Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

P1456 DTC is sure difficult to solve!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 AM
rjp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1456 DTC is sure difficult to solve!

Man oh man this is a difficult DTC to troubleshoot! I have tried every test in the service manual and the updated modified tests described in Tech Bulletin 99-075 and so far no luck.

Here's what I see. The fuel tank system holds vacuum and pulls easily to 2.1 Volts as measured on the FTP (Fuel tank pressure sensor) when I apply vacuum with a hand pump to the canister side of the 2-way valve and manually open the bypass valve as instructed by the TB. This vacuum easily holds for the required 20 sec test interval as specified. If I release the gas cap the vacuum does go away immediately, so there are no leaks anywhere. Good.

So I reset the code and go out for a ride with my PC attached and after driving for about 10 minutes I see p1456 pending again! (No MIL yet, just pending. This is a two-drive code for MIL.). At the same time I left my DVM connected to the FTP terminals of the ECM so I could constantly measure the fuel tank pressure while driving. It is 2.4 V when open to atmosphere. I never saw it drop for the diagnostic to run. I also never saw it increase much! This is the interesting part. According to the service manual the FTP should read about 3V after the car has been running for a while. Mine only increased from 2.4 to 2.55 max. (If I open the tank drops back to 2.4 as expected) What is limiting max pressure?

So, my conclusion so far is that the tank system holds vacuum, but not pressure. I am further assuming that the diagnostic first runs a pressure test before opening the bypass valve, applying canister vacuum to the tank and running a vacuum test. However, it is impossible to know these things for sure without talking to a Honda engineer. Any out there?

I did notice that the 2-way valve is a rather complex thing. Apparently it is designed to permit a certain minimal vacuum or pressure from the tank before opening. The amount is so small I found it hard to measure on the standard vacuum gauge. .2-.6 inHg. I suspect that there is some possibility that this threshold is too low in my valve and it is opening under too little pressure. For anyone who's studied this system you know that this valve connects the tank side of the system to the canister side of the system. The canister side is pretty much always under vacuum. The tank side is supposed to be able to achieve a pressure reading of 3 V.

Going out on a limb here, but my guess at this point is that the 2 vay valve is breaking FT pressure too early and only allowing my tank to reach 2.55V rather than 3V. Think I'll buy a new one.

Looking at mode 6 on the scanner I see one test failed (Test number 39). The reported value is 1 and the minimum is 10.

Anyone know what #39 is testing on Honda?

Thanks for any help, and hopefully this will be of help to some other poor souls suffering from the ever elusive p1456.

Rich

(Car is 1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl automatic)
Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 AM
rjp

Default Re: P1456 DTC is sure difficult to solve!

Interesting. I found this excerpt from the following doc.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/MO/AMO27070.pdf

If I convert test id 39 to hex it is 27. And lo and behold $27 is a non continuously monitored test that does cause p1456 to set. Seems to describe my condition.

---------------------------------------------
Test ID $27 Test Limit Type and
Component ID $81
DTC P1456
Test Description
Monitoring the fluctuation of fuel tank pressure sensor output value. It should be monitored
before and after the two-way bypass valve is opened, after fuel tank pressure is checked in
certain time after engine starting with cold condition.
Store Timing Normal judgement/Failure judgement
Conversion to Engineering
Units
Measured value: Output value (Decimal) x 0.488281 (mmHg)
The lowest limit value: Output value (Decimal) x 0.488281 (mmHg)
The highest limit value: Not applicable

Last edited by rjp; 09-03-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The system uses vacuum from the intake through the Purge Valve. Vacuum is applied then to the 2-way/bypass assembly. The FTP is after the 2-way/bypass on the tank side of the system. If the Purge Valve doesn't open during the diagnostic, the FTP will never drop and the test will fail.

You proved the Bypass works. You proved the Canister Vent Shut Valve works. You proved the FTP responds. I suspect the PCS ( Purge Valve ) is not opening. Confirm this with a vacuum pump and a 12v source. You seem to know how. Let me know. I have seen blown drivers in the ECM from shorted Bypass solenoids. But, you operated the bypass and saw a reaction, so I dont suspect that yet.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
rjp

Originally Posted by phootbag
The system uses vacuum from the intake through the Purge Valve. Vacuum is applied then to the 2-way/bypass assembly. The FTP is after the 2-way/bypass on the tank side of the system. If the Purge Valve doesn't open during the diagnostic, the FTP will never drop and the test will fail.

