Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Need Help on determening what tranny i have in my GSR.....

Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help on determening what tranny i have in my GSR.....

Hey HT
I drive an 97 GSR. When it had the Original gsr tranny in there. The car was faster then it is now. Then i mesed up the tranny and bough a "GSR" tranny. Now i am skeptical about what i have in my car. The 5th gear revs at 3.5rpms while going 80mph. And the gears seem to be longger then my orignla gsr tranny. So this leeds me to tink that i have a ghetto ls tranny wich is making me lag like a mad man. How can i find out that i have a ls tranny 100% or it just has an ls 5th gear and a weird final drive.
Thanks

My old gsr tranny: S80-3056122
Trany thats in the car: S80-30070XX

Last edited by igorka_91; 10-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
A.R
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Help on determening what tranny i have in my GSR.....

whats the code on the gearbox??
Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That seems about right, 4500rpms @ 80mph. Maybe your "original" gsr tranny was actually a b16 tranny. GSR gear ratios are longer than b16s.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I should have an ls tranny but I'm pretty sure 80 isn't 4.5k rpm for me... lol now I'm getting second thoughts. Does 120 @ (I'm guessing since my tach freaks out after 6.5k) 7.5-8k sound right in 4th gear for an LS tranny?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by A.R
whats the code on the gearbox??
Its S80
?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EvilWuzzle
I should have an ls tranny but I'm pretty sure 80 isn't 4.5k rpm for me... lol now I'm getting second thoughts. Does 120 @ (I'm guessing since my tach freaks out after 6.5k) 7.5-8k sound right in 4th gear for an LS tranny?
Im dead serious. 80 mph in 5th gear i am reving at 3.5k rpm. So i have no clue whats up.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gsrvong
That seems about right, 4500rpms @ 80mph. Maybe your "original" gsr tranny was actually a b16 tranny. GSR gear ratios are longer than b16s.
shoot Sorry i hit 4 instead of 3. It revs at 3.5 k rpms while going 80 in 5th gear.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stolen from http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f5/b...-codes-218900/
username:chris_s14

Some more useful info

B-Series Transmission Guide

By: Chet Hewitt

B-series Transmissions

In response to recent questions about different transmissions I think its important to shed some light into the ones available for our b-series motors. There are many differences between B-series transmissions and I've never found an article describing the positives and negatives of each unit. Below, you'll see transmission codes, the car it's found in, and whether or not it has factory LSD. It's important to realize that Honda didn't make it easy for us to distinguish between transmissions. For example, almost all transmissions found in Integra's are stamped S80. This includes the tall LS transmission and the ultra short JDM Type-R transmission. In some cases, the only way to determine which transmission you really have is to take it apart and count the number of teeth on the ring gear. Obviously, in most cases it's not practical to take your transmission apart to determine which one you have. To be safe when acquiring a transmission, you should identify the seller; try to identify the car and or motor it came with.

B16A (Cable), B16A2 (Hydro), B16A3(Hydro):
S4C, S80, Y80, Y21, Y1 (optional LSD)

As most of you know the B16A was featured in Japan between the years of 1989 through 2001. This engine has had several different transmissions mated to it causing some potential confusion.

First, it's important to realize that first generation B16A's came with cable transmissions. The Y1 came with optional factory LSD and should have LSD stamped on the transmission. Determining whether or not a transmission has LSD is very simple, just look into the differential and see if its opened or closed. For those not familiar with this, you'll either see a set of gears that form a closed cylinder, or you'll see an open differential with a bar splitting the middle.

Typically these transmissions have had weak synchro's in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears with 3rd gears crunching the most. Its also worth noting that all of the transmissions minus the Y1 have very weak open differentials making it essential that you upgrade if your putting a lot of power to the ground.

As far as gearing, these transmissions are all pretty short. Here is a listing of the gear ratios and final drive, courtesy of www.bseries.net.

