Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

How to prevent riding the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prevent riding the clutch?

I've been learning to drive manual on a stock DC2 Integra. Rarely, I've been smelling the clutch after riding it.

So this thread is about clarifying to beginner manual drivers how to avoid riding the clutch at all times.

Please correct me if I'm doing things wrong and if I'm riding the clutch

I usually shift at 3500 RPM.

So starting from a stop.
What I do:
clutch all the way in> shift from neutral to 1st> release the clutch before the friction point while adding gas (blip the throttle) >at the friction point, while the clutch engages, I release clutch all the way while adding more gas

1st to 2nd:
release gas> clutch all the way in> shift to 2nd> release clutch to friction point and add some gas for clutch engagement> release clutch all the way out while adding more gas

or

Is it better to
1st to 2nd:
release gas> clutch all the way in> shift to 2nd> release clutch all the way out >add gas

2nd to 3rd:
release gas> clutch all the way in> shift to 2nd> release clutch all the way out >add gas

Starting on a up slope hill:
clutch all the way in> shift from neutral to 1st> release the clutch before the friction point while right foot on brake> add gas (blip the throttle) >clutch foot at the friction point, while the clutch engages, I release clutch all the way while adding more gas

Downshift:
3rd to 2nd:
While I slow down the correct speed/RPM, I clutch all the way in> downshift while right foot touching gas> release clutch all the way out> release gas foot to slow down more

Reverse into parking stall:
Shift into reverse while clutch all the way in> release the clutch before the friction point while blip the throttle> push the clutch back in a bit while releasing gas a bit> repeat (feathering the clutch)
Old 10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to prevent riding the clutch?

i never think about it when i drive but i do know that if you hold the clutch pedal somewhere between being fully disengaged and fully engaged you are going to burn the clutch. it has been my experience that no matter what a beginner is always going to ride the clutch for a little while till they get use to it so do not freak out if you are riding the clutch you will get use to it sooner or later
Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put your foot on the dead pedal, unless you are going to be using the clutch...This thread is lame!
Old 10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by steveharrmr23
i never think about it when i drive but i do know that if you hold the clutch pedal somewhere between being fully disengaged and fully engaged you are going to burn the clutch. it has been my experience that no matter what a beginner is always going to ride the clutch for a little while till they get use to it so do not freak out if you are riding the clutch you will get use to it sooner or later
+1

Nothing more to add
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_bones
Just put your foot on the dead pedal, unless you are going to be using the clutch...This thread is lame!
Originally Posted by OP
How to prevent riding the clutch?
take your foot off the pedal... if your not using it keep your foot on the dead pedal
Old 10-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

really what??

the best way to not ride the clutch is to... take your foot off of it.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Hookers and blow

convert to auto
Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Amuse9
I've been learning to drive manual on a stock DC2 Integra. Rarely, I've been smelling the clutch after riding it.

So this thread is about clarifying to beginner manual drivers how to avoid riding the clutch at all times.

Please correct me if I'm doing things wrong and if I'm riding the clutch

I usually shift at 3500 RPM.

So starting from a stop.
What I do:
clutch all the way in> shift from neutral to 1st> release the clutch before the friction point while adding gas (blip the throttle) >at the friction point, while the clutch engages, I release clutch all the way while adding more gas

1st to 2nd:
release gas> clutch all the way in> shift to 2nd> release clutch to friction point and add some gas for clutch engagement> release clutch all the way out while adding more gas

or

Is it better to
1st to 2nd:

2nd to 3rd:

Starting on a up slope hill:
clutch all the way in> shift from neutral to 1st> release the clutch before the friction point while right foot on brake> add gas (blip the throttle) >clutch foot at the friction point, while the clutch engages, I release clutch all the way while adding more gas

Downshift:
3rd to 2nd:
While I slow down the correct speed/RPM, I clutch all the way in> downshift while right foot touching gas> release clutch all the way out> release gas foot to slow down more

Reverse into parking stall:
Shift into reverse while clutch all the way in> release the clutch before the friction point while blip the throttle> push the clutch back in a bit while releasing gas a bit> repeat
(feathering the clutch)
i do the bolded sections, (aside from the ones you bolded yourself)

as for down shift i rev match or double clutch.

i don't think there is a better way to reverse aside from that... you'll always rape your clutch parking in reverse unless your good and get it done fast and simple. most ppl always reverse like "bram bram bram bram bram ( exhaust note to give you an idea) which is what you're doing. letting off the clutch too fast makes the car lurch a lot and too quick and might end up bapping someone it feels like.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These people are pretty dumb.

