Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

REMOVING PARKING BRAKE????

Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REMOVING PARKING BRAKE????

So I pretty much ripped my suspension apart. I need to remove the parking brake from the Drum. If you have done this or know how Please chime in as I am unsure if it is even possible...

I know I can unattach it from the PRK BRK handle but then I have to pull it from inside the car and unbolt it from the chassis. Then if I want to reinstall I have to remove the heat shield! WTF but you know...I've come up with this idea to attach a line of some sort to the cable then pull it from underneath the chassis. Then once it's out and I've also pulled the line out I can unattach the line then remove the brake cable.then reinstall, reattach to line and pull back through...Pretty much a simple solution for me to save a headache of removing more bolts. Gotta find some sort of line

Also How do you remove a ball joint?

EZ
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REMOVING PARKING BRAKE????

ball joint needs to be pressed out.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bsivoljr
Also How do you remove a ball joint?

EZ
remove to replace with new or disconnect?

MySelfAffliction is right about removing for replacement, they must be pressed. if you're just looking to disconnect them to finish the suspension dissassembly, you need a big hammer and a good aim, or you can buy (some places rent) a ball-joint separator. looks like a 2 prong fork...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35

MySelfAffliction is right about removing for replacement, they must be pressed. if you're just looking to disconnect them to finish the suspension dissassembly, you need a big hammer and a good aim, or you can buy (some places rent) a ball-joint separator. looks like a 2 prong fork...

LOL good Aim. I abused this nut at the junkyard yesterday. Same bolt I had to cut off smaller control arm from rear suspension...the one attached to chassis...POS did not budge...I guess for all 94-95 accords they get stuck that year...They did something different for the next years cause I pulled those bolts easy..? I think some of the arms are the same depending on model.

Anyway thanks I need to separate the ball joint because I messed up the thread hitting it with a hammer to separate from spindle arm. I can then put a new one in since the entire arm will not come off because one of the bolts are stuck for it also...I have an adjustable one but now I cant get the damn arm off to put the new one on so fk it...I'll just leave it on but I messed up the thread on the ball joint trying to separate it from the spindle arm

Last edited by bsivoljr; 12-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumpt
Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamark35

Well a ball joint press and separator (pickle fork) are different. The seperator can be rented for free @ AutoZone for a $35 deposit. It worked great for the rear when I was doing my suspension. I had a local shop (super cheap) press out and install my balljoint camber kit in the front for $80.