You proved the Bypass works. You proved the Canister Vent Shut Valve works. You proved the FTP responds. I suspect the PCS ( Purge Valve ) is not opening. Confirm this with a vacuum pump and a 12v source. You seem to know how. Let me know. I have seen blown drivers in the ECM from shorted Bypass solenoids. But, you operated the bypass and saw a reaction, so I dont suspect that yet.
I did observe vacuum at the canister on the line from the purge valve. It seems to be pulsing rather than smooth. I think it was about 10 inHg. Anyway, the problem I am observing is a lack of pressure, and this part of the test should not require the input vacuum. That comes later I think.

Here's what I did tonight.

To try to determine what was preventing the pressure from building I decided to crimp off two hoses: one from the 2 way valve to canister, and one from the ORVR at the tank to canister. Neither hose crimp enabled the pressure to rise to 3V. In fact they made no difference at all. So next I took my vacuum pump and switched it to pressure mode and just connected it ti the tank system using a tee, but could not get the system to hold pressurize for long. I could force it up to 3V with rapid pumping, but it would drain back down in a matter of 10 secs. To make a long story short, I found a leak and fixed it. The leak was on top of the ORVR valve on the top of the gas tank (I had already cut out the trunk floor to get to it last week so access was easy). There is a little tower with a plastic lid. Soap bubbles showed it was leaking. The lid was lose and popped off inside was a steel ball and spring. Appears to be a one way check valve? Who knows. Anyway, I cleaned it up and epoxyed it back together and no more leak, Now I can pump the system to 2.996 volts using my hand pump. It can go no higher because at precisely this value the 2 way valve opens and dumps pressure to the canister. I guess this is why the manual said 3 volts was normal. This makes me think the 2 way valve is working as it should since it has enough resistance to allow around 3 V. So everything looks good so far. Except, I still don't see 3 V from the car's fuel alone, only when I pump it up manually. Maybe the gas needs some magic to evaporate properly? Maybe new gas? Maybe tomorrow.

I reset the code. Tomorrow will tell.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job. Pulsing is normal, by the way. Also, the system uses vacuum during its tests. Pressure is only monitored briefly to establish a known rate of evaporation for the fuel vapors during that particular test duration.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way, I've never actually seen 3V naturally on a data list.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 AM
rjp

What do you mean by data list?

The 3 V figure I mentioned is what I read in the 1998 -2002 Accord factory service manual under the test procedure for DTC p1456 (11-151).

Step 16 says "Start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Is the FTP sensor reading above 0.53 kPa (0.16 inHg 4 mm Hg) pressure, or approx 3V?"

I did notice that this last phrase "or approx 3V" is *not* included in the previous year's service manual 1999-2001. I guess they added it for people who only have a voltmeter and not a Honda tester. Perhaps this explains why you haven't seen it.

I discovered that it is the 2-way valve that determines this pressure. This valve opens about when the reading hits 3.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:09 AM
rjp

Good job. Pulsing is normal, by the way. Also, the system uses vacuum during its tests. Pressure is only monitored briefly to establish a known rate of evaporation for the fuel vapors during that particular test duration.
I believe you are correct and vacuum is used for the test (though I can't find a description of the diagnostic execution steps anywhere). I suspect that the bypass valve gets opened while the canister is under vacuum and this causes a vacuum to be drawn on the tank system and the FTP drops, then the bypass valve is closed and the ECM monitors the FTP reading to see if the vacuum holds. Correct?

However, I suspect that this vacuum portion of the test may not even run if the pressure isn't within range first. Just a guess.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
rjp

So far no pending code, but I don't think the diagnostic ran today at all since there may not have been a long enough trip after sitting overnight.

Phootbag:
Do you know why the manual says to let the car idle for 5 mins before measuring the FTP? If the pressure is just from natural evaporation of gasoline, what is the reason for having the car running idle? Does it do something to the pressure?

