Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

At what speed do Honda airbags deploy

Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
99r
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what speed do Honda airbags deploy

What speed are the airbags on a 1999 Honda Civic supposed to deploy?
If you don't have factory specs or some where showing factory specs don't reply. I need actual information and a source.
thanks guys
Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: At what speed do Honda airbags deploy

well, technically, 0mph
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
well, technically, 0mph
LOL of course....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=at+what+speed+do+airbags+deploy
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The air bag Isnt connected to the speedo upon collison it depends on how hard the bumper is pushed. how fast the other car was going toward youl.. go look it up

Last edited by 97ej6dx; 01-22-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
99r
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95jdmcivic
Any idiot could do that, and this one did.
(that jokes out)

If you read I'm looking for Honda specific airbag information.

97ej6dx you have no idea what your talking about.
Fyi yes the air bags are connected to your spedo, it detects the speed at which you decelerate in a crash.
Us bumper laws require the bumpers to be compromised at 5mph and over.
They are called 5mph bumpers. I know this. Im asking about airbags.
TOTALLY different parts man.
Can I have some straight technical information not some bullshit talk out your ***?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not so much how fast you're going that determines the action of the airbag but more the force of the impact. However much force it takes to trigger whichever type of sensor is predetermined by the method of electrical contact utilized by the sensor. If you really can't find it, just call Honda.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99r
Any idiot could do that, and this one did.
(that jokes out)

If you read I'm looking for Honda specific airbag information.

97ej6dx you have no idea what your talking about.
Fyi yes the air bags are connected to your spedo, it detects the speed at which you decelerate in a crash.
Us bumper laws require the bumpers to be compromised at 5mph and over.
They are called 5mph bumpers. I know this. Im asking about airbags.
TOTALLY different parts man.
Can I have some straight technical information not some bullshit talk out your ***?

What is your problem man ? Fyi you are wrong. The airbag sensor sense sudden change in direction similar to an accelerometer only its in form of a mercury switch... your airbags still go off when your car is hit from the front from a stand still...
We know what we are talking about if you cant accept that go some where else
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-airbags don't accept a signal from the ECU at all. the ECU receives a signal from the airbags showing operation only, closed or open circuit. the SRS system is completely independent from the vehicles ECU with the exception of that light on the dash.

-there is no "specific technological Honda" information, all regulations and requirements are from the NHTSA/DOT and must be followed by Honda (or any manufacturer) or any of its vendors who supply Honda (or any other manufacturer) with parts and equipment. the NHTSA/DOT regulation calls for all airbag deployments in crashes with at least equivalent in deceleration to a 23KM/H (14MPH) barrier collision and for the automatic deployment of airbags in which temperatures reach over 300ºF in the event of fire. that's it, just 2 "requirements" for every manufacturer that produces vehicles which are available for purchase within in the USA.

-source: FMVSS 208
Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From my knowledge (could be inccorect)

The SRS unit, crash sensors and speed sensor detect different variables in which to deploy the air bag. For instance if the vehicle determins that you've gone from 1 speed to another in a certain amount of time it considers that as a collision and will deplot the air bags accordingly. and the crash sensors indicate where on the vehicle you were hit, take variables on how much damage there is, as well the rate of decelleration.

Honda air bags are a 2 stage air bag. it will deploy differently depending on the type of hit and amount of damage that is calculated by the vehicle. It wont deploy the same in 2 different collision test (unless the collisions we of the same magnitude)

This is just what i understand of Honda air bag systems. Once you get into the newer hondas there are way morevariables the vehicle takes in to consideration when a collision is determined. Sometimes if the vehicle thinks it will cause more harm then good it might not even deploy air bags.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is correct that the bags can deploy at 0 mph. If you are sitting in your car with it running and someone hits you with enough speed, the airbags will deploy. Typically, deployment happens when the collision happens within so many degrees from head on. IE: 45 degrees either way from head on may deploy the airbags if the inertia is high enough for the module to command it. About the only thing the speed signal is good for is to acquire data from the module after an accident. The module will record about the last 5 seconds of information before airbag deployment (speed, brakes applied, throttle position, and other pertinent information).

So, as already stated, the force of the impact determines whether or not airbags deploy; not speed. You also have to be hit in a certain way for bags to deploy (side impacts will not deploy front airbags unless the hit is very hard).
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 AM

there isnt an actualy speed at which they deploy.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
99r
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vtec_Dakota
there isnt an actualy speed at which they deploy.
Lol thanks mr obvious.

Let me rephrase my question so you all can understand.
I figured it would make sense saying speed.

[QUOTE]
deceleration to a 23KM/H (14MPH) barrier collision
[QUOTE]
Im looking for information like that. Whats the minimal amount of force (which can be converted into speed) in a frontal crash does it take to deploy.

blackaneseman you have any reliable sources?

97ej6dx are you just pulling information out of your ***?

Any one who actually knows something about airbags and crash recreation and physics?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=99r;41328390]Lol thanks mr obvious.

Let me rephrase my question so you all can understand.
I figured it would make sense saying speed.

[QUOTE]
deceleration to a 23KM/H (14MPH) barrier collision
Im looking for information like that. Whats the minimal amount of force (which can be converted into speed) in a frontal crash does it take to deploy.

blackaneseman you have any reliable sources?

97ej6dx are you just pulling information out of your ***?

