type of intake tubes can I use to make it fit the stock gsr manifold? Battery is still in stock location??????
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll never understand why people install GSRs into other cars and keep that poopshoot of an intake manifold.

what you should do is:
1. remove that retarded IM and replace with a skunk2 unit or something similar.
2. chip the ecu so it doesn't throw ECU codes cause of the IM
3. relocate the battery to the trunk so you have more room in the engine bay.
4. fix your radiator. fab up a bracket for the driver side or find the proper bracket.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I kinda Ghetto Rigged an intake onto there haha. What do you guys think? Keep or take it off? Don't mind the rusted brake booster and bungie cord haha!

? ?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Driven
I'll never understand why people install GSRs into other cars and keep that poopshoot of an intake manifold.

what you should do is:
1. remove that retarded IM and replace with a skunk2 unit or something similar.
2. chip the ecu so it doesn't throw ECU codes cause of the IM
3. relocate the battery to the trunk so you have more room in the engine bay.
4. fix your radiator. fab up a bracket for the driver side or find the proper bracket.
Hmmm you knockin my build :/

1. I don't have the funds right now to get a skunk2 mani, going to get one for sure though.

2. Read the begging of the post, I have a chipped P28 No CEL lights

3. I'm in the process of getting an odyssey battery, and it's going in the back.

4. Going to get an eg radiator prolly this weekend, traded for some goodies I had.

5. Why you trying to bring down my build? I say I have a better swap right now than a lot of people so hmmm idk Haha!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prodigy [EM2]
1. I don't have the funds right now to get a skunk2 mani, going to get one for sure though.
it's like $150... pretty cheap.

2. Read the begging of the post, I have a chipped P28 No CEL lights
You're begging? Begging for what?

Or did you mean beginning? If you have a chipped ecu, even more of a reason to get rid of that GSR IM

3. I'm in the process of getting an odyssey battery, and it's going in the back.
it'll be worth it... just do the wiring up properly and you'll never run into any issues.

4. Going to get an eg radiator prolly this weekend, traded for some goodies I had.
The EF full row radiators are better, as they have more rows, and if you get a dual core, will provide more cooling...and they fit without any weird modifications. But, it also depends on what type of driving you're planning on doing. EG rad is really the only way to go if you plan on going turbo.

5. Why you trying to bring down my build? I say I have a better swap right now than a lot of people so hmmm idk Haha!
1. not putting down the build, other than your use of the GSR manifold.
2. this isn't a competition, so having a "better swap" won't net you any cool points, cause we don't care if you have an engine with more power... just because you found a cheap GSR doesn't make you better than anyone else. We're all playing on the same team, except thieves, they play for the terrorists.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Driven
it's like $150... pretty cheap.

You're begging? Begging for what?

Or did you mean beginning? If you have a chipped ecu, even more of a reason to get rid of that GSR IM

it'll be worth it... just do the wiring up properly and you'll never run into any issues.

The EF full row radiators are better, as they have more rows, and if you get a dual core, will provide more cooling...and they fit without any weird modifications. But, it also depends on what type of driving you're planning on doing. EG rad is really the only way to go if you plan on going turbo.

1. not putting down the build, other than your use of the GSR manifold.
2. this isn't a competition, so having a "better swap" won't net you any cool points, cause we don't care if you have an engine with more power... just because you found a cheap GSR doesn't make you better than anyone else. We're all playing on the same team, except thieves, they play for the terrorists.
Can't find one that cheap :/
Sorry typo and ya i've been wanting to buy a skunk2 mani, i might try and sell this stock one. I might get that odyssey battery soon and I'm going to put my other radiator bracket on lol. Ya I just took as if you were trying to insult my post, it's koo though, I don't have a better swap than anybody, i still rock a single on an em2. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate any ideas anybody has though
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update: Took off my front end and kinda fixed the fenders a bit since they were bent somewhat. Resprayed it a new coat of black paint. Will post pix up later!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got a set of stockies that are all 14's haha, couldn't get rims yet but soon. Looking for LS's or blades HMU. I'll take some pics later.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I ran an EF today with a B16 and gsr tranny. Ahhhh I love my HONDA lol. So still looking for a stock ef8 airbox???
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that swap would have went in way easier from the bottom but very nice swap man props
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmcarboy1990
that swap would have went in way easier from the bottom but very nice swap man props
I know, I was going to do at Honda where I used to work at but didn't want to leave the car there for too long so I just did it at a friends house, not too bad tho lol
Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GlassHeadlights
Yeah, the dizzy and ECU have to be the same OBD. Great to hear everything worked out for you! I just got a LS swap for mine for now...eventually I'll get a GSR.
No they do not! I am running an OBD2 dizzy with OBD0 wiring on an OBD1 ECU... lol you can run any dist you want you just gotta wire it up right
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prodigy [EM2]
Ya that's what I was reading (sigh) more problems lol just like any other swap lol. Well I'm going to get an obd1 gsr dizzy today and I'm going to remove the obd0 plugs on the harness and put obd1 ones so it can connect and I can run my P28

One more problem tho guys, my gears barely go in and reverse won't go in, there's tranny fluid and everything, I was thinking that just maybe (hopefully actually) it's the shift linkage is backwards? Any ideas? :/
Its probably the shift linkage. I bought some linkage from the junkyard off a swapped EF and it turns out its really crappy linkage. Someone didn't weld it up right and the pivot joint is loose so its really sloppy and its hard to go into 5th and reverse.

Quick Reply: 89 CRX Si B18C1 GSR Swap Project!