Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR b18c loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 GSR b18c loss of power?

New to HT, hey errbodayy!
I have a GSR b18c swap and I feel like there is something that is internally wrong or missing almost not giving me the horsepower I should be getting; missing some little ponies somewhere lol and I can't pass DEQ but who cares lol
Here is my set up:

B18C GSR swap
Y80 tranny
ITR camshafts
Skunk2 pro-series Intake Manifold
DC sport 4-1 headers
short ram intake
Chipped p28 ecu (don't know with what exactly)
Cold air intake w/ AEM filter

Supposed to have 180 stock then + "bolt on power".
I had a 95 vdub golf prior to this and can feel the difference but i don't think I have a full 180+ , give and take ware and tare, horsepower.
My friend thinks my clutch is going out because when I hit vtec i get a rotten egg smell coming from my engine when I turn on the air conditioning (already replaced my cat like a month or so ago along with a full flush of everything). I also can't burn out so that's another reason why he thinks my clutch is going out (no grip). If you could help me please I'd appreciate it!

PS. I have a "CC" (competition clutch) sticker under my hood, donno if it's actually there cause anyone can get a sticker lol; anyway i could find that out without going to a shop?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Re: GSR b18c loss of power?

probably your clutch or your motor is about to give out!!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get that thing tuned.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

change clutch, check timing. and get it tuned maybe
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM

I don't think the motor is going out, still relatively new but yeah I should get it tuned and change the clutch. thanks guys. Anyone know how to check if I have an aftermarket clutch without taking apart the housing?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^if the clutch feels relatively "springy" or hard then that may be one way. but it's not FOR SURE. my stage 1 Exedy clutch is pretty hard to depess. it also "Grabs" low
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Mine grabs pretty high and it's hard to go into some gears. When I hit vtec I have to like slam my second and third gears. especially my second. If I upgrade what clutch should I get? I've been looking at Competition Clutch stage 2 and an exedy
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm yeah maybe its time for a new clutch. when you replace the clutch, also make sure to get the flywheel re-surfaced. good luck

*Exedy makes great clutches. they are made by Daikin (which is the maker of honda OEM clutches.) so you know theyre good
Shoots.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 PM

Yeah thats what I thought. I thought about getting a lightened flywheel if it comes as like a package? Or is it better to just re-surface it. Anything else I should look for? I got taken by a vr6 :/ lol. suuuuckk
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a stage 1 or 2 disc and a lightened flywheel. it will make the car more fun to drive and more responsive IMO. will give more of a "positive" feel and a pep in its step.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

was the swap done correctly, ho does the motor run?you say you have to slam gears when you hit vtec what do you mean by that? is vtec even engaging, you might be in limp mode or vtec may not be engaging accelerating through your gears with a bad clutch should not make your motor perform poorly, i would check your dizzy and plugs first then make sure all he vac. lines are installed correctly on the sk2 manifold and i would get that motor tuned cause it has itr cams and the sk2 manifold and untuned it will deff make your motor not run as effeciant.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
get a stage 1 or 2 disc and a lightened flywheel. it will make the car more fun to drive and more responsive IMO. will give more of a "positive" feel and a pep in its step.
Yeah thats what I was looking for; difference in stage 1 and 2 for exedy?

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
was the swap done correctly, ho does the motor run?you say you have to slam gears when you hit vtec what do you mean by that? is vtec even engaging, you might be in limp mode or vtec may not be engaging accelerating through your gears with a bad clutch should not make your motor perform poorly, i would check your dizzy and plugs first then make sure all he vac. lines are installed correctly on the sk2 manifold and i would get that motor tuned cause it has itr cams and the sk2 manifold and untuned it will deff make your motor not run as effeciant.
From what I know the swap was done correctly, the parts on it were exactly how I bought the car. The motor runs fine and the slamming i mean like I have to pull back from first into second harder than normal while in vtec which I would believe is normal. One time I was running and it didn't fully engage my second gear and spit it back into neutral. I need to get it tuned once I get the money, school is killing me with money .

