Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Hey guys some pictures for you until the next real update....

I spent a bit of time in the garage the other night doing some decorating. I finally got the picture my girfriend drew for me framed so I hung that and put up a shelf to hold some of my knick knacks

Heres a quick panorama I did so you can get an idea of where the magic will happen this winter lol.

And lastly the rear endlinks painted with POR15 ready to be installed

Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this car get driven over the winter?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TahitianGreen
Does this car get driven over the winter?
It did the past 2 years but it will be off the road this year. Partially because I have alot of new parts on that I dont want to get messed up, and partially because Im sending the shocks to be rebuilt so the car will be on jackstands for a month or so while theyre being worked on.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
It did the past 2 years but it will be off the road this year. Partially because I have alot of new parts on that I dont want to get messed up, and partially because Im sending the shocks to be rebuilt so the car will be on jackstands for a month or so while theyre being worked on.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Always loved these cars had an 04 for awhile. Honda did it right in a lot of ways interior is spot on, 5 lug (04-05), and the styling is great.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I started the new seat setup. First part of the project to tackle is the new buckle. I wanted to get rid of the ugly and bulky pre tensioner system. Plus with it mounted on the aftermarket rails I think it may be more dangerous than useful in the event of an accident.

So the solution is a 2003 Evolution 8 passenger belt buckle. Simple and to the point, and works perfectly with the EP3 male buckle.

Here is the new buckle compared to the OEM EP3 unit...

The button isnt a perfect match but close enough!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome job with the end links Evan. POR15 > Life
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I need something like that too. The problem we have is that we are only using 1 bucket seat so that creates a world of problems.

If we throw in a harness bar, then we can use a harness and be strapped onto the seat but then it becomes hard to get in back seat and you also don't want a metal bar in front of rear passengers' head. It also doesn't offer rollover protection.

If we get a roll bar then we have rollover protection but no back seat use at all and the passenger is unsafe once again with the stock seat.

The only real option we have is to get the stock harness to be fit inside the harness slots. My buckle is too tall to fit in slot. Judging by the picture it looks like the evo one is a lot shorter which will fit inside/near the slot right?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
I need something like that too. The problem we have is that we are only using 1 bucket seat so that creates a world of problems.

If we throw in a harness bar, then we can use a harness and be strapped onto the seat but then it becomes hard to get in back seat and you also don't want a metal bar in front of rear passengers' head. It also doesn't offer rollover protection.

If we get a roll bar then we have rollover protection but no back seat use at all and the passenger is unsafe once again with the stock seat.

The only real option we have is to get the stock harness to be fit inside the harness slots. My buckle is too tall to fit in slot. Judging by the picture it looks like the evo one is a lot shorter which will fit inside/near the slot right?
Yeah well here is how I see it. Takata corporation (which manufactures seat belts for most of the Japanese auto makers) has a guide which comes with their 4-6 point harnesses. Its got a chart saying that if your harness is less than a certain angle from the back of your seat then you may run them to the rear seat belt mounting points safely. If I were able to run belts within these guidelines I would use them without a harness bar.

Otherwise, your scenario is basically what the deal is and makes it difficult. But yes, since Im not planning on running harnesses Im going to try and get that buckle low enough so I can use the right hand lap slot as well as the left one Im already using.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I need to look into a shorter buckle and then I'm golden. Another problem is do you really want to daily drive in a harness? I've never been in a car buckled in with one but I'm pretty sure you can't reach over anything with that holding you locked in 1 place lol. Even if you do use the rear seat belt mounting points you will loose the backseats use. You can get away with it and I suppose I can too since I rarely have anyone sit in the back anyways. I'd like to keep my rear seats but at the same time I'm not sure if I want convert to a 2 seater.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I need to look into a shorter buckle and then I'm golden. Another problem is do you really want to daily drive in a harness? I've never been in a car buckled in with one but I'm pretty sure you can't reach over anything with that holding you locked in 1 place lol. Even if you do use the rear seat belt mounting points you will loose the backseats use. You can get away with it and I suppose I can too since I rarely have anyone sit in the back anyways. I'd like to keep my rear seats but at the same time I'm not sure if I want convert to a 2 seater.
Yeah nah thats why Im not going to run a harness. Ive been searching high and low for a non SRS female buckle that would work with the EP3 male buckle just for that reason. The 2002+ cars with the SRS use a different shape buckle than the older Hondas so thats why I ended up using and Evo buckle.

