Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > All Motor/ Naturally Aspirated
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
TheCrimsonGhost666
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Honda Civic
My Garage

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to TheCrimsonGhost666
Default Advance/retard timing with stock cam gears?

Im assuming this is probably dangerous to do, but thought I would ask anyway. I have a stock ls with a gsr tranny and I/H/E, looking for some FREE power cause the car cant get out of its own way and moneys tight. A friend of mine told me I could play around with timing to get some gains, but I dont have adjustable cam gears so I would have to do it by TEETH which definately sounds like a bad idea to me, but wanted to see if anybody has tried this with positive results. I found a thread explaining what various combinations of "retarding this advancing that" would do to a turboed engine, but since im not turboed I dont know any of these would respond the same way but anyway here it is. BTW my pistons are stock ls pistons, so P2V clearence isnt a huge concern.

Advance both cams-more low end

Retard both cams- More top end, less bottom end

Advance intake cam- more mid range and maybe less top end, rougher idle and perhaps a little loss right off idle

Retard exhaust cam- engine usualy not to senstive to this, same affect as the latter but to less of a degree. Sometimes useful for matching cam to header and can sometimes see good gains, not usualy though, sometimes a little more top end

Advance exhaust cam- NA engines usualy not too senstive to this except cam matching to header. Idles smoother, sometimes a little more bottom end. Spools turbo faster and for small highly backpressured turbos can help all around power

Advance intake, retard exhaust- Rougher idle, more midrange, broader powerband, slight loss of off idle power, sometimes can gain top end on corked up head engines, more senstive to exhaust backpressure and header design

Retard intake, advance exhaust- smoother idle, narrower powerband, good trick on turbo engines with big cams, especialy small turbos on big engines with a lot of backpressure. Less senstive to intake and exhasut tuning and backpressure
TheCrimsonGhost666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
TheCrimsonGhost666
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Honda Civic
My Garage

Default Re: Advance/retard timing with stock cam gears?

If anybody would like to comment with tuning tips to squeeze out every last hp out of my car without having to buy anything, that would be great too, I cant afford the omniman video lol
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
BigBlock22
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to BigBlock22

how about some bent valves?
BigBlock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
unusual71
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

1 tooth is way too much of an adjustment its not going to work the way you think it will the only thing you will get is a motor that wont run right/at all.
unusual71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
TheCrimsonGhost666
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Honda Civic
My Garage

Thats what I figured would be the outcome, thanks for the replies.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
newtron63h
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

agreed, alot of cars these days just plain wont run if its off a tooth.......and even more of them will bend valves. best not to play with it.

id suggest 2 possibilities. save up for a vtec conversion(which can be had cheap if you look), or start saving for a turbo kit.
newtron63h is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
96, advance, advancing, cam, civic, exhaust, gear, gears, honda, intake, retard, retarding, stock, timing, tuning