Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

is this street legal

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this street legal

okay wel first off i live in the northen panhandel of west virginia and i was wondering are roll cages and aftermarket steering wheels (no air bag but has a horn) street legal..............

also can a person with little experiance in putting ful exhuast systems do it with the help of a car left with little problem (im referring to myself of course its perfitted and everything thing with al the gaskests for the heads and monts for the piping)
Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: is this street legal

the answers are yes and yes. steering wheels are legal along with cages. and i believe in wv you will have no problems if you go with a harness instead of stock belts. im in w.v also
Old 12-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where do you live? and thanks so having no air bag wont be any problem thanks for the information i had a 2.5" exhaust on it when i got it and ima go down to a 2.25 catback and also im just wondering one more thing where can i relocate my battery to becuase i cant put a cold air in with it where it is stock
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why go down in exhaust size? and the airbag light (srs) will be on but theres a way to disable it just search for it i think its simple, im in keyser w.v
Old 12-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blasterman87
why go down in exhaust size? and the airbag light (srs) will be on but theres a way to disable it just search for it i think its simple, im in keyser w.v
all i need is 2.25 and the one that was on it the 2.5 was just **** no holes or anything just it was very shitty and sounds like u just had no exhuast the exhuast im getting now should make the tone more deeper and its designed for highwer output egines like it's bends are more smoth unlike the one on it now thats like 90 degree bends so it should flow better also
Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, federal law says that it is ILLEGAL to remove your airbag.

Will you get in any trouble if you do? Probably not, unless your state inspector wants to be the biggest ***** ever.

I'm not aware of any law against roll cages. If you install a full cage be aware that in case of an accident, there is a HUGE risk of hitting your head on the bar right over the doorway. The only way to make a cage as safe as possible is with a helmet and padding on the bars. Without the helmet, expect head injuries in a major accident.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why, the cage? really. unless your going to go track almost everyday of your life no point in it. think safety first, get strut bars front and rear and sway bar front and rear that'll be fun and much safer. if your going to go to the track and blah blah then by a means i respect. if not really just a waste of money!! your call anyways
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TaDLaD
why, the cage? really. unless your going to go track almost everyday of your life no point in it. think safety first, get strut bars front and rear and sway bar front and rear that'll be fun and much safer. if your going to go to the track and blah blah then by a means i respect. if not really just a waste of money!! your call anyways
i got a freind that could make/install a roll cage for me and it'd only run me 200-300 dollars so not a waste of money to me anywayz and i got front tower struts rear tie bar strut and rear upper struts
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

removing or disabling the restraint system is a big federal no no and your car can be impounded for that violation........
Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not trying to play you or anything dude, just was saying it's really not worth putting your self at risk if that's your daily driver i don't know if it's not? like i said it's your car your choice I'm just trying to help. if i were you i would check the law in your state many are different don't know what kinds of trouble you could get in if caught with one?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...think safety first, get strut bars front and rear and sway bar front and rear that'll be fun and much safer.
Now, how exactly are strut bars and thicker sway bars going to make a car SAFER? Strut and/or sway bars do absolutely NOTHING for your safety during in accident.

A roll cage in a street driven car is MORE dangerous than without a cage, unless you are wearing a helmet. Are you going to wear a helmet everything you drive? You have no idea of the potential head injuries... I cannot stress enough that a helmet is meant to be used in conjunction with a cage.

Please do not fool yourself or others into thinking that a roll cage in a street car without a helmet is safer. Especially just any ol' cage.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by philadd
Actually, federal law says that it is ILLEGAL to remove your airbag.
Anyone have a link to the fed law on this, is it for drivers only or does it include passenger bags?

I was under the impression it was illegal to sell your car without informing the buyer that you removed the airbag, also for liability reasons you should inform those who sit in a seat that has an airbag removed.

Never heard it was illegal to remove an airbag.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/rules/...rbagqa.html#Q2
Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now, how exactly are strut bars and thicker sway bars going to make a car SAFER? Strut and/or sway bars do absolutely NOTHING for your safety during in accident.

A roll cage in a street driven car is MORE dangerous than without a cage, unless you are wearing a helmet. Are you going to wear a helmet everything you drive? You have no idea of the potential head injuries... I cannot stress enough that a helmet is meant to be used in conjunction with a cage.

Please do not fool yourself or others into thinking that a roll cage in a street car without a helmet is safer. Especially just any ol' cage.
you should read carefully next time.. or better yet read the whole post 3 times to your self.. More safer than a roll cage..
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the air bags are not part of a wv state inspection and in the rules for the seatbelts it states that you must have belts installed if the car is under a certan age limit.. i think its 1960. i have my inspection liscence for w.v and ive never failed/seen anyone fail because of seatbelts, no station actually checks them
Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
New User

well...actually better struts/swaybars&strut brace would enhance handling, therefore u could have a better chance of avoiding a potentially dangerous situation better. not being a dink, just saying. but all in all youre right about the cage, unless its a track car 90% of the time its not a good idea.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just to clear some stuff up i dont think i could hit my head but i never rolled a car before but i know people that have without a rollcage...but anywayz i have a 5 point harness in my car so the only reason im going for a cage is for the fact i have remove alot of interior and its probally to the point a guy that weighs 200-300 pounds could lay on my roof and it just flaten it so im putting it more for a sturcle point of view but yea about hitting my head when i race i use a helmet but even for dding i usally wear my 5 point so im not moving anywhere
Old 12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
New User

I accept with information:If you install a full cage be aware that in case of an accident, there is a HUGE risk of hitting your head on the bar right over the doorway. The only way to make a cage as safe as possible is with a helmet and padding on the bars.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh sorry everyone yes im getting padding (blue padding ) sorry for not clearing that up sooner my bad
Old 12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should read carefully next time.. or better yet read the whole post 3 times to your self.. More safer than a roll cage..
I suppose I should have been more clear, but only the comment about the suspension was directed towards your comment. The rest (about the roll cage) was directed towards the OP.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I suppose I should have been more clear, but only the comment about the suspension was directed towards your comment. The rest (about the roll cage) was directed towards the OP.
oh well I'm sorry lol
Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh well I'm sorry lol
Not a problem, I don't take anything personally on here.