Any one who actually knows something about airbags and crash recreation and physics?
DUDE ITS COMMON PHYICS Did you not take a physics class ?? thats like one of the first things we learned in mine in HS when we started learning about Momentum they used airbag sensors as an ex. object in motion stays in motion until acted upon by an outside force.. the airbag sensor Detects that outside force whether it be A car hitting you at rest or you hitting a car changing your velocity. Any sudden change in momentum of a certain force causes the airbag sensor to go off. in older vehicles it was a mercury switch in new vehicles its an accelerometer. If you want to know so bad instead of being a dick to all of us why dont you look it up yourself instead of telling us we dont know what were talking about when were trying to help you.

and seriously What is up with the additude?? Do you actually think your better than every one in here or something? YOU ASKED US we told you.. you don't like it.. Go some where else. Your just pissing people off now.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn OP you sure are pushy wanting favors from people you don't know.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
What is your problem man ? Fyi you are wrong. The airbag sensor sense sudden change in direction similar to an accelerometer only its in form of a mercury switch... your airbags still go off when your car is hit from the front from a stand still...
We know what we are talking about if you cant accept that go some where else
^^^ this guys got it right.. if you don't want to hear correct information 99r GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.. stop e-thugin it when you don't know what your talkin about..
Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the OP just isn't phrasing his/her question correctly. Basically there has to be some movement somewhere for the air bag to go off. Either car A, with the air bag in question, is moving and hits something. Either car A is stationary, and is hit by the moving car B. Or car A is moving and hits car B, that is moving in the opposite direction.

So there either has to be a specific speed that is involved, or a certain specific force (maybe pounds per square inch, or pounds per square foot), that would cause an air bag to deploy. The OP seems to be asking what that specific speed or force is.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

connect a battery to the airbag and see if it ignites. Dont forget to hold a knife in front of it with the blade towards you, just incase.

Its people like this OP that makes hondatech suck. ClubWRX ftw =P
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To the OP: call Honda and ask. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that no one aside from the engineers of the airbag system will know how much force it takes to deploy the airbag. I could be wrong, but if Honda doesn't know, then no one knows.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
I think the OP just isn't phrasing his/her question correctly. Basically there has to be some movement somewhere for the air bag to go off. Either car A, with the air bag in question, is moving and hits something. Either car A is stationary, and is hit by the moving car B. Or car A is moving and hits car B, that is moving in the opposite direction.

So there either has to be a specific speed that is involved, or a certain specific force (maybe pounds per square inch, or pounds per square foot), that would cause an air bag to deploy. The OP seems to be asking what that specific speed or force is.
We know what he is asking but he is being a dick so if he wants the answer he can look it up himself.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I guess he worded it wrong. The real question should be "what is the force threshold that causes an airbag to deploy" Even then, it's a pretty hard question. I've parted out a LOT of hard hit cars. Some of them did NOT deploy the airbags when you'd think they would have. Speed is not the determining factor nearly as much as "hitting the sweet spot".

Reading this should give you a little better idea as to what's going on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

Now, for "speed at which an airbag deploys" I think these pics will tell you that sometimes you have to be going over 14 mph to get the bags to deploy:

the bags did not deploy in these cars that I parted out (well, did not part the last one out; just ran the wreck):

1998 Camaro Z28. This thing had to be going at least 25......
Name:  doorbar.jpg
Views: 5204
Size:  35.5 KB
Name:  98zrear.jpg
Views: 5442
Size:  36.4 KB
Name:  PewterCamaro1.jpg
Views: 5186
Size:  35.6 KB
Name:  PewterCamaro2.jpg
Views: 5320
Size:  37.5 KB

This one at least 20 or 30, right?
Name:  35thdr.jpg
Views: 5330
Size:  50.2 KB
Name:  35thfrt2.jpg
Views: 5270
Size:  49.2 KB

Hard to even understand where the dash is in this car anymore but the bags did not deploy. Pretty sure you'll agree the speed was over 14 mph on this one, too....
Name:  What1.jpg
Views: 5623
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  What2.jpg
Views: 5735
Size:  35.5 KB
Name:  What3.jpg
Views: 6258
Size:  35.8 KB
Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that cavalier is TOAST those things are death traps HORRIBLE crash test ratings
Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 PM
99r
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon

Exactly.
Say Car A hits the side of Car B. How much force would it take for the airbags in Car A to deploy?
Like what minimal speed would it take to create the amount of force to deploy the airbags? In a frontal I'm pretty sure the sweet spots gonna be hit.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I clearly stated that if you don't have any concrete sources with information, you have no experience with accident recreation and know the physics, don't say anything because I don't wanna know "my buddy hit a tree at 50 and his didn't go off".
Stop gettin all your panties in a bunch dude its the net and you don't know if I'm joking with you or not.

If you know what im asking 97ej6dx and your so amazing with your high school physics, then how come you can't answer the question?
We didn't use airbags to talk about deceleration.
I'm not trying to be a dick but dude your not helpin and your postin all up in this man.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

14 mph The US NHTS Standards are 14 mph or equal Energy impacted in a frontal collision. There is your answer. You weren't trying to be one but you were one so maybe next time don't come off as one. There are other ways of telling some one things rather then being so cocky. All you do is **** off people
Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
99r
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you get that info?
Well I apologise for being a dick.
Thank you for a straight answer finally everyone.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There isn't a speed at which they deploy and it is not connected to your speedometer in any way. The SRS unit has an accelerometer. Whether you slam your car head on into an 18 wheeler, or the 18 wheeler smashes head on into you while you're completely stopped at a light, as long as the accelerometer measures acceleration in the aft direction above a certain threshold, you're airbags go boom.

You're really looking for what that acceleration threshold value is. It may be stated as some vague mph-equivalent crash intensity, but you really want to know the answer in g's or m/s/s or some real engineering unit. What that value really is I don't know. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At what speed do Honda airbags deploy