If you're smelling the clutch then something is wrong. You must be holding it at the friction point way too long. That or something is physically wrong.

Get it to that point and as soon as the car is moving you start backing off the clutch pedal. In second you're just barely smoothing out the shift. If you bring the throttle up just enough that the RPMs don't move during the shift, then you're doing it right.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5spd to 4spd auto conversion is your best bet
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. Just got to make sure I don't burn my clutch while learning how to drive manual.

Originally Posted by dipsy
convert to auto
Originally Posted by Spawne32
NO.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dipsy
convert to auto
NO NO NO.
Auto is for pussies, what kind of man can't drive stick?
And I think it's sexy if a girl can drive stick.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EvilWuzzle
NO NO NO.
Auto is for pussies, what kind of man can't drive stick?
And I think it's sexy if a girl can drive stick.
lol i love that auto is for ****** line when people get smoked by autos, something i love to shout after seeing the look on the other persons face
Old 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for smooth shifting you have to get on the gas a split second before the clutch is completely out. if you let the clutch all the way out before getting back on the gas it won't be very smooth.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Painfully Stupid

lol i love that auto is for ****** line when people get smoked by autos, something i love to shout after seeing the look on the other persons face
Automatics don't have anything to do with how fast a car can speed overall. I'm sure an antomatic Corvette can pull on my ITR wheather it's an auto or manual trans. It's uneducated people like you who determine whose car is faster by what kind of transmission the car has. An automatic Honda Accord will always be "faster" then a stock manual Honda Civic. You can't compare the two, it's whose car has more power, a manual trans will help displace any power faster, and sometimes will determine the outcome of a "race".
Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -PaulMc-
Automatics don't have anything to do with how fast a car can speed overall. I'm sure an antomatic Corvette can pull on my ITR wheather it's an auto or manual trans. It's uneducated people like you who determine whose car is faster by what kind of transmission the car has. An automatic Honda Accord will always be "faster" then a stock manual Honda Civic. You can't compare the two, it's whose car has more power, a manual trans will help displace any power faster, and sometimes will determine the outcome of a "race".

No its uneducated people like yourself you decide which car is faster by what transmission it has by calling people who drive autos ******, just because its an auto doesnt make it slow. Im tired of hearing people being told their ****** for driving auto, ****** are people that drive stick and brag about it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No its uneducated people like yourself you decide which car is faster by what transmission it has by calling people who drive autos ******, just because its an auto doesnt make it slow. Im tired of hearing people being told their ****** for driving auto, ****** are people that drive stick and brag about it.
Actually pussies means.

1. a group of cats
2. a group of female genitalia
3. the french
For example
1. koreans eat pussies for breakfast
2. i eat pussies for breakfast
3. eat me you tree hugging ****ers

LMAO.

Actually, comparing auto to manual. Manual will always be faster unless you can't drive or stall when launching lol. I compared my Automatic EM2 to a Manual EM2 both bone stock and guess what? He still won even when he isn't a good driver. And don't call me a bad driver because I loss. It's just basically floorin the **** out of it and keeping your wheel straight lol. It was a rolling start and 30MPH roll. He still took me twice.

4Speed Automatic < 5 Speed Manual.

Therefore. Manual is always faster when comparing 2 of the same cars (Stock).
Old 10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually to tell the truth anyone who can drive a stick is a little better off because then they are not limited on what car they can purchase like someone who has only ever drive an auto and does not know how to drive stick will always have to buy an auto or learn how to drive a stick
Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep practicing. if it still stinks then its prob a bad clutch.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM

when i first learn i would get out of 1st shift to 2nd and 3 then stop and start over 1st gear is the hardest when learning after you get first 2nd 3 4 5 even 6 is cake
Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

lmao all of you crack me up!
This thread explained what not to do in the title...

If you're really hard enough on clutches that you're noticeably burning them out, I'd prefer you stay dumb enough to keep burning them out so it gives steady business to repair shops.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just crushed a can in frustration of this thread.