Notices

Refilling R134 freon question

Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refilling R134 freon question

If my system has no leaks, and just needs more freon, is it as simple as the back of the freon bottle states? Looking at it today at the auto parts store, it said start the car, let it run for a couple minutes with the AC on high, connect the tube from the freon and open it up. You will notice the car blowing colder air........

I know this is not the exact set of instructions, but I just was wondering if I could screw it up by trying it myself? I was told you need to know how much to put in and when to stop it, etc. If you put too much it could ruin your entire system.

Is it OK for me to try and add the freon myself without the possibility of creating a haz mat situation on my street?

91 CRX SI if that matters

thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Refilling R134 freon question

the procedure is as simple as the back of the bottle describes, provided the system in your car has already been converted to r134 from r12.

Part of the conversion process involves fitting the r134 style input valves to the old r12 input valves. This means that the adapter on the bottle of r134 should snap and secure to the input on the low side with ease. if the size is vastly different, then the conversion may not have been done, or not done properly on your car. There should also be a sticker somewhere detailing the conversion, if it was done by a legit shop.

as far as screwing it up, there isn't really anything you could do to screw it up. The most dangerous part is determining the low side AC pipe from the high side, but the fittings are different for those too, so you can't even get the adapter to work on the high side line. The low side usually has a light blue or light green cap and is the hard line closest to the hood by the passenger shock tower, and the high side is red and its adapter is harder to get to. Just make sure the car and the AC are both running when you do it.

as a final note, just make sure you have proper ventilation when you perform the operation. if you are in the garage, leave the garage door open or cracked a few feet, and if you have another door to the outside, open that too. that way, if the leak in your ac system is bigger than you thought, you aren't going to suffocate yourself.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Refilling R134 freon question

Yea, its been converted for sure. Thanks for the answer. I think I will give it a whirl now that I know I will only be out the 30 bucks for the can of freon if I screw it up.