any helpful hints to get this passed DEQ? I might just go with an out of boundary address since I've had no luck with it lol
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check compression just to make sure.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Eather your tranny syncros are going out or your clutch is gone! change that and if you got the $ have the tranny inspected, also i would lean toward that ecu you have i doubt its running the motor correctly, i would send it to my friend shawn from church automitive in long beach he will burn a base map to run the mods on your motor corectly until its finally tunned thats a good investment imo, might be around $60 tell him Zabear sent you, iv been in the honda scene forever iv had many clutch setups on variouse motors/hp from act,exedy,cc, they are great clutches but for the price and performance in my experience i would get a f-1 stg 2 or 1 its up to you i like there clutches they are great especially for the price i ran a f-1 stg 2 clutch on my suppercharged gsr for almost a year and sold it with lots of life left so look into them there sold on ebay but they are there own company and work with companys like ACT and fidanza. dont think ebay sells them like everybody you can find hreads on there clutches here some will say there cheap but iv had good results with there clutches.gl
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Eather your tranny syncros are going out or your clutch is gone! change that and if you got the $ have the tranny inspected, also i would lean toward that ecu you have i doubt its running the motor correctly, i would send it to my friend shawn from church automitive in long beach he will burn a base map to run the mods on your motor corectly until its finally tunned thats a good investment imo, might be around $60 tell him Zabear sent you, iv been in the honda scene forever iv had many clutch setups on variouse motors/hp from act,exedy,cc, they are great clutches but for the price and performance in my experience i would get a f-1 stg 2 or 1 its up to you i like there clutches they are great especially for the price i ran a f-1 stg 2 clutch on my suppercharged gsr for almost a year and sold it with lots of life left so look into them there sold on ebay but they are there own company and work with companys like ACT and fidanza. dont think ebay sells them like everybody you can find hreads on there clutches here some will say there cheap but iv had good results with there clutches.gl
So are you saying to send my ECU to you're friend in CA or OR or WA? haha there is a lot of long beaches xP.

Another thing is that when I press down on my clutch with my hood up and let it go so it's engaging in neutral I can hear almost a grinding sound or rubbing (not disengaging all the way?) but isn't very loud, which I know can't be good haha. Any other types of good clutches? and how much is it to get a tranny inspected? Also if I change my clutch will that change how I shift into my gears, like will it be more smooth and not have to force things (like I do my second gear down shifting sometimes). Sorry for all the questions, nub here
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With all this "hard to get into gears" talk sounds like its internal problem. I'd get the tranny inspected.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a stage 2 exedy in my civic right now, it holds my 350whp 260tq boosted GSR, but its on the edge. the difference in the two is not the clutch itself, its the same disc, but the pressure plate stiffness. i think the stage 2 is sprung a lil bit stiffer as well, but nothing huge over the stage 1.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Xathine
With all this "hard to get into gears" talk sounds like its internal problem. I'd get the tranny inspected.
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, anyone know how much a local shop would charge for something like that?

I have a stage 2 exedy in my civic right now, it holds my 350whp 260tq boosted GSR, but its on the edge. the difference in the two is not the clutch itself, its the same disc, but the pressure plate stiffness. i think the stage 2 is sprung a lil bit stiffer as well, but nothing huge over the stage 1.
So stage 2 would be sufficient with what I'm putting out as of right now correct?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pattygow
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, anyone know how much a local shop would charge for something like that?

So stage 2 would be sufficient with what I'm putting out as of right now correct?
easily. it is also VEEERY drivable on the streets. sitting in seattle traffic that was a big deal for me, my leg will get sore after sitting an hour of in and out though.... i have a bad knee so it may be a bad judgement. haha.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 PM

easily. it is also VEEERY drivable on the streets. sitting in seattle traffic that was a big deal for me, my leg will get sore after sitting an hour of in and out though.... i have a bad knee so it may be a bad judgement. haha.
Yeah haha I hate seattle traffic so much omg >_>. And my knee is kinda bad too lol. Alright so I guess a stage two exedy it is? haha. Anyone own a CC stage 2 and can compare?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i fell in love w/ my buddies CC stage 1.5 "exedy smoker". its like butter bro, great holding capacity and extremely easy to drive. take a look at that one. decent price as well.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM

stage 1.5 huh? haha an in between stage, nice lol