Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

accord tpms programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accord tpms programming

hi guys, does anyone know if it is poosible to program the tpms on a 2008 accord v6 ex-l yourselves rather than going to the dealer?? also, does anyone know if it is possible to flash the ecu on the accord? if so, where can i find the code to do so. thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: accord tpms programming

No, it is not a DIY. Although some independent shops may have equipment to program a new TPMS transmitter's Tire Pressure Sensor ID in, they usually can not do much to flash the ECU with software updates, etc. (additionally, the immobilizer system of the ECU is entirely off limits by tools other than genuine Honda equipment and software).

Honda uses their Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to flash software updates, etc. to the ECU. Honda doesn't sell to independent shops their proprietary genuine Honda software cards.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx for the info redbull
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
No, it is not a DIY. Although some independent shops may have equipment to program a new TPMS transmitter's Tire Pressure Sensor ID in, they usually can not do much to flash the ECU with software updates, etc. (additionally, the immobilizer system of the ECU is entirely off limits by tools other than genuine Honda equipment and software).

Honda uses their Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to flash software updates, etc. to the ECU. Honda doesn't sell to independent shops their proprietary genuine Honda software cards.

hey redbull, i actualy did a little bit of research after and i found that you can actually program the tpms yourself. The bartec 400+ tpms tool allows you to reprogram the sensors into the ECU again without having to go to the dealer. http://www.bartecusa.com/wheelrite_tech400.htm

check out that link above, as i found a few others that claim to have the capabilities to reprogram the tpms but this was the most convincing in my opinion. The bartec also provide a short video as they reprogram a 2008 honda accord, which was exaclty what i was looking for so what do you think??
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rogan
hey redbull, i actualy did a little bit of research after and i found that you can actually program the tpms yourself. The bartec 400+ tpms tool allows you to reprogram the sensors into the ECU again without having to go to the dealer. http://www.bartecusa.com/wheelrite_tech400.htm

check out that link above, as i found a few others that claim to have the capabilities to reprogram the tpms but this was the most convincing in my opinion. The bartec also provide a short video as they reprogram a 2008 honda accord, which was exaclty what i was looking for so what do you think??
Those are what independent shops buy. Normally, you would not call spending over $1,700 - $2,400 for a tool a DIY project for individual use.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1..._asian_do.html
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those are what independent shops buy. Normally, you would not call spending over $1,700 - $2,400 for a tool a DIY project for individual use.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1..._asian_do.html
hahaha ..i didnt actualy check the price b4 .. but now that i do lol i actualy see that it isnt worth the investment.. thanks anyways
Old 11-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just found this one, don't know the quality; but, this may be what you are looking for as a
DIY:

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just found this one, don't know the quality; but, this may be what you are looking for as a
DIY:

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx
thx for the help redbull
Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Little brief run down on this system:.
Honda uses 2 types of TPMS.
Type One is the sensor in the wheel has its own freq being transmitted to the TPMS ECU located under the Drives Side dash, The Sensor reads a given temp inside the tire via voltage and relays that voltage reading over radio waves to the TPMS ecu which then comps to tire pressure which will set the low tire indicator off at 28psi if the temp is low. (standard on 07 CR-V, 08 Accord, 08 Fits, 08 Pilots, 08 Ridgelines, 07 0dyssey Tourings, 07 Element). Type 2 has a sensor in the wheel (Civics, 08 Elements, 09-10 Fits, 08 Odyssey )[Honda's are Valve Stem Sensors] that at every rotation it sends a freq to a reciever in the fender or 1/4 panel, which then by wire sends the given voltage to the ECU located either in D/S kick panel, or P/S given the vehicle.
To initalize these when we get them off the truck from the factory, we do this by dropping all tire pressue till the low tire indicator comes on per tire that way it registers Tire 1, Tire 2, Ect. This now registers the tires with the ECU, But if tire pressures are too high or there is an actual freq error the TPMS letter will be set and need to be cleared. If for some reason the registration isnt complete. a code will be set after 20 miles says Honda( actual its more like 200+ miles per my experience as a Tech) for it and you'll have to re-register the TPMS sensor via HDS( Honda Diagnostic System)[Dealer Only] and the Honda TPMS Special Tool then the light will blink once done, drive over 40mph with it blinking,yeah fun fun fun for us. I can go indepth if others want the full detail, but i wont here..
Changes have been made in 2009-10 on certain vehicle on what type of TPMS system to be used. Accords Still use the same much do the Crosstours.

But if you have access or can get access to clear the code ; if its a registration error re-drop all tires till the TPMS low tire indicator light comes on starting on the d/s front, d/s rear, p/s rear/ p/s front. This will help with later to dio a bad sensor..

Tools:
Valve Stem Core Remover
Tire Inflator
Tire Gauage
Car Keys

Re-Register: *key on, engine off*
1. Remove Valve Core
2. Watch for Low tire indiactor to come on(18-28psi)
3. Once on, re-install core
4. Inflate Tire to 3psi over Proper Door Reading
now move around the vehicle and see if you can get them all to register, if one of the tires doesnt throw the light on, you got a bad sensor which is causing a registration error or is the main reason to your code, the dealer where they will re-dio it, clear the code, throw a new $175 sensor and 1hr if not more on TPMS Re-learn and your light is out.

Federal Gov Requires all vehicles from 2006 to have TPMS, you can remove the sensor and put in a reg valve stem, but can cost you more in the long run with buying new tires and such, or with ECU related issues, plus deal with shop refusal to work on the vehicle per federal requirement.

If you live in colder climate like myself set them 3 psi above, this'll help with cold nights where air molecules decrease causing many the TPMs light to come on cause of tire pressure drop over time.

personaly I think TPMs is useless cause you still arent able to teach people to check tire pressure regarless even if its in plain sight like the gauge cluster.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ehulst

personaly I think TPMs is useless cause you still arent able to teach people to check tire pressure regarless even if its in plain sight like the gauge cluster.
That is so true, sad, and funny all at the same time.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KWayRacing
That is so true, sad, and funny all at the same time.
i onli considered getting the tpms because without them the 08 accord apprently always has its VSA enabled always and incase i do get stuck in snow, i need to b able 2 turn that offf