1st: 3.230
2nd: 2.105
3rd: 1.458
4th: 1.107
5th: 0.848
Reverse: 3.000
Final Drive: 4.400

In conclusion, this transmission is good for all motor and should bring between 500-700 if its hydraulic while cable transmissions are worth between 400-600. Please be careful that the transmission you're buying doesn't have bad synchro's because a lot of them have been beaten on and this is the first problem you'll have. Plus, if you're making a lot of power, 170 to the wheels, be prepared to replace your differential because these can be broken with regularity.

B16B (Hydraulic):
S4C (LSD)

The transmission found in the Civic Type R is highly sought after and very rare. Its gear ratio's are identical to that of the B16A's but has a stronger limited slip and dual synchro's in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Expect to pay between 1000-1200 for a genuine CTR transmission because they're rare and well worth the price. Its also worth mentioning that these transmissions are Hydraulic type.

B17A1 (Cable):
YS1

This transmission is found on the rare "blacksheep" of b-series motors. The most important feature here is that its cable-type. This means you can bolt this into any 93 and older integra and 91 and older civic without having to change to hydraulic. The synchro's on this transmission are still considered weak, however the gearing is very good for all motor applications as its identical to the B16A transmissions. Finally, this transmission did not have factory LSD, so keep that in mind when someone is trying to tell you otherwise. Look to pay between 400-600 dollars for this transmission, although its going to be difficult to find and usually when you do, there is something wrong with it.

B18A1 (Cable):
YS1

Again, you'll see how Honda didn't help us out any with the stamping on this transmission. These transmissions however, are much different in there gearing. This transmission has a longer first and second gear with slightly longer 3rd and 4th gears. The final drive is still 4.40:1 making this a possibility for all motor applications, but not your best choice. You'll be able to find this transmission in 90-93 Integra's and they're all cable-type. The prices for these should range between 200-400 for clean, good working units. Paying anymore is pointless, as these transmissions are everywhere.

B18B1 (Hydro):
S80/Y80

This is probably the easiest b-series transmission to find because it's found in every non-VTEC 94-01 Integra. Most notably, this transmission is the longest of all b-series transmissions and has the weakest synchro's and weakest differential. The final drive is 4.266:1 and each of the gears is longer compared to its B16A counterparts. For boost, a lot of people like the gearing of this transmission, plus gas mileage is great and they're very cheap. Look to pay no more than 500 for a clean LS tranny because they're everywhere.

Here is a look at the Specs.

2nd: 1.90
3rd: 1.269
4th: 0.966
5th: 0.714
Final Drive: 4.266:1

B18C:
S80/Y80 (Optional LSD)

The transmission found in JDM GSR's is very popular and overall an excellent transmission. For all motor and boost applicatiosn this transmission has excellent gearing and a stronger differential compared to its B16A and B18B counterparts. The transmissions with LSD should have "LSD" stamped on the casing and to make sure, inspect the differential and use the parameters I described before to identify whether or not the transmission really has LSD. Look to pay between 700-1200 for this transmission depending on whether its LSD equipped. Also worth mentioning, these transmissions are all hydraulic.

Here is a look at the specs:

2nd: 1.900
3rd: 1.360
4th: 1.034
5th: 0.787

B18C1:
Y80

This transmission is found in all USDM GSR's. Although LSD was not offered these transmissions are still highly sought after because of their stronger differentials and optimal gearing. For those not interested in ultra-short gearing this transmission provides the perfect balance between acceleration and top end. Look to pay around 700-1000 for these transmissions.

The specs are the same as above:

2nd: 1.900
3rd: 1.360

B18C5:
S80 (Helical LSD)

This transmission is one of the best B-series transmissions Honda has offered in its vehicles. Every gear has dual synchro's and the gearing is perfect for all motor applications. Plus, LSD is standard and will be stamped on the housing. Look to spend between 1200-1400 for these transmissions because of their quality, LSD, age and gear ratio's. Finally, if there is some question about whether or not you're S80 has 4.4 final drive or 4.7 final drive you can check the transmission housing. The code "4jhd" means 4.4 final drive was offered as original equipment, while "n3e" signifies 4.78 final drive.

