Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

5th gen style 6th gen hatch door

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 5th gen style 6th gen hatch door

ok so ive been wondering about this for the last few weeks but why did honda make the 6th gen hatch a one piece and not a 2 piece like the 5th gen.

so i got to thinking and looking at the hatch door structurally and it looks like you could cut right were the window seal meets the door all the way across and of course all the way thru clean it up obviously and weld a plate to both sides to fill were they were both connected and have 2 latches attached to the door half and strikers connected to the window half the original latch could be used to keep the door half closed and to have the door fold down have 2 heavy duty hinges right at the edge of the door just out of sight down into the bottom body panel above the bumper re run all the wiring except the defrosters and a ground and light and add a weather strip between the door and window halves to keep water out and to cushion the impact when closing. have 1/4" steel cable to keep the door from dropping beyond 90 deg.

strip out the extra metal in the middle of the door and put in a straight piece of sheet with some ribs to keep it rigid and a handle to open the door from the inside (bottom half only).

and probably fill in the holes (except the ones that mount the stock spoiler just use rubber plugs) on the sides and top of the window frame work and not use the plastics

i personally think it would look good if done right who knows maybe ill go to a junk yard and pick up hatch door from a front end wreck and chop it up and see how it looks ill post tons of pics if it comes out good.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 5th gen style 6th gen hatch door

You make it seem much easier than it really is. Theres a reason not many (if any) people have done this "simple" mod.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 5th gen style 6th gen hatch door

Im not saying it would be simple but it would take time and a lot of it but i guess ill try it and see how it comes out. i mean ive done the smallest of welding mods to my current hatch door pluging the wiper hole the right way (sheet metal, welding and grinding filling) and it was fun to do that small part maybe the building a door from scratch (sort of) would be fun