Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Is this a good Timing Belt Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good Timing Belt Deal?

My accord is at 130k miles never done the timing belt. Starting to worry. If i remove the timing cover and slowly roll the car back in neutral or i guess reverse.. can i check the integrity of the current belt? Problem is im so broke and this is an exspensive job. Still paying on this car want it to last a long damn time.

Anyways i found this kit, ive watched the you tube video seem a little leary about doing this job alone since im a pizza driver and i cant get stuck and have my car down for a few days. I have a mechanic friend who said hed do the job for about 100 dollars, Now i wanna do it with him and learn.

Anyways i found this kit online
http://www.timingbeltkit.com/servlet...-timing/Detail

Are these all good parts does this cover everything i will need looks through. Maybe a little to through idk if all this stuff needs replacing.

I would also like an answer about checking the integrity of the current belt in the easiest fashon possible. Im probably gonna have to hold off a few months on this job i have so many other issues to deal with in life and with the car at the moment.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is this a good Timing Belt Deal?

It's time for you to change the belts, actually past due.

That's too much money for aftermarket and only replace the timing components with Genuine Honda parts (OEM)

Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats not a bad price for everything that is included

Includes:
timing belt
balance shaft belt
water pump with gasket
timing belt tensioner
balance shaft tensioner
both accessory drive belts
front camshaft seal
front crankshaft seal
front auxillary shaft seal
valve cover gasket
four spark plug tube seals
five valve cover bolt grommets

you would pay similar or slightly more at a local auto parts store. but i also reccommend oem honda parts, especially for the timing parts.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are unsure of your own capability to do the job, that $100 to have a friend do it is money VERY well spent. This of course is assuming he knows what he's doing.

I would not try to economize on parts though, especially since you wanna make this thing last a long time.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a friend that went 180k miles in 12 years before replacing his timing belt. That is twice the usage from Honda's service recommendation. Something I don't recommend doing. The question is do you feel lucky? If you don't replace your timing belt asap, since it is over due, just imagine what it will cost you to fix when the timing belt breaks. Please accept your friend's offer and replace that timing belt. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slamstrom
I have a friend that went 180k miles in 12 years before replacing his timing belt. That is twice the usage from Honda's service recommendation. Something I don't recommend doing. The question is do you feel lucky? If you don't replace your timing belt asap, since it is over due, just imagine what it will cost you to fix when the timing belt breaks. Please accept your friend's offer and replace that timing belt. Good luck.
This cat got luuuucky. Honda's latest interval for TB is 105K/8yr. Belts normally start snapping right in your range dude, 125K & up; the longest I have seen in person was 168K when it snapped. You are gambling with damage to your head. Honda parts can be had for this job for less than 200$, (if you skip the tensioner & seals) and the labor being offered is suuuuper low, you're not going to find that anywhere else in Cali I guarantee that, hell thats half as much as any sane side job, hope dude knows what he's doing and not experimenting...
Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well he is close friend and mechanic like i said i just cant come up wth all the money right now so it there a way like i mentioned above i can check the integrity of the belt? This is my first priority as my car foes right now but its a bad time got a pseeding ticket smog registration all next moth. Also very behind on bull cuz ima pizza driver and a body shop had my car 3 months after a wreck. Plus i have some electrical to sort out before i smog i may have to buy a multiplexer to get my CEL to go off so i can smog not sure yet
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, sounds like you need to start moving more pies.

as for the inspection idea, sure it doesn't hurt and maybe you will get a little warning through cracks, but, you REALLY need to do this ASAP.

Since he's a buddy, perhaps your mechanic buddy would be willing to wait a little while to get paid?

Till then, inspect it, keep your revs down and keep all your fingers and toes crossed.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no way to visually check the integrity of a t-belt. I removed am original t-belt on an 11-year car with ~138K miles on it. Apart from the printed lettering being worn, it looked pretty much like new, and the belt looked like it could go another 11 years. I wouldn't bet that it would have, though.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
derp resistant

1.pay your friend to change the belt
2.watch him and learn how to do it
3. convince one of your other friends that they need a timing belt change
4.????
5.profit
Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right there is no way to tell visually, they just go when they go; if fault is found with a visual inspection then it is already too late