Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
NOFX
H-T White Ops
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 92-95 hatch lift support removal

Having some trouble getting these things off. They seem stuck. The entire piece through the glass just spins.

Any tips or links?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
NOFX
H-T White Ops
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 92-95 hatch lift support removal

The outer cap didn't look like enough to grab with vice grips or anything, plus we don't want to damage them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
NOFX
H-T White Ops
Garage is empty, add now

Okay. He managed to get the one side off the glass, but the other side seems stuck.

The upper piece mounted to the c pillar won't come off.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
red Teggie
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

So, you're saying you can't loosen it with the wrench?
The bolt is welded on to the body, so you should be able to use the wrench to take it off.. Unless it's seized..
I recently replaced the hatch shoch and didn't have a problem..
red Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
deschlong
D__ojo__por qué__GuY
1993 Honda Civic
My Garage

iTrader Rating: (6)

No, don't grab the outer cap with vice grips or the like. You'll definitely damage it. It's made of a soft metal (aluminium?) Also, when you ARE removing the hatch support at the glass, it is VERY easy to cross-thread and ruin the threading. The best way to prevent this is to make sure the strut is fully extended (hatch glass all the way up) and then manually support the glass, removing the weight from the strut. You need a 12cm box-end spanner wrench to remove the nut ... as for the problem of it spinning in place ... I really don't know, as I never experienced that problem. Anyway, hopefully some of the other info helped.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
NOFX
H-T White Ops
Garage is empty, add now

Figured out why it was so difficult. The driver side was glued on and the passenger side was stripped.

Got it off now though. Have to replace all the pieces on the glass anyway since they were already damaged beyond repair.

Thanks for the help.

submit to reddit

Tags
1992, 92, acura, civic, diy, fasteners, glass, honda, integra, lift, rear, strut, support, trunk, window