Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Mile High DB8, sad story and a new start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mile High DB8, sad story and a new start

So here is my new build, and only thanks to a sad story has this been possible. Give you some history.
So me and my brother were sitting at a light waiting for traffic to flow so we may continue through the light. So we were sitting there when some suck bag hit me and my brother doing 45 with a F-350. pictures of my old project before and after, and a list of upgrades.

What i had in this old LS of mine,
- 1,500$ stereo with deck, subs, all new speaker, custom fiberglass box, and wiring.
-1,500$ jdm front end swap, i personally did the swap, but i am sure an average bodyshop/ import place would charge like 250$ to do it.
-95 4 door integra LS, i paid $4,200 2 years ago. It only has 154,000 miles. body is in good condition, but the swap wasn't painted yet, but i have the money to paint it i was just waiting for it to warm up. lol
-short ram intake 65$
-magno flow muffler 50$
-15" konig feathers with toyo spectrum tires about 900$
-tenzo R black rally seat i paid 50$ but the seat goes for 300$ with rails i believe, and is in excellent condition.

Before

After

thats a little history, and after that my dreams were pretty crushed, but i got screwed on what i paid for the car anyway. I posted a thread about what everyone thought i could get from the insuranace company. I said 6k to me was fair. Nobody on here thought i could do it, nor be able to keep my old car. I got 5,500 dollars and my old car. got to keep it. (all this background is important for stuff to come in the summer..)lol

So with my 5,500 dollars i sought out to find me another DB, man these things are not easy to find, with decent miles, non rice, and a clean body. So i did my looking, checking craigslist every day. Nothing worth looking at that wasnt beat up. Then one day what i thought was a green LS with 77k on it and 2 inch drop showed up. The guy wanted 3300. I kindly offered 3k sight unseen. So then i go to test drive it, in a city 2 hours away, i start it and am sitting in the drivers seat admiring the cleaness of the interior. My brother waves me to pop the hood. I do so, and then my brother and my dad exchange a few words, my brother with a giant grin on his face. I ask what, he said come look. At my amazement i find a b18c1 sitting in this engine bay, i think a swap..? Then i see the title, GSR, finally a DB8 at last. and for 3k cash, with title leathers and 77k on the body and engine. wow thank you god i said.

i made out like a bandit while i could.

when i got home i ran into some issues, although it was 2 hours of highway driving no issues. The brake pedal was soft, i had encountered this in my old LS and knew right away that it was the brake master cylinder. Since i was not in school, i had a shop install the cylinder, as they said they went through the proper bleeding procedures to ensure no damage or failure of the abs module. I was not confident in doing it myself at home.

so here she is, today after a tune up and some bolt ons.

the upgrades

short ram intake
valve breather filter
castrol syntec 5w 30 and bosch oil filter
test pipe
catback exhaust
rear tien springs
tokico blue shocks
tokico blue front springs..?
Itr shift boot
DC headers
pioneer head unit with ipod hook up.

future plans,
swapping that jdm front end onto this car(having it painted before its swapped)
D2 full coilovers
blox lower control arms(purple)
blox front upper control arms/camber kit
blox purple lugs with ARP 12x1.5 extend wheel studs
17" white rota slipstreams, yes i said 17", ehhh after thinking i might go with 16" i really want to see what a set of 17" would look like but thats an expensive lets see how this looks slammed. lol
skunk 2 intake manifold,
valve cover powder coated rally white with purple accents.
cams and built head etc.

anything people could dream of, dont want to spoil it. you will just have to wait and see.lol

here are some recent pics.

the exhaust,
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mile High DB8, sad story and a new start

And here is info on the exhaust, I got it from Speed daddy motoring on ebay, i paid i believe 135 shipped for the cat back and 40 shipped for the test pipe.

here is pics of the exhaust un installed, and a visually not so great video of the DB getting on the highway, with no silencer, sound it good, IMO it sounds like a honda with an exhaust. lol.

I had no fitment issues with this exhaust, everything lined very well, hangers are a pain to get on, and it took about maybe 30 min. if that, thats including removal and installation of both the cat back and the test pipe(and changing over the O2 sensor).
click this to watch sound video.. View My Video... click me click me
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got some parts today. yay
Password jdm balanched shift ****, purple color washer from color kit, and itr genuine shift boot. lol at my brothers lazy *** and his bk cup. lol

Password res covers, the mugen ones were just to expensive for me. lol

from left to right, outer corner light pigtail(needed, found i didnt even have one on my passenger side) magnetic engine and tranny oil drain plugs, jdm side marker and city light jumper harness, jdm headlight jumper harness

didnt get my jdm dc itr fender brackets , on back order apparently.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update, so i wet and dry compression tested my engine and performed a leak down test just for fun today, well technically its was was emissions class.

