Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

How would i get this bolt out? what do i do now?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would i get this bolt out? what do i do now?

So, i was disassembling my rear suspension and the bolt going thru the shock and the lca/bushing snapped on both sides. how would i get this bolt out? Also would i need to remove the whole LCA? And would i need a new bushing? LMK please i need this done.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
New User

Default Re: How would i get this bolt out? what do i do now?

This happened to me. Here is what I did.

I'm assuming that the broken bolt piece is stuck inside the bushing and pounding to your heart's content is not getting it out. If this is the case, then the bolt is probably cold welded in the bushing due to the harsh conditions endured over a period of time.

What you have to do is buy a lower control arm bushing. Make sure you get a kit that comes with the bolt because it is a high grade. They have them at autozone or schucks.

1. Remove the lower control arm.
2. To avoid any nicks/burs to the current control arm bushing sleeve, remove the current bushing using a press.
3. Install the new bushing using a press.
4. Install the lower control arm.

Personally, I didn't use a press. I just put the arm sleeve in a vice and carefully used a hammer and various size chisels/points and after a while I got it to pop out. If you do it this way, take your time and look for the hard to find gap between the sleeve and bushing. It may seem like it will never come out, but it will. Installing the bushing as is was impossible without a press. I had to take some very high grit sandpaper secured to a workbench, put the bushing in a power drill (using the bolt lightly tightened), and sand the bushing as evenly as possible. I took it out and tried to hammer it in numerous times to avoid going too loose. Eventually, I found the sweet spot in thickness to get it to go in with a hammer.

I have read some places where they used a torch to create a temperature expansion on the control arm. At which point the bushing will come out and go in with some hammering. I didn't have a torch so this option wasn't available.

I highly recommend using a press!

Last edited by huskyfan; 11-04-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How would i get this bolt out? what do i do now?

Ok cool thanks man. that was a huge help//