Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Wax and things you use???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Wax and things you use???

Hi everybody. I want to know what kind of wax/stuff would you use to revive the 17 years old aztec green pearl paint of my DB2 integra. I think its the most beautiful color Honda ever made but it looks faded on my integra...no more shine! I tried the Simoniz wax and hand-applied it but it didn't change alot. thx alot!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wax and things you use???

Your best bet will be a polisher, a wool pad, 3m's perfect-it Polish line with the correct foam pads (my personal favorite polishing line because of its speed and finish), some money to buy it with (its not cheap), and plenty of time. if you take your time and do it right you can make it shine like the day it was painted
Old 11-27-2009, 03:21 AM
New User

There are many good wax available in the market ..you should go for the branded wax which will give very shineie look to your car..first remove the earlier colour from your car through sand parper and then apply the new one..
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

I have a waxmaster buffer which is pretty good, and pretty cheap, you can use the line of 3m products mentioned above or if you're on a budget i'd attack it like this

1. wash car , personally I don't think I'd use soap for this.
2. use professional polishing compound by Turtle Wax on entire car, sold at any auto parts store or walmart, its liquid, pretty new. Appply with a buffer. dont push too hard on the buffer against the paint but dont let it run you all over the car either.
3. if light scratches are not removed by this method so far, skip to step 4:
4. use 2000 grit sandpaper and water to wet sand light scratches that appear in clear coat (Wet sanding FAQ/howto can be found on youtube) --> if doing this then read step 5
5. reapply polishing compound to the areas you wet sanded with a buffer.
6. wipe off polishing compound very well with microfiber cloth
7. pick a wax for your car - I use Zymol, and reccommend it highly because it also has fine scratch buffing capability and beads nicely. Read reviews on amazon.com if you may want to do some research but I think Zymol will make you happy
8. remove wax. see how well it shines
9. if you are noticing any swirl marks in paint from car wash over time, there's a discontinued product by Meguiars that you can obtain on ebay - called Swirl Remover #7 I believe, works GREAT and gives AMAZING shine.

at this point I'd call it a day and start getting wax out of the crevices but if you want to go all out ***** to the wall use a spray detailer afterwards, I found Turtle Wax Ice spray detailer to be my fav, although I have some new Mothers ones I'm itching to try.

For me, this process, depending on the car will usually take about 6 hours, if I went ***** out with the spray detailer I'd add one hour easily.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like this stuff called "ferecla" I am having a hard time remembering who makes it, but it is the shiz-nit! If it starts to dry out, just add water as it is super concentrated. Your car may have had a good owner that washed it, and took pretty good car of it; and if so, the clear could be great. Then it will polish up like new with this stuff. Or on the other hand, it could be almost gone. The stock clear coats aren't that thick and nice like a good quality paint job should come with. In that case you don't want to use the "ferecla", it will eat that paint up. But on a good clear, that's what I like to use. GL.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 PM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

i work at pep boys now we actually carry that discontinued swirl remover
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As mentioned above Zymol is very good, but about 13-14 bucks a bottle at wally world... Also 3M makes very very good products such as perfect it machine glaze. I used 3M on new paint jobs and only 3M. IMO I feel it gets the best results when used properly. Just my .02 good luck with your project!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As said above, a wax will not do much to restore your paint, even a cleaner wax will only take off a very small amount of oxidation.

Option 1: Try a commonly available hand polish for relatively cheap. I like Mother's 3 step process, with a polish (They call it a prewax cleaner, but it's a fine polish), a sealer/glaze, and a wax. Another brand polish + wax would be fine also, but I find the addition of the sealer to really help with the longevity of the wax.

Option 2: Make a few hundred dollar investment in an orbital buffer (rotary buffers require more skill and are easier to damage paint with), and a few different compounds/ polishes along with the appropriate pads. I recently bought a Porter Cable 7424 buffer, which seems to be a popular choice. I also purchased a few different Lake Country foam pads, a Urethane backing plate, and Meguiars M105 and M205 compounds. I have not had a chance to use them yet, but I've seen fantastic results from these products. You can get everything that you need from www.autogeek.net
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ this man is correct. I've got a craftsman electic angle grinder that I have a wool buffing pad on and it works great and have been using it for years, even before I started painting. Its heavier than a lot of the buffers available but I love it...and of course everyone here probably knows I'm a 3M *****!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I truly belive any brand will work as long as u follow its indacated steps, and when u find a brand style u like stick with it dont mismatch products as their is no guarentee of what works with wat. I have used 3m,farecla,automagic,proshine,wizards,bodymagic,me guiars,ect. they all work just fine just follow each manufactuers step they all get the job done. just that some brands are expensive than others, some more time consuming or messier to work with but all in all they all work. i RECOMMEND U USING A ORBITAL SPEED REGULATED BUFFER. THESE BUFFERS U CAN AJUST UR SPEED ON DEM USE A BACKING PAD N FOAM PADS.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DEWALT BUFFERS ARE WAT PROS USE.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I BOUGHT ONE FOR $219 ON SALE.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy on the caps lock there man...DeWalt makes a rotary buffer, but I'm not so sure that they make an orbital buffer. Yes, the rotary's are what the pro's use, but that is because they take more material off faster. Good if you know what you're doing, bad if you don't. An orbital is much safer, and is MORE then enough for normal maintenance. A rotary is good is you're doing a cut and buff after a fresh paint job and want to take a lot off. Porter Cable is pretty much the industry standard for orbital buffers, and they are a quality piece...equally as much as the DeWalt. Also, I think my PC 7424 was like $120 shipped.

Edit: I stand corrected, in that DeWalt does make an orbital. However, the PC is also a good piece.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my angle grinder with wool pads... But I've been doin this for a while... Like others said, orbital buffer, and good wax, I don't know what dude was talking about it all waxes are the same, they are NOT. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true, but u cant apply that to evrything u get wat u pay for crap.. If this dude has some serious gloss fading sometimes the orbital buffer just doesnt get the job done. The rotary is more skillfull but it is the way to go, and if u are scared ur gonna burn right tru it leave it to someone else that has experience save u the trouble.