Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2005 Accord V6 auto transmission problem --> power steering column problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Accord V6 auto transmission problem --> power steering column problem?

I bought an '05 Accord V6 LX SE with 62,000 miles on November 3rd, 2011. On December 23rd, 2011 (1 month and 20 days after I bought it) the car had a complete transmission failure -- $3600 repair through the Honda dealership. I managed to squeeze a measly $900 out of Honda for the repair, after having told them my story, which consisted of two parts:

1. I have a HONDA ACCORD with 62,000 #@$%^% miles on it
2. Before this happened I took the car to my local Honda dealership, telling them that I thought the transmission might be having some issues. They said they couldn't tell me exactly what the problem was, and when I asked them if it was okay to continue driving it, they said yes. The transmission proceeded to fail when I was on the freeway doing 60mph+

My faith in Honda and the quality of their cars is starting to diminish rapidly; which brings me to my second topic:

Is it possible for any part of the car's power steering mechanism to be damaged by the process of the transmission failing or the process of replacing the transmission? When they were servicing my car, they said they noticed a whirring sound coming from the power steering column, particularly when the car was cold. They asked me if I had ever experienced this and I said no, thinking it was probably a minor thing that I just hadn't noticed before. Having driven the car a couple times, it is definitely not a minor thing... the noise is extremely loud and very very noticeable, and I can say with absolute certainty that I have never heard my car making the noise before.

So it begs the question, could this have been caused by the repair work that they were doing? It seems pretty odd that my car was not experiencing this at all before I took it in to have the transmission replaced, and then all of a sudden it has a power steering column issue.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 Accord V6 auto transmission problem --> power steering column problem?

would be hard to tell if the dealer did that...But, sounds like they did cause it from your explanation.

even so, you'll never get the dealer to admit they are at fault, you would not be able to prove it. And, they won't fix it at their cost either.

on a side note:
That tranny sure did go out early. The previous owner must have beat the **** out of it. They are not the best tranny's but, if you drive it like a granny, they will last past 100k miles --but you gotta do the maintenance on them AND add a transmission cooler.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Accord V6 auto transmission problem --> power steering column problem?

It is possible the o-ring on the steering pump is letting air by....In fact I think there is a TSB somewhere....strange the dealer would say they've never heard anything about this. So me, I'd spend the ~$3 for a new o-ring and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by WHEEELMAN
on a side note:
That tranny sure did go out early. The previous owner must have beat the **** out of it. They are not the best tranny's but, if you drive it like a granny, they will last past 100k miles --but you gotta do the maintenance on them AND add a transmission cooler.
What's a transmission cooler? It sucks that I'm even having to think about measures like this with a newly refabricated transmission that has a 36,000 mile warranty, but I'd rather be proactive about it and not have to deal with this again.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Lost Again
It is possible the o-ring on the steering pump is letting air by....In fact I think there is a TSB somewhere....strange the dealer would say they've never heard anything about this. So me, I'd spend the ~$3 for a new o-ring and see what happens.

Thank's for the response. If I remember correctly (I was absorbing a lot of info about things I have little to no knowledge of), the service rep may have mentioned something about an o-ring. What is a TSB? Total service bulletin, or something to that effect?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TSB-Technical Service Bulletin....I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: Found it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PS Pump TSB.pdf (170.1 KB, 482 views)