Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

SOO besides an aftermarket BBK

Old 04-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOO besides an aftermarket BBK

hello guys

I drive a 1999 Honda Accord 4 door. I have a 4x114 lug set up.
I have disc breaks all around.
AS far as i have found, there are no after market kits for the rear. I guess i can live with that. I have seen after market kit for the front from numerous brands ( interested in a few, i dont need a 2grand brake kit for my car, its not fast! ) but i have also seen a fella that had some Acura brakes on his same model and generation car of mine. I thought that was really cool. They were naturally a little bigger and looked good. I was thinking about doing this. But i noticed he was on a 5 lug set up. So how would one go about looking for parts to do something like this? What exactly would i need? is this do able or is this a serious custom job? And i believe the acura model would be the RL, please correct if i am wrong.

Thanks for the info

Dan
Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: SOO besides an aftermarket BBK

fastbrakes.com may have a kit available. They are good people.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am running the Fastbrake kit on the rear, but it uses Honda Pilot rotors which are 5-lug. I guess you could drill them for 4-lug and it should work. Everything else is the same. the rotors are 313 mm and with a 16" wheel it would be close. I use 17's so no problem.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info lads.

checking out their website and it looks good

So is your rear a 5 lug set up? is it possible to just have it drilled to my specifications ? that would be much easier then going to a 5 lug hub IMO. So these say they are 4 pot calipers, but the stock ones are only two correct?
did you notice an increase in stopping power?

i am gonna email the fast brakes team and see whats up as well

thanks again

dan
Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 PM
TPB
Honda-Tech Member

Your tires are the limiting factor for stopping power in a street car, not bigger brakes.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I use Honda calipers, NSX on the front and Acura/Vigor on the rear. The rear has a 38 mm diameter piston. The fronts are 36 mm and 40 mm. A stock Accord piston is 57 mm. If you do the math, the NSX calipers have about the same surface area as the Accord, so no increase in pressure there. The rears are a little bigger. I run larger tires on the rear, so this helps even things out. The extra breaking comes from the increase in diameter of the rotor, which increases leverage and cooling. You should call Fastbrakes. They have a number listed on their web site. They can drill the rotors for your lug pattern if you buy theirs. They come drilled and slotted and I like them, even though they are a little different from what I run on the front.

And like TPB says, tires make a difference. Mine are 215/45/17 on the front and 225/45/17 on the rear.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info lads

fast brakes seems the way to go. They can send me a whole new kit for the front with a 12.6 in size rotars for the front with willwood 4 piston calipers, lines, etc. and like u said, bolted to my bolt pattern.

for 300 they offer and kit to upgrade the back a bit too. Seems like the best bet.

And yes i agree with what your saying on tires. MY tires are still good at the moment but when i get these brakes done i will be upgrading the tires.

I am assuming the softer compound tire will stop better, ya>

Thanks
Dan