Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

?? 97 Civic - ODD NO START SOMETIMES - no spark or fuel??

Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? 97 Civic - ODD NO START SOMETIMES - no spark or fuel??

First I apologize for making a "car wont start Thread" I have read ever thread on this site concerning the topic. None contain my exact symptoms. Seems there are some very knowledgeable guys here.
Now here it is.

1997 Honda Civic (daily driver)

Sometimes the car wont start, I dont hear the main relay click so I dont get fuel or spark, engine just spins freely. Then after a while it may click and drive fine for weeks.
Sometimes it wont start, I dont hear the main relay click . So I pull and check all the fuses that are recommended to check even replacing them, checked all the grounds and still wont work. Went and bought new main relay, still NO start. Then out of the blue I hear the main relay click and it starts.
Ok now its runs fine for few days and now it will cut OFF within 30sec's of running. ???Did this 3 times and each time cutting off exactly same place.? So I pull the negative cable on battery wait 5 min's and I finally hear the main relay click and it starts. ?????
Very ODD. What you guys think? I cant rely on this car acting like this.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?????? ODD NO START SOMETIMES ????????

Bump
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpx2
Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you ALWAYS hear the fuel pump prime?

if so check for spark in the dizzy,

may be time to replace some ignition parts or the battery, etc
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM

I installed my civic battery wrong and now it wont start, i put in a new distributor, a new ecm, a newfuse under the dash, and it wont start still. I checked for spark coming out of the distributor and still no spark. I then changed the battery to a new one still nothing. The civic still turns but no spark coming from the distributor. I even tried the distributor on another civic and my ECM and still they work fine...i know the fuel pump still is good and i put the civic on timing and that didnt work, my interior lights and everything works it just turns and turns but it wont start. anyone know what else it be?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the car start if you hit the gas pedal while cranking? Maybe the car isn't getting enough air.

Or maybe it has no gas.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
do you ALWAYS hear the fuel pump prime?
No, when it doesnt start it gets No Spark and No Fuel pump prime at all. I changed the main relay today and still no start. I even jump the pins in the mainrelay harness to hot wire the fuel pump on and it worked, but when I put a brand new Main relay in it wont work. Im loosing my mind with this one guys.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like we experienced the same thing, check my thread:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/preemptive-diagnosis-need-educated-advice-please-2692707/

I also linked another thread towards the end of my thread of someone else with the same problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man but Geeze I hope its not the ECU.. How else can I test the ECU to see if its bad? I dont have a Check Engine Light. I did the test where you jump that harness with 2 wires and got the SRS light to blink for me but never see the Check Engine Light come on. I got the car to start up one time by disconnecting the Neg. battery termanal and waiting few min. and hookin it back up. Worked for a Day. Next morning, No Start?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Here, next time you start it (or try) and it doesn't start check to see if the Check Engine Light (CEL) stays on constant. Under normal conditions, it will come on once you put the key to the II position but turn off shortly after (at the same time you'd normally hear the main relay click). Up top I think you said that the fuel pump isn't priming because the relay isn't clicking. Take notice of the CEL and see if it stays on.

If it does, do the easiest thing first and check the ground to make sure it is clean and making a good contact. Also, you can do like the other guy did in the other thread and make some quick connectors to test the main relay with the battery directly.

You can also try searching for a downloadable form of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car and following the trouble shooting sequence in there (basically what you're doing now anyway and what the other guy and I did too).
Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would anyone with knowledge and 5min's to spare be willing to call me? Seriously I only need 5min's. My situation is odd to me.
As a recap:

Car starts sometimes then sometimes it starts and cuts off exactly 1 min after driving. Then when it dont start I wont hear the MainRelay click. I checked All fuses I checked All Grounds. I have bought a brand new MainRelay, When it dont start I dont hear the fuelpump prime and I pulled a spark plug wire with spark plug attached and cranked it to see if I get spark.. NO spark. So no spark, No fuel prim.

So some one please chime in if you have real experience and are willing to give a fellow car guy in need. All I ask is 5 min's of your time to direct me.

Thank you to all that have posted in a attempt to help me in my time of need.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for the night time Honda Tech's
Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

I'd call but I'll say the exact same thing I posted above. Have you checked to see if the CEL stays on when the key is turned to the II position?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To me it sounds like ur Main Relay is the issue here... After time, due temp changes and vibration, tiny hair-line cracks gather around the connections. I've had this happen to my cars in the past... Simply resolder the connections. You don't even need solder... just take a solder iron to the existing solder to fuse it back together.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a BRAND NEW MAIN RELAY. My Cel Light does not come on at all. Maybe the bulb is burned out.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ic... Well, I forward this query over to a friend... see what he has to say because at this point, you could have a few different issues going on and I'm not going to send you on a wild goose chase with my ideas.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE.. intermittent problem

Well I know have my dash pulled and still cant find the problem.

This thread is old and like it said at the beginning some times it starts some times it dont. Well its only gotten worse threw the year. Used to be the main relay wouldnt click and the fuel pump wouldnt prime. Then wait few hours and it would... its gotten progressivly worse.. Now it will go weeks without starting.
New Main relay
New ECU out of 98 civic
New ignition switch wireing
New A/T position sensor

WTF NOW?

I did test the main relay according to service manual and found that I dont get voltage from terminal #2 and body ground.. Thats fuse #31 under dash.. Fuse is not blown but no power at it either.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisVette
I did test the main relay according to service manual and found that I dont get voltage from terminal #2 and body ground.. Thats fuse #31 under dash.. Fuse is not blown but no power at it either.
I can help you.

97 Civic, right? You may be confusing 5th and 6th generation Civics. You have a 6th generation Civic, in which case you need to test voltage to body ground at main relay terminals 5 and 7. Voltage at these two terminals comes from 15A dash fuse 13 or 15A hood fuse 44, respectively (see fuse box diagrams in the FAQs sticky). The tests are done by unplugging the main relay connector and testing voltage to body ground at terminal 5 (key in ON(II)) or terminal 7 (key off). Post your results.

Did you already clean/sand and tighten the G101 ground attached to the thermostat housing?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I can help you.

97 Civic, right? You may be confusing 5th and 6th generation Civics. You have a 6th generation Civic, in which case you need to test voltage to body ground at main relay terminals 5 and 7. Voltage at these two terminals comes from 15A dash fuse 13 or 15A hood fuse 44, respectively (see fuse box diagrams in the FAQs sticky). The tests are done by unplugging the main relay connector and testing voltage to body ground at terminal 5 (key in ON(II)) or terminal 7 (key off). Post your results.

Did you already clean/sand and tighten the G101 ground attached to the thermostat housing?
Ya Ron I did. I hit it with the dremal wire brush..lol.. Im going to try exactly what you describe tomorrow and post back results. Thanks again for taking the time to help..
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I can help you.

Ok Ron I tested terminal 5 with key in on position.= 12.2 volts
tested terminal 7 with key in off position.= 12.2 volts
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?? 97 Civic - ODD NO START SOMETIMES - no spark or fuel??

Just checked for continuity between terminal #3 and Ground G101 on thermostat.

Checks out perfect. I can cross that off the list.

Last edited by Former User; 04-20-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

K just checked continuity between terminal #7 and Fuse 44.. that checked out good.
then checked continuity between terminal #5 and Fuse 13.... that checked out good.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plug back in the main relay connector, and now unplug ECU connectors A and B. Use a jumper wire to ground terminal A16 (Grn/Yel wire) to the metal frame under the dash. Now when you turn the key to ON(II), does the fuel pump run?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ?? 97 Civic - ODD NO START SOMETIMES - no spark or fuel??