The specs are below:

4th: 1.107
5th: 0.848

B18C (JDM Type R):
S80 (Helical LSD)

JDM Type R transmissions are the best for all motor applications where acceleration is emphasized most. All 98 and up JDM Type R transmissions came with 4.785 final drive with the same 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears as the USDM Type R. To make highway driving more tolerable, the 4th and 5th gears are the same as GSR transmissions. Look to spend between 1400-1600 for these transmissions because of their final drive and rarity.

Here is a look at the specs:

Final Drive: 4.785

Conclusion

In conclusion I hope this article allows for a better understanding of B-series transmissions. Depending on your application, budget and availability the transmission you chose will certainly affect overall performance. For more questions, feel free to email me at chet@hondaswap.com, or post in our forums.

Sources: Cory Thompson, www.bseries.net
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah thanks, 80 mph @ 3.5k in 5th is about right.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EvilWuzzle
Ah thanks, 80 mph @ 3.5k in 5th is about right.
Is there any way i can do a 4th gear roll at like 3k rpm and what speed will that be....Or is there a chart for the ls tranny like in 1st gear when u rev at 2k u go this fast then next gear and till 5th...?
How much work will it require for me to swap in a LS 5th gear into my original gsr tranny that i know for shure is the original one. Or is it not worth the extra money and time.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont believe there is a chart for that specific of terms (MPH:RPM) normally it is simply listed as the gear ratio. The higher the gear ratio, in layman's terms, means that you will be revving higher (RPM) in the same gear for the same MPH. For example:
B18B1 5th: 0.714 (3.5k RPM @ 80)
B18C1 5th: 0.787 (4k RPM @ 80)
B16A 5th: 0.848 (4.5~5k RPM @ 80)
There are calculators online that will show you charts with RPM -> MPH, you have to input your tire diameter, rear gear ratio, and transmission gear ratio. One can be found here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

People swap the LS 5th gears into GSR's quite commonly, if you have the know-how to do so it shouldn't take too much time.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zappythebum
I dont believe there is a chart for that specific of terms (MPH:RPM) normally it is simply listed as the gear ratio. The higher the gear ratio, in layman's terms, means that you will be revving higher (RPM) in the same gear for the same MPH. For example:
B18B1 5th: 0.714 (3.5k RPM @ 80)
B18C1 5th: 0.787 (4k RPM @ 80)
B16A 5th: 0.848 (4.5~5k RPM @ 80)
There are calculators online that will show you charts with RPM -> MPH, you have to input your tire diameter, rear gear ratio, and transmission gear ratio. One can be found here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

People swap the LS 5th gears into GSR's quite commonly, if you have the know-how to do so it shouldn't take too much time.
Thanks guys
i will go out and compare the tranny gearing with my budies gsr............Last time we did this. All the gears matched up except 5th. I will do it again just to make shure that they match up again. And i will reserch the ls 5th gear into an gsr tranny.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goodluck with it
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zappythebum
goodluck with it
LOL It feels like my gears are longer. I had the tranny for 5 months already on the car but never really cared about it tilll now cuzz it just pises me of that the guy that i bought it of said that its a "gsr tranny"..........Bought it for 450 to lol but oh well it only has 80 k on it and doesnt gring. Shulda spent the extra 300 400 and bought an rebuild gsr tranny with lsd for 7004 with 3 k miles on it. This guy was selling one on cl with paperwork to prove everything.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by igorka_91
Is there any way i can do a 4th gear roll at like 3k rpm and what speed will that be....Or is there a chart for the ls tranny like in 1st gear when u rev at 2k u go this fast then next gear and till 5th...?
How much work will it require for me to swap in a LS 5th gear into my original gsr tranny that i know for shure is the original one. Or is it not worth the extra money and time.
I don't want to go out and do that right now but from memory it's a bit short of 50 mph... it's like 48 or so.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like an ls for sure. i'm at 3,500rpm in 5th gear going 80mph also. plus, same thing happened to me. had a gsr, fawked it up, bought a "gsr" tranny, but turns out to be ls.

questions are, where and how much did you buy the tranny for?

also, could be that they put a ls 5th gear in it. its pretty common these days. but if the seller didnt mention that then most likely its a ls. sorry man.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crack it open...tappered bearing and 66 teeth is b16, gsr, and itr. 64 teeth its an LS.