THanks,
Rich
Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean I've never seen 3v on the FTP unless I made it happen.

Purge Valve opens, Canister Vent Valve shuts, the bypass opens and vacuum is applied to the system. The bypass shuts, Purge Valve shuts and ECM monitors FTP on tank side. That is P1456. Bypass opens and ECM watches FTP for unwanted change. That is P1457. If p1456 sets, you could have a problem with canister side such as a bad CVS or PCS. The newer systems have no 2way/bypass at all. Much better design.

Thats an over simplified explanation but the main steps are there.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM
rjp

I mean I've never seen 3v on the FTP unless I made it happen.

Purge Valve opens, Canister Vent Valve shuts, the bypass opens and vacuum is applied to the system. The bypass shuts, Purge Valve shuts and ECM monitors FTP on tank side. That is P1456. Bypass opens and ECM watches FTP for unwanted change. That is P1457. If p1456 sets, you could have a problem with canister side such as a bad CVS or PCS. The newer systems have no 2way/bypass at all. Much better design.

Thats an over simplified explanation but the main steps are there.
I am very happy to report that the problem appears to be fixed now. Finally!

Today the readiness indicator for the evap test went green indicating ready and no codes are stored or pending. I am so relieved. I was starting to think it would never go away.

So in summary, the problem causing the p1456 code was a leak at in the ORVR valve (the one that is mounted on top of the fuel tank. The top popped off the little can in the front part of the valve where the hose from the two way valve connects. Inside is a steel ball and a spring. I lost the original ball and used a replacement 1/8" inch. I originally glued the top back on using general purpose cement and it held under vacuum but not under pressure and still caused p1456. I then opened it up cleaned it off and put it back on with epoxy and it held vacuum and pressure. After that the diagnostic passed. No more 1456!

Thanks for your explanation of the general test procedure. I did notice from the layout that it must be necessary to pass p1456 before the car can test p1457 since the latter involves a vacuum on both tank and canister sides, which can only be interpreted as a canister test if the tank side has already passed.

Well, for what it's worth, 2 way valves open when the pressure reaches about 2.98 V on the FTP, and ORVR's open when the vacuum reaches about 1.8 V on the FTP. In case anyone's ever interested.

-Rich
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: P1456 DTC is sure difficult to solve!

Probably the most informative post thus far, I've had code p1456 for over a year now.

I've replaced my 2-Way Valve, the Bypass Solenoid, the Canister Vent Shut Off Valve, dealer supplied Gas Cap. Even the the Purge Solenoid mounted on the intake manifold, and the valve mounted on the firewall behind the vacuum canister in the engine bay were both replaced. I removed the backup/clock fuse and reset after every replacement.

I've read about the CVS shorting out the ECM, well I removed mine inspected it and did find some strange looking circuit paths which seemed toasty. Purchased a used one in excellent condition and had it reflashed but to no avail.

I suspect my ORVR valve is bad since getting underneath the car doesnt reveal a distinct vapor smell emanating from anywhere in particular (nothing from canister, filter, hoses, etc). Also, removing the rear panel which reveals the filler neck doesnt provide any sharp vapor smell either. There is a general smell of gas fumes after driving however, my guess is since I've replaced everything EXCEPT the ORVR valve that there really is no other choice.

Rich, could you elaborate on how and where you cut the trunk floor to access the ORVR valve? It's worth a check at the very least. Also, did you find the need to replace the gasket which the ORVR sensor sits in? Suggestions?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM
rjp

Originally Posted by Filthypanda86
Probably the most informative post thus far, I've had code p1456 for over a year now.

I've replaced my 2-Way Valve, the Bypass Solenoid, the Canister Vent Shut Off Valve, dealer supplied Gas Cap. Even the the Purge Solenoid mounted on the intake manifold, and the valve mounted on the firewall behind the vacuum canister in the engine bay were both replaced. I removed the backup/clock fuse and reset after every replacement.

I've read about the CVS shorting out the ECM, well I removed mine inspected it and did find some strange looking circuit paths which seemed toasty. Purchased a used one in excellent condition and had it reflashed but to no avail.

