Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Best place for Race Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place for Race Pads?

So wheres the best place to find track pads? Ive spent the past hour searching and all I can really find is Hawk & EBC, Im driving a EG Civic with the typical front/rear GSR brake swap.

I found one place that sells Performance Friction pads but their application guide merely said "Honda", from the diagram it appeared that it was an Integra pad but I dont feel like paying $170 for a set of the wrong pads.

I also found one place that sells Pagid pads, but only for Type R's.

Perhaps I should ask, whats a good pad for a Novice Time Trials driver? I drive the car to the track and also participate in occasional autocrosses, but other than that the car is only driven on the track.

Im heeding the advice received from the Wilwood thread I made, and perhaps the Wilwood BBK would be a bit too much brake for me at this point. Im thinking perhaps I should just run what I have along with a decent set of pads and Brembo blanks.

Ill step up to the Wilwood kit when my skills require.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best place for Race Pads?

Contact Porterfield,they sell many brands as well as make thier own.Great place.

PFC 01,Raybestos R4 or Hawk Black,or maybe the next up is Blue, are what I recommend for you.

-J
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Justin, never came across them in my search.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
PM Garage

Try Pepboys they carry the Hawk HPS - street pad for like $30 bucks or so they are adequate for the track and back and especially novice. I took my Honda Fit to AAA Speedway and Buttonwillow loved them I am a novice too and they kept up. As I learn I will upgrade.

Note: This is in California I had to call around and fine the biggest Pepboys to get them I think they are try to phaze out the Hawks or something like that you probably could find them for the same price online. Oh yeah they do create more brake dust than stock gl.

Make sure you break them in properly I did them the day before AAA Speedway and I had to break them in on the track not to good especially when you are trying to learn.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I faded a set of HPS pads within one session. HP+ would be a much better track pad, especially for brake-happy noobs.

Try also: Cobalt Friction and Carbotech. Search for "Brake pads" here in the RRAX forum and you should turn up more information than you know what to do with. Use these directions for the most accurate results: https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/search-2631268/
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cobaltfriction.com/

go to applications and view the oe caliper PDF. you'll find your make and model And then a pad part number.

FYI race pads aren't good on the street I wouldn't recommends running a cobalt pad on the street they'll wear out quick and just be annyoing.

Stick to something like a HP plus or something along those lines.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

www.brakeswap.com
tell him randomracing refered you
Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really like the Hawk DTC 60 pads. have had zero issues for autox or track days. and no issues on the street either.
92 civic 4 door, B20, w/ 99 Si front and rear brake swap.
Tirerack had the best price on DTC60 that i found.

I Don't see DTC60 for GSR listed on Tirerack.
for some reason even the HT 10 are much cheaper for the 99 si (HB275S.620) then for the GSR(HB245S.631) $120 vs. $170.
i guess cause it's an Acura!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my dtc 60s.
I use entrophyracing.net for my pads. Just figure out what you want to use and charlie will get it for ya. If your not sure, give him a call and he'll work with ya to find what u need.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by slammed_93_hatch
FYI race pads aren't good on the street I wouldn't recommends running a cobalt pad on the street they'll wear out quick and just be annyoing.

Stick to something like a HP plus or something along those lines.
Sounds like the OP isn't going to run them on the street.

Race pads do have downsides when used on the street; noise/squealing, dust (some of them are corrosive and impossible to remove once they get wet), and ineffectiveness when they haven't been warmed up. Wearing out quick is not usually true though.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i street drove my last racecar, it lived on ht-10s all day every day with no problems (fyi if you wanted to leave race pads in all summer long)
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found that topbrakes.com has a pretty good selection. I haven't ordered from them yet, but will be soon.

Here are a list of pad brands that I want to try for the track in the future:

-Hawk dtc-60 (this is what I currently use)
-ferrodo
-pagid
-EBC bluestuff (i've got these on special order from the UK through the US branch since they don't sell them in the US yet)
-performance friction
-there were a couple others too, forgot what they were though. sorry.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
Sounds like the OP isn't going to run them on the street.

Race pads do have downsides when used on the street; noise/squealing, dust (some of them are corrosive and impossible to remove once they get wet), and ineffectiveness when they haven't been warmed up. Wearing out quick is not usually true though.
I've seen it, and heard others report it.

