Notices

New engine break in with synthetic oil.. Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine break in with synthetic oil.. Bad??

Okay I just got my motor up and running from the shop and I was trying to break it in. I have put about 190 miles on it already. Some city and mostly highway miles. Then decided to do research how how to properly break in a new rebuilt engine and everyone is saying that I should not use synthetic oil. Guess what I put synthetic oil in my engine.

Do you think my rings are mess up?

Im going to change the oil out before I drive it again.

Is there anything I need to do differently since I already put 190 miles on the motor with synthetic oil?

thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New engine break in with synthetic oil.. Bad??

well you already ran synthetis so keep running it .. i would just do another compression test and leakdown test if you done them when you first built the motor to compare what the engine is going threw
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the purpose of using the regular oil is to allow the rings to break-in properly...you also have a lot of metallic particles left over from the build in the motor..this break in oil will clean it out.. the synthetic oil is very slippery and u dont want that with a new motor..i would drain the oil out and put regular non-synthetic oil in..theres no point in doing a leakdown test or anything of the sort..i dont think thats really gonna tell u much..
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only reason ppl don't break in with synthetic is it puts a super slick coating on the surface of the metal and to seat the rings u want the rings to rub the cylinders without the super slick coating on them for at least 20 minutes at 2500rpm to seat. Ppl do things thier own way tho and the worst thing in ur case is the rings didn't seat properly and u'll have alil exsessive blow by maybe smoke alil.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill cross my fingers that everything is okay.. im gonna change out the expensive oil and put in some cheap dino oil and probably do compression test and see. Thanks guys... got a little worried.. oh well... lesson learn
Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostatic
the purpose of using the regular oil is to allow the rings to break-in properly...you also have a lot of metallic particles left over from the build in the motor..this break in oil will clean it out.. the synthetic oil is very slippery and u dont want that with a new motor..i would drain the oil out and put regular non-synthetic oil in..theres no point in doing a leakdown test or anything of the sort..i dont think thats really gonna tell u much..
so are you saying u will not be able to obtain any information from a leakdown test or compression test if it has been done when the motor was origianly built?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could just be me but i've never seen anyone do a compression test or leakdown test on a freshly built motor..but ur rite in a perfect scenario that would be nice to compare..and a compression test would be nice with a fresh motor..i'm not knocking wut ur sayin..its just my opinion..but only after 190 miles..thats not many miles..but yes the break in happens fairly quickly..
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just used tbo torco break-in oil.... get rid of all your headaches
Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran synthetic for break-in, over 3500 miles on motor and no problems, no smoke. i do have blowby, but it's not excessive and i'm also running a custom breather setup on my car too
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't be concerned. The synthetic only makes break in (in theory) take longer than regular oil. Do some load pulls and back off it and let it decel in gear. If you see smoke, keep doing it here and there until 500 miles. Eventually they'll seat. If you don't see any smoke, more than likely your rings have seated already, drive until the first oil change at 500 miles, and live life.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats one of the reasons u dont put in synthetic oil at break in cuz ur drainin it out in a couple hundred miles anyway..huge waste of money
Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my engine quit smoking within the first two minutes of startup and never smoked a bit after and i was pulling at 6-7 psi of boost after 25 miles break-in