Engine is strong and healthy, 160 psi dry across the board, and 170 psi at mile high elevation, wet except cylinder one which was 145 psi wet. it was weird.

Also passed leak down test, 20% and less in all cylinders=pass, yay
while performing these tests, found i could use new plugs and the right wires. The ones i have idk are the right ones, NGK all the way on the way. lol

Also found out that the previous owner, tried to wire the outside corners for some reason and had it all messed up, so i fixed that and was so happy that i have outside corners now.

also got my christmas present from my little brother today, nothing expensive but they are cool. some stickers for the car. haha

Should have my blox front camber kit/front upper control arms by friday. Orderded them because i am in need of tires in the front and the 2 inch drop is wearin the inside of the front tires horrid.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YAY
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got my Ngk wires today, and a bunch of other stuff.. lol but the other stuff isnt for my car, its for a buddies DA
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got some new open end, 12x1.5 lugs today, ARP extended wheel studs are on the way. Doing all this because i have a nail in my front driver tire, and i have to go get it patched although i cant because either my studs are all stripped out or my lugs, so i just ordered new **** and gonna get that all fixed.. and then go get the tire fixed.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how she sat with the coils on, the asr rear subframe brace, asr rear 24mm swaybar with spherical endlinks, blox rear lower control arms, blox front upper control arms/camber kit, buddy club p1 rear camber kit, rota grids white 16x7 with 205/50/16 toyo proxes8 tires
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

these came shortly after,

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and the heart transplant jdm b18cR, with weisco 12.5:1 pistons, eagle H beam rods, acl race bearings, balanced crank, arp headstuds, crane stage 3 NA cams, stock itr valve train, 3 angle valve job, skunk2 IM port matched with polished runners, and port matched IM inlet of 70mm, plenum smoothed to 80 grit, omni power 70mm TB, rmf replica header, 550cc Rc injectors, areomotive FPR, AEM high flow fuel rail.

Itr trans, with stock LSD, with stage 5 comp clutch, and stock itr fly wheel

Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Starting tearing her down for the jdm front end off my old LS engine, and for a full mil spec wire tuck and engine bay shaving.
i found the core support on the frame rail had been crushed, more than likely do to a front end crash, because the bumper support was red, i assumed it was replaced. So we decided to use the entire jdm core support off my LS, we did the same thing on my LS, welded in the same entire core support rather than just the T bracket of the support.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i have spent my entire christmas break, shaving this engine bay, i took it to an extreme, shaving most of the firewall, and boxing off the the engine mounts for that clean *** look. I also cut most of the front metal out of side of the bay and welded in flat rounded pieces of sheet metal. Entire engine bay was seem welded also.

i went with a 00 civic Ex Starlight black, has alot of pearl and flake in it, such as green, gold red and silver. I am only painting the engine bay this color. the Car will remain the forest green color, with maybe some extra flake in it when it gets resprayed.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sad day i sanded through in two spots trying to sand out two runs, so i have to sand down those two areas, and re spray them black, and wet sand the entire engine bay amd re clear it.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good
Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man,
Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not a fan of diff color engine bay nor too shaved but the work out put into this is worth giving u pros man. keep it up and good luck on the build
Old 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ej8_KiD
im not a fan of diff color engine bay nor too shaved but the work out put into this is worth giving u pros man. keep it up and good luck on the build
I kept it clean, and made sure i still had functionality, such as the heater staying, and i didnt want a suttle change in the bay, like gold or purple or some gayness, its black on green. And thanks for the recognition of work that went into the bay. It was def work, not like most people do it, the amount of welding and actual real body work according to my grandpa who helped me do most of the work in the bay. Told me that having a good body shop attempt this would have cost me somewhere in the 6 grand range.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rice...

...haha looking good mang, hurry up and finish so we can cruise
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bay looks awesome
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sad thing is I have to wet sand the entire bay and respray it do me being a perfectionist and there being two runs in the black so I tried to sand the runs out. Sanded through the black and to the primer. So I need fix that. O well as soon as its fixed. Gonna start throwing her back together
Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bay got repsrayed yesterday, no more runs. Grandpa sanded the dirt spots out this time, because i suck at sanding after **** is painted.

also shaved my VC, thats prepped for paint.

painted my slave cylinder to match that purty tranny.

Ordered a 12oz stainless wide mouth water bottle, because i am gonna modify it to run as my power steering reservoir for my looped rack.

cleaning up the subframe and rack and possibly bolting that up, after painting it.

My homemade milspec harness is almost complete, sure hope everything works so i dont have to spend a grand on the rywire one. lol
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i want one of these. and youre doing it so right. glwb

Quick Reply: Mile High DB8, sad story and a new start