Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

NEWB! need help with speakers!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 NEWB! need help with speakers!!

Hey all, this is my first post in forums.

First than anything i would like to say that absolutely LOOOOOVEE my 96 accord. I am a computer engineer and this car enables me to "learn" as i try to fix her up (she's definitively a fixer upper)

I have messed before with speakers and electronics but i am not too confident on the numbers (what wattage would be ok, what size speakers etc .... )

My objective it's to replace the factory standard speakers with new ones that have as much quality as possible without loosing volume and without using an amp (planning on adding an amp later for a sub) and off course spending the least amount of money possible (Did i mention I'm Broke?)

Here are some of my burning questions.

* How much wattage can i use without the car sounding crappy?

* Is there any way to improve the wattage without having to plug an amp directly to the speakers?

* How many watts do the factory speakers have?

* Should i use bigger speakers in the rear to "enhance" the lows?

* Should i add a couple of tweeters?

* IS there anything that i should be carefull with before i break things? (i tend to do that a lot)

My car is a 1996 Honda accord 2 door (not sure about trim but it has power windows and such)
My head unit it's not the factory one. It's an old Panasonic. (cq-c1333u)

PLEASE HELPP
Old 10-12-2009, 06:03 AM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEWB! need help with speakers!!

Originally Posted by TyLLy_4
Hey all, this is my first post in forums.

First than anything i would like to say that absolutely LOOOOOVEE my 96 accord. I am a computer engineer and this car enables me to "learn" as i try to fix her up (she's definitively a fixer upper)

I have messed before with speakers and electronics but i am not too confident on the numbers (what wattage would be ok, what size speakers etc .... )

My objective it's to replace the factory standard speakers with new ones that have as much quality as possible without loosing volume and without using an amp (planning on adding an amp later for a sub) and off course spending the least amount of money possible (Did i mention I'm Broke?)

Here are some of my burning questions.

* How much wattage can i use without the car sounding crappy?
This is ambiguous
* Is there any way to improve the wattage without having to plug an amp directly to the speakers? No

* How many watts do the factory speakers have? If you are asking about how much power they receive from the hu it is maybe 10wrms. If you are talking about how much power you can run to them without blowing them it is significantly more. I have yet to blow my stock speakers and I am amping them with approximately 40wrms.

* Should i use bigger speakers in the rear to "enhance" the lows? Get a sub

* Should i add a couple of tweeters? Only in the front

* IS there anything that i should be carefull with before i break things? (i tend to do that a lot) Don't short any wires or you will have problems.

My car is a 1996 Honda accord 2 door (not sure about trim but it has power windows and such)

PLEASE HELPP
Buy a new hu. A clarion or an alpine will be superb.
The hu is the most important part of the car given your speakers aren't "blown".
Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
New User

That old Panasonic unit is rated to push 18watts X 4. not enough to overcome any significant road noise. I'd replace it with something rated for 50 watts X 4 that has a line out for a subwoofer amp, or use the line out that that unit has already to drive a 4 ch amp and get some good 6 1/2" speakers for all 4 corners. and add a 150 watt sub amp and 8" sealed subwoofer in later.

total cost around $450
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MGrant1957
That old Panasonic unit is rated to push 18watts X 4. not enough to overcome any significant road noise. I'd replace it with something rated for 50 watts X 4 that has a line out for a subwoofer amp, or use the line out that that unit has already to drive a 4 ch amp and get some good 6 1/2" speakers for all 4 corners. and add a 150 watt sub amp and 8" sealed subwoofer in later.

total cost around $450
Lulz @ 50w output from a hu. Unless you meant max, which doesn't mean **** anyway.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i agree with every thing mrdeadman said,
toss that deck in the trash.
i have a alpine cda 9884 which i think is the same as the new cda 105. and love the thing!
one of the best things i have gotten for the car. and price was really good too.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a alpine cd player the distortion ratio is low. The 50watts is max and with most cd players that mean 15-18 watts, alpines are anywhere from 20-27 watts. And going cheap on stereo and speakers aren't going to get you great sound. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as your Panasonic HU is in good working order and has the features you want/need, stick with it, 4x18W RMS into 4 ohms is pretty much standard for "high power" HU, [including Alpine], although replacing the HU is always the best place to start when building a system, it is also one of the more expensive pieces of the system, so only replace it if you need to.

To keep costs down and make this an easy DIY, replace speakers with ones that fit the stock locations, although a bigger speaker may be better, it will also be a bigger PITA to install properly and a properly installed smaller speaker, [even cheaper speaker] will outperform a bigger, [more expensive] improperly installed speaker.

"* How much wattage can i use without the car sounding crappy?" any amount of wattage will work as long as it is done properly.

"* Is there any way to improve the wattage without having to plug an amp directly to the speakers?" Yes, the stock radio power and ground leads are not thick enough to carry the current needed by "high power" aftermarket HUs, a noticeable improvement can be made by running a fused 12ga power lead from the batt. to behind the HU and connecting the HUs 12V+ constant, [yellow] lead to it, don't forget to cap off the stock 12V+ constant, you will also need to run a 12ga ground from the chassis of the HU to the cars chassis, [dash sub frame] if you use a metal back support from back of HU to the stock rear support brace you do not need the 12ga ground.

You can also increase the speakers output, SQ and bass extension by replacing the stock plastic speaker mounts with custom MDF mount, [a speaker will always sound better mounted to wood then pretty much any other material].

"* Should i use bigger speakers in the rear to "enhance" the lows?" Install mid-range/mid-bass speakers in the rear, [NO TWEETERS] highs from the rear will make proper staging and imaging very hard if not impossible, size of rear speaker makes no diff. as they are there for rear fill only.
If you want them for bass, use as big as possible free air subs, if adding a sub use mid-range/mid-bass drivers.

"* Should i add a couple of tweeters?" A good coax or point source speaker will work, component speakers, [separate woofer and tweeter] can help improve SQ but most will need an off-board amp to drive properly, HU power will not drive them to their full potential and under-powering speakers gains you nothing and can be very hard on speakers.

"* IS there anything that i should be carefull with before i break things? (i tend to do that a lot" Yes, everything, Google up tutorials on how to properly remove door panels and so on.
Know what your doing before you do it and you will not break anything. 94

Last edited by fcm; 10-16-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much wattage can i use without the car sounding crappy?
Any amount would work if installed properly..

Is there any way to improve the wattage without having to plug an amp directly to the speakers?
No

How many watts do the factory speakers have?
i think 12

Should i use bigger speakers in the rear to "enhance" the lows?
No. A decent headunit and some amped components can get decently low.
Should i add a couple of tweeters?
I personally would invest into a pair of components. phoenix gold rsd's are only 79.99

IS there anything that i should be careful with before i break things? (i tend to do that a lot)
Yes..google things like fcm said.

That headunit is pretty old. since you're on a strict budget i'd recommend an entry level kenwood. contrary to what some may say on here, hu power is not enough(18w rms) and will clip once the speaker demands more power.

For an extreme strict budget, i'd go with

kenwood kdc-x493
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7537/KDCX...ct-Control.htm

decent eq, 4 volt preouts...can't go wrong for the price.

Phoenix gold rsd's
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6952/RSD6...ker-System.htm

BEST entry level comp on the market. forum boner set on many car audio forums..just google and you'll find many reviews.

Mb quart dsc 280
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6841/DSC2...-Amplifier.htm

I've used these models a couple times. They do rated power and sound clean.

This comes out to 327.99

You cannot do better than that for the price. when you save up some more money, get some sound deadening for the doors and a single 8" sub in a ported box for the lowz.