Synchrotech gave me those specs when my friend was trying to determine which s80 he had.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hmoobhero
sounds like an ls for sure. i'm at 3,500rpm in 5th gear going 80mph also. plus, same thing happened to me. had a gsr, fawked it up, bought a "gsr" tranny, but turns out to be ls.

questions are, where and how much did you buy the tranny for?

also, could be that they put a ls 5th gear in it. its pretty common these days. but if the seller didnt mention that then most likely its a ls. sorry man.
I boughgt it of some guy in Woodland. Wrote me a bill of sale etc etc for 420........Shulda known better. When i race a gsr with original gsr tranies. They all shift alot sonner then i do.......Or maybe i redline it and they dont.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JdmTypeRdc2
crack it open...tappered bearing and 66 teeth is b16, gsr, and itr. 64 teeth its an LS.

Synchrotech gave me those specs when my friend was trying to determine which s80 he had.
nah not gonna mess with a good tranny that runs like a champ. Ill do that once i build my originla gsr tranny. And id have to take it off to take the casing of most likely..?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by igorka_91
nah not gonna mess with a good tranny that runs like a champ. Ill do that once i build my originla gsr tranny. And id have to take it off to take the casing of most likely..?
How would opening it up and counting the teeth make it not run like a champ. Youre not doing anything, you are just unbolting it off the car, opening it up, counting the teeth and putting it back on. Youre not taking off any internal parts.

I have taken my transmission out 3 times, to inspect it, put in clutch, and clean...

It runs perfect still. If you do not trust your mechanical ability, then thats a different story, but if you are able to do it yourself, taking out a tranny is not going to be detrimental to the life of it.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

simply put dude got jacked he's got an ls trans cause when i worked at a shop we put an ls trans on a b16 and put it on the dyno and third gear had stupid mile n hour talkin 100+ but the dude who posted that list of trans and what not top flight ****
Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JdmTypeRdc2
How would opening it up and counting the teeth make it not run like a champ. Youre not doing anything, you are just unbolting it off the car, opening it up, counting the teeth and putting it back on. Youre not taking off any internal parts.

I have taken my transmission out 3 times, to inspect it, put in clutch, and clean...

It runs perfect still. If you do not trust your mechanical ability, then thats a different story, but if you are able to do it yourself, taking out a tranny is not going to be detrimental to the life of it.
LOL bro
I lost count how many times i took the damn tranny of because of clutch isues, flywheel isues, flywheel bolts coming lose atleast 2 times a week......Atleast 7 if not more times i took it of. My dad just told me not to take it apart. Last time i took the tranny of in about 1hour20minutes if that.

Will take it off once i got my original gsr tranny all fixed up and good to bolt back in.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1SLW4DR
simply put dude got jacked he's got an ls trans cause when i worked at a shop we put an ls trans on a b16 and put it on the dyno and third gear had stupid mile n hour talkin 100+ but the dude who posted that list of trans and what not top flight ****
Leson learned
Now does any one know any one in SACRAMENTO area ho has gsr tranies with good internals. I need a complete main shaft for a hydro tranny because my FD is missing 3teeths and my shifter selector snapped.
Heres what i mean.

The teeth that are broken of. How could this have happened..?

And the gear shifter slector thing.........
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good thread, I got an s80 I been tryin to figure myself. Now I am starting to think ls. I wanna cry. lol