Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Squeal when tires turn right

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Squeal when tires turn right

Posted this up in another forum want to see if you guys could help figure this out.
It's a 93 del sol.

Hey just put on my winter tires 3 days ago i know kind of late. But I used a different lug lock that my friend gave to me that would match better, while driving on the highway I could hear thumping. But story short I took my car home parked it and turned the wheel a little since I live on a hill and I heard the tires squeak. This morning I remounted all my tires with my original lug locks and turned the wheel again to see if I could hear it and it's still there.

Now I looked it up and some people said that it could be that the tires are old and it means they don't have enough traction any more, as the tires don't have that much tread any way but are better than my low profile summer tires. But my cousin is telling me it could be my power steering pump. Above all I just want to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with my lug bolts or anything of the sort as it's expensive as all hell the replace those.

So does any one have any idea as to what it could be?

Ok, just went out side to clear the drive way of the snow and took a recording of the sound I hear. Now I know for sure it aint the power steering since I didn't have the car fully turned on. And while I was doing this I noticed it squeals when turning the steering wheel to the right, and only squeals when I turn the steering wheel left until the point its in the nuetral position.

Uploaded sounds to megaupload, sry my phone only records in .amr it plays in quicktime.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8HNUCF1

Just checked the tire pressure and I have 30 psi on every tire exactly what I put in them 4 days ago.

The biggest thing is is that none of this happened before I switched out my tires. That's what has got me worrying.

Also just found this video and its the exact same sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jaT...eature=related

Last edited by the 1 and only jj; 01-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Squeal when tires turn right

balljoint! how cold is it there if your living in chicago? sounds like a balljoint to me!