Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car died and won't start

Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died and won't start

I was driving a 98 honda accord a couple nights ago on the freeway, and it was set on cruise control. Suddenly, it lost power and the speedometer began to creep downward. I started pressing the gas, but it wouldn't do anything. I popped it in neutral for a bit and then back in drive and it gained power again and got me home, so I thought nothing of it. Well yesterday, I was stopped at a stoplight, and my car started shaking a bit as if it was out of gas and gradually died. I had to push the car out of traffic, and then after about 2 minutes it started back up. I was almost to my destination so I just drove the rest of the way with no problems. On my way back home I was going about 40 and the same thing happened that happened on the freeway the night before, except this time it wouldn't gain power back. It died and I had to get it towed all the way home.

Based on these occurences, I think it is probably the fuel pump, but am not sure and wanted to hear your guys input. Also, if it is the fuel pump, how hard is that to replace on that car? I think this car has an access panel in the trunk so that I don't have to remove the gas tank. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Car died and won't start

Originally Posted by aowpsycho
I was driving a 98 honda accord a couple nights ago on the freeway, and it was set on cruise control. Suddenly, it lost power and the speedometer began to creep downward. I started pressing the gas, but it wouldn't do anything. I popped it in neutral for a bit and then back in drive and it gained power again and got me home, so I thought nothing of it. Well yesterday, I was stopped at a stoplight, and my car started shaking a bit as if it was out of gas and gradually died. I had to push the car out of traffic, and then after about 2 minutes it started back up. I was almost to my destination so I just drove the rest of the way with no problems. On my way back home I was going about 40 and the same thing happened that happened on the freeway the night before, except this time it wouldn't gain power back. It died and I had to get it towed all the way home.

Based on these occurences, I think it is probably the fuel pump, but am not sure and wanted to hear your guys input. Also, if it is the fuel pump, how hard is that to replace on that car? I think this car has an access panel in the trunk so that I don't have to remove the gas tank. Any other suggestions?
Has the CEL lamp come on?

P

Last edited by P_Adams; 08-29-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
Has the CEL lamp come on?

P
No it hasn't
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

why do you assume it's your fuel pump? i'd do some research before jumping to quick conclusions. To replace the fuel pump i think you will need to drop the fuel tank (I THINK so DO NOT take my word for it). So with that said i'd start by getting out the multi-meter
Old 08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aowpsycho

When was the last time you fueled up?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kidcool1977
why do you assume it's your fuel pump? i'd do some research before jumping to quick conclusions. To replace the fuel pump i think you will need to drop the fuel tank (I THINK so DO NOT take my word for it). So with that said i'd start by getting out the multi-meter
Because when it died when I was at the stop light it was bogging down as if I didn't have fuel going through. The tow truck driver said it sounded like a fuel pump too so that was my first option. And I don't think I have to drop the fuel tank for this car.

Originally Posted by P_Adams
When was the last time you fueled up?
I fueled up about a week ago, it has about a half tank of gas. Now that I think about it, my dad told me that when he was driving a couple weeks ago it died in the middle of an intersection and then started right back up again when he tried.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 PM

hmm.. if it's the fuel pump, either it's working or not (I think). But since it's working, I dont think it is the pump. Try putting the key in the ignition and turning it ON only, but don't start. You'll hear the fuel pump... Try doing it again a couple of times and see if at some time, the fuel pump isn't working. You'll hear the pump, just as long as it's quiet.. Then you would have a rough idea if it has to do with the fuel pump.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I didn't want to self diagnose this car so I took it to a shop to have it looked at. The guy just called back and confirmed that the fuel pump is bad and then quoted me at $765 to fix it! That seems a bit outrageous to me. Labor is going to cost 350, which sounds like it COULD make sense, but the fuel pump alone is 400!??! I find that hard to believe. Do you guys think this guy is ripping me off, and should I just do it myself? I do most of my work on my car and am pretty mechanically inclined.

Oh and btw I have confirmed that the gas tank has to be dropped.

Last edited by aowpsycho; 09-04-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes thats overly expensive, just buy a walbro for 100 bucks
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that it's diagnosed, siphon the tank, drop it, and replace the pump, replace the sock, and clean out the tank while you're at it.

$750 is definitely a lot of money for something simple... it can just be a pain in the ***. I've only changed external mechanical pumps before, but it shouldn't be too bad to do this yourself.