Plus even on track you just move your seat back a little bit, lock the 3 point belt and move back up to pull it tight to you. No need for a harness in a street car even if its driven on track
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish this thread wasnt so dead!

Regardless, heres another installment on the seatbelt/bracket project. Tonight I did all the wiring for the SRS pre-tensioner and seat belt light delete. Since the New buckle will not utilize either I needed to fake out the computer to think that both were plugged in and working to keep the rest of the SRS system functional.

I started with the SRS plug. All I needed to do with this (and bypassing pretty much any SRS component) was jump it with a 2.2 ohm resistor.

Next up was the leads for the buckle itself (ground, seatbelt light signal, and SRS signal). I had to do some testing with the multimeter to see exactly which leads needed to me jumped/disconnected. I ended up having to remove the dash light lead, and jumping the SRS lead to ground.

And here we go... Both jumpers installed. Nice and clean

Tucked away!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pic #2 is too ****ing legit

I thought I was bugging you and wasting your time but good thing I'm keeping the thread flowing lol. Which brew is that on the background?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive also been working on this little project the last couple days. It took a while to source the hardware but it was worth it in the end!

So after driving daily driving for 2 years including winters the black oxide coated hardware on my pedals was starting to get pretty rusty, and every time I saw it it bugged the **** out of me. I decided to go all out and do stainless allen head cap screws like the OEM Honda Access pedals.

Here is the original philips head hardware (LAME)

The new stainless M4 hardware with nyloc nuts

Installed and fresh to death!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pic #2 is too ****ing legit

I thought I was bugging you and wasting your time but good thing I'm keeping the thread flowing lol. Which brew is that on the background?
Haha nahh dude never wasting my time bro

Brew is just some Harpoon IPA. Just the regs after work brew. Got some Brooklyn beer if Im feeling squirrely
Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

F2D on the pedals for sure, I love how those look. Can't wait till Im 21 to start trying out diff stuff. I'll be asking you for recommendations =]
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never cease to amaze me E

Lovin the updates man
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thread's not dead... lol, i check it out everyday, just never post... love the car, i think i may like the eg better though... lol
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

F2D on the pedals for sure, I love how those look. Can't wait till Im 21 to start trying out diff stuff. I'll be asking you for recommendations =]
Yeah dude for sure... Whens the birthday? Theres a new place opening up in bellingham soon. British Beer Company I think is the name. Basically like a coffee shop but for beer. Huge menu with a bunch of stuff on tap (and the brand new taps will be so tasty ) Ill def be there to grab a brew after work most days out of the week so youll have to meet up once youre 21

Originally Posted by skipunk4
Never cease to amaze me E

Lovin the updates man
Thanks coop!

Originally Posted by ossirisus1
thread's not dead... lol, i check it out everyday, just never post... love the car, i think i may like the eg better though... lol
Hah nice man. The EG was a sick build but as far as driving the car every day I have to say I prefer the EP

Last edited by SHG_EasyE; 12-08-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The small things that no one will ever notice but you is what makes your builds inspiring. I know I've done some stuff on my car that no one will ever see, but it makes me feel much better when it's done.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously E, great attention to detail. I'm a fan of everything you've done.

Steve
Old 12-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WhiteSlipsWithStickers
The small things that no one will ever notice but you is what makes your builds inspiring. I know I've done some stuff on my car that no one will ever see, but it makes me feel much better when it's done.
Originally Posted by k-series
Seriously E, great attention to detail. I'm a fan of everything you've done.

Steve
Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Evan going innn!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Said it on FB but I'll say it again garage looks dopee.. actually seems like a decent size the car is in all the way in the pic right?? Updates are awesome I love how the start button came out. I got some dragon plate left over from the crx I got some things in store for the EM1
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Order of Merit

Evan, you need to come to PA and do the SRS bypass to my steering wheel & my seatbelts

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...