I suspect my ORVR valve is bad since getting underneath the car doesnt reveal a distinct vapor smell emanating from anywhere in particular (nothing from canister, filter, hoses, etc). Also, removing the rear panel which reveals the filler neck doesnt provide any sharp vapor smell either. There is a general smell of gas fumes after driving however, my guess is since I've replaced everything EXCEPT the ORVR valve that there really is no other choice.

Rich, could you elaborate on how and where you cut the trunk floor to access the ORVR valve? It's worth a check at the very least. Also, did you find the need to replace the gasket which the ORVR sensor sits in? Suggestions?
Well, I posted some more details about the repair here:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...072#post538072

Also, I was able to repair my ORVR rather than replace it. I didn't even have to remove it from the tank. I noticed that it was leaking under a pressure test (low pressure only 3-5 PSI). The top of the plastic part had come unattached. I removed it completely and epoxyed it back on. There was a little steel ball and spring inside this section, fyi.

THe Honda service manual has some pretty detailed instructions for testing the ORVR. You should follow those first. TO find my lean I only needed to connect a manual vacuum/pressure pump to the line from the canister to the ORVR. Tested under vacuum it passed, but test under pressure leaked.

An easy way to measure the pressure or vacuum is to leave the FTP sensor in the loop. and read the voltage output as specified. If it changes, it's leaking.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, well I found Honda's troubleshooting guide here:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...v6-sedan-check

I'm gonna need a mighty vac. From there I'll observe the ftp voltage. Something about backprobing makes me nervous, probes never quite seem small enough for tiny japanese electrical connections. I'll need to invest in a non-contact volt or multimeter

P1456 in a way simplifies things, I've read p1457 can't initialize unless parameters for p1456 have been met.

I remember a while back I was performing various preventative maintenance stuff on the car (approaching 200k) and I decided to install a new fuel pump filter/sock. There's a rather thick gasket on the pump flange, it's size indicates it has a hard job of sealing, more so than any normal gasket would. Also, now reading the haynes manual points out that its mandatory to replace once removed, I guess it undergoes expansion or something.
Naturally I reused the old one, and I actually observed it to be in pretty bad condition, strange how I forgot about that.
Actually now that I think about it there may have even been a missing bolt or two on the pump flange

Doubt there's a leak significant enough to effect pressure readings, regardless, before I move further on diagnosing the evap gonna order an $8 gasket and some bolts. Probably best to rule out any possibility.

Will update after it stops snowing here in Houston.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
New User

2002 Accord Coupe

CEL on, mechanic said it was P1456, said it was the evap valve (more on this). Few days after P1456 was fixed, CEL on, mechanic said it is P1457. Mechanic did smoke test and says there is leak in charcoal canister. Mechanic says the codes are unrelated, and that P1457 couldn't show up until P1456 was fixed. I went back to discuss the P1456, the mechanic wasn't there but the manager said he believed the purge valve was replaced. They replaced this because they found gas building up.

Is it true that P1457 cannot show up if P1456 shows up? I thought that both codes could show up at the same time, but maybe not. From what I've been reading in these forums, these evap codes are difficult to diagnose. I'm must wondering if the course of action taken by my mechanic is reasonable. I need to go back and talk with them and want to be sure I am well informed.

Where can I find diagrams for the fuel system for my specific car? Do such diagrams exist? I'm trying to understand exactly how this system works. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 2001 Honda Accord 4 cylinder automatic and want to understand (physics of) the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation. Any Honda engineer out there? Would someone, please, address the following issues:

1. Describe the detection principles and methods for the "EVAP Tank Side" (I have DTC P1456).

2. Describe the detection principles and methods for the "EVAP Canister Side" (have had DTC P1457).

3. When (at what conditions) does the EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve energize (to close)?

4. When (at what conditions) does the EVAP Canister Bypass Solenoid Valve energize (to open)?

5. The EVAP Two Way Valve opens by both positive (1 kPa) and vacuum (0.8 - 2.1 kPa) conditions in the gas tank. How can, then, the tank build pressure (albeit small) during the first 20 seconds after engine start-up?

6. The EVAP Canister Purge Valve opens (and is duty controlled) whenever engine coolant temperature is above 167 F. What the other two (namely the EVAP Canister Vent Shut and the Canister Bypass Solenoid), electrically controlled by solenoid, valves do then? When do they open/close?

Apparently, all this is contained in (some) Honda Manual; I bought all their (service and repair) manuals, but nowhere there is a description of the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation. How does one get such manual? I found the Honda service personnel were not qualified describing the physics of the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation (values, changes, sequences, etc. of the gas tank pressure).

Thanks. -- tabacka --
Old 12-19-2009, 02:58 PM
rjp

Good questions tabacka. If I had this information it would have been much easier to solve my 1456 code. There is no manual anywhere that I know of that contains the info you seek. There is very little, if any, chance that the average Honda Tech in the shop will know this stuff either. Only the design engineers would know this, and the details are not openly published to my knowledge. That said, I was able to decern much of the info you asked about by observing the system, but I have forgotten too much of it to write about it now without error. The vacuum and pressure is tricky. Apparently the source of pressure is fuel evaporation only, whereas vacuum is provided by the engine. To pass 1456 the system must first pass a pressure test apparently, then a vacuum test is later performed. The 3-way valve allows a nominal operating pressure to exist in the tank side at all times it seems. More than this will break the stop and additional pressure will spillover to the canister side. The bypass can make this happen manually. The valve at the engine (Purge valve) is pretty much just always on above a certain temp and modulated as you mentioned) Just think of it as a vacuum source. The fuel tank pressure sensor is not in the fuel tank. It is connected to the 3-way valve. Tank side system is vacuum tested by placing under vacuum, then sealing off and monitoring FTP voltage to see if vacuum holds for a predefined time. If 1456 passes, then the bypass valve is opened and the combined system (tank + canister) is tested. If this fails, then 1457 is declared since 1456 was know to be good. If you have a specific question I may be able to help, but I hope you get a real engineering response.

This would be a great contribution to the troubleshooting world.

Originally Posted by tabacka
I have 2001 Honda Accord 4 cylinder automatic and want to understand (physics of) the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation. Any Honda engineer out there? Would someone, please, address the following issues:

1. Describe the detection principles and methods for the "EVAP Tank Side" (I have DTC P1456).

2. Describe the detection principles and methods for the "EVAP Canister Side" (have had DTC P1457).

3. When (at what conditions) does the EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve energize (to close)?

4. When (at what conditions) does the EVAP Canister Bypass Solenoid Valve energize (to open)?

5. The EVAP Two Way Valve opens by both positive (1 kPa) and vacuum (0.8 - 2.1 kPa) conditions in the gas tank. How can, then, the tank build pressure (albeit small) during the first 20 seconds after engine start-up?

6. The EVAP Canister Purge Valve opens (and is duty controlled) whenever engine coolant temperature is above 167 F. What the other two (namely the EVAP Canister Vent Shut and the Canister Bypass Solenoid), electrically controlled by solenoid, valves do then? When do they open/close?

Apparently, all this is contained in (some) Honda Manual; I bought all their (service and repair) manuals, but nowhere there is a description of the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation. How does one get such manual? I found the Honda service personnel were not qualified describing the physics of the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation (values, changes, sequences, etc. of the gas tank pressure).

Thanks. -- tabacka --
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rjp,

This is what I have learned, thus far, about the evaporative emission (EVAP) control system checks, and what conditions must be met to get DTC P1456 light to come on (i.e. "Tank Side" leak).

General Description

The evaporative emission (EVAP) control system stores fuel vapor from the fuel tank in the EVAP canister temporarily to prevent it from escaping to the atmosphere and to enable it to be drawn into the engine by intake manifold vacuum and burned. In addition, the onboard refueling vapor recovery system (ORVR) stores fuel vapor generated when fueling in the EVAP canister. The EVAP control system leak detection method improves the accuracy and frequency of the detection by determining faulty components and vapor leakage for each part.

The EVAP control system (from the purge valve to the fuel tank) is divided into two parts. One is the "EVAP Canister Side" (from the EVAP two