Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Radiator fan issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan issues

So the previous owner of my present cluster **** need's to be assasinated. So the guy did a half ***, half wire tuck. He tucked the condensor and compressor clutch relay's upside down in the inner fender well, with no fender liner on. Needless to say water and sludge built up in the condensor relay and caused the relay to short and catch fire. The AC was also taken out of this car just to note. So following day after the fiery relay, i noticed the radiator fan was coming on as soon as i turned the key to supply power. Then following that a couple days later i was stuck in place, and the temp gauge sky rocketed. Obviously indicating that the radiator fan was now not coming on at all. So anyways im using a honda flow chart to diag the problem. And so theirs a few things im trying to understand. Being its a 2 fan car(which the previous idiot took out the condensor fan) Would that relay going up effect the radiator fan from now coming on. I dont see it on the same circuit, but assuming since its a 2 fan setup they both should always come on together. So would bad relay circuit effect the radiator fan from coming on. Or should the radiator fan always kick on first and then the condensor fan receive its signal from that to work in tandom.

So far ive checked the underhood fuses.
Ran power to the radiator fan motor(turns on)
Checked the radiator fan relay in the underhood box(used continuity test) checked fine.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan issues

Your radiator fan not coming on is not causing your car to overheat. My radiator fan hasn't worked for the past 7 years and I don't overheat at all. I even took out my radiator fan over a year ago. I live in MD, too, so I deal with the same temps you do.

Have you checked your coolant level yet?

Oh, if you need fenderliners, or any other parts, let me know.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rad fan is controlled by the fan relay on the tstat housing; the condenser fan is exactly as it says: for the a/c condenser. The fan was removed when the a/c was pulled. The condenser fan only comes on when the a/c is turned on. What links the two is when the a/c is turned on, in which case both fans come on full. That should be the only interaction between the two.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i actually do need items for my car, if you have a wrecked car or something for parts.

Well i think its the curse of chik-fi-le, first time i was waiting in their slow *** line, thats when my relay caught fire. Second time when i was waiting in their slow *** line thats when i noticed my guague go all the way up. Needless to say i keep my car away from that place now lol. but anyways.

1st-relay caught fire.
2nd-next day fan was coming on as soon as i started the car.
3rd-week later 15-20mins in stand still line, car hit max temp bars. Rad fan was not coming on at all.
4th-checked the fuse,ranpowertomotor,checked relay. All tested fine.
5th-Tried reving the ****er holding it at 3k trying to get it nice and warm, spent probly about 20 mins just letting it run, could not get it hot enough to see if the fan would kick on.(go figure)
6th-pretty sure it was the ****ed up relay that caused a problem, maybe shorted out something else. So idealy my goal was to find a new socket and splice it into the harness since the relay melted the connector and go from there. So thats why i was wondering if the condenor relay effected the radiator fan system at all. I mean ideally the condensor relay shouldnt have shorted anything due to the fuse box idealy should prevent that.