This is with city driving though. ~10 to 15 minute trips, and 45 minute trips across town..
Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im currently running a set of Volk CE28's that I REALLY do not want to ruin due to brake dust.

I have no problem with getting brake dust on them, but I DO NOT want the "destroys wheels when it gets wet" kind of brake dust. I do live in the Pacific NW and rain at the track, or on the way to and from the track is highly probable.

Any first hand experience on a pad that will suit my needs without destroying my wheels?

I plan to get a set of wheels I am less protective of, but Im not ready to buy another set of wheels yet.

I sincerely appreciate all of you and your input.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Atmosfear
Im currently running a set of Volk CE28's that I REALLY do not want to ruin due to brake dust.

I have no problem with getting brake dust on them, but I DO NOT want the "destroys wheels when it gets wet" kind of brake dust. I do live in the Pacific NW and rain at the track, or on the way to and from the track is highly probable.

Any first hand experience on a pad that will suit my needs without destroying my wheels?

I plan to get a set of wheels I am less protective of, but Im not ready to buy another set of wheels yet.

I sincerely appreciate all of you and your input.
I have run several Hawk pads, including HPS, HP+ and DTC-60. The first two are for on street, and the 60's are for on track. I have let the dust sit on my wheels, even wet, and never had a problem getting my wheels clean
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really? I have read several people saying the HP+ is the biggest culprit.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up melting a set of hawks. I have been really unhappy with them in the couple sets I used to run. Since then:
I found the cheapest good pad to use is the performance friction from autozone. yes autozone.... they are about $35 and if you're just track whoring for fun you can't beat it.

as for a higher quality pad - i now enjoy Porterfield's. Porterfield is a very good company and offer great pads for a good price. For your application the R4-S would be good on the track while still tolerating the colder braking performance of an autocross.

And as far as the break dust - the hawks create thunderclouds compared to the Porterfield pads... But that shouldnt be an issue as long as you clean your wheels.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by Atmosfear
Really? I have read several people saying the HP+ is the biggest culprit.
Not true at all. I've been using the HP+ on and off for many years - I bet I've used over 20 sets - and I've never had any problems washing it off, even when it's been rained on. Yes, it dusts a lot (the dust is reddish colored), but the dust washes off easily.

The biggest, most notorious culprit is the Hawk Blues (9012 compound), which will harm wheels and paint. Sounds like someone may be confusing the HP+ with the Blues.

Others that have caused serious problems for me when wet include the old version of the Carbotech Panther Plus, and the new version of the Cobalt Friction GT Sport.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been running the HP+ for street and track use and have found the same thing as nsxtasy.

I definitely get tons of brake dust, I can see it on my black rims quite easily however it easily washes off with some soap and water so it doesn't really bother me that much.

One thing I did notice was that the HP+ didn't squeal as much as I thought they would for street use, I did notice that they take some time to warm up but nothing too bad. I usually just drive to the track with them anyway.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Others that have caused serious problems for me when wet include and the new version of the Cobalt Friction GT Sport.
No more GTsport from cobalt.

But all of the Cobalts pads can be harsh on wheels.

Looked back over the emails, and the guys are complaining that the rotors get destroyed quickly, not the pads.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've been reading, the race compounds are abrasive to rotors if used cold. With that said...rotors are cheap.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by fireant
From what I've been reading, the race compounds are abrasive to rotors if used cold. With that said...rotors are cheap.
Yup. Also, since you're using them on the track, you'll probably be replacing the rotors when they start to crack, before they ever reach minimum spec for thickness.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had Cobalt GTSports for a year... great initial bite, and the dust pitted my wheels.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup. Also, since you're using them on the track, you'll probably be replacing the rotors when they start to crack, before they ever reach minimum spec for thickness.
This brings up a good point, having only been involved in autocross/rallycross up until now, Ive never put enough stress on my brakes to develop cracks in the rotors.

Are the cracks pretty evident or is there a specific way they should be inspected periodically to check for cracks?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know how the Ferodo DS2500's compare to HP+ for Track Day use? I cant seem to find good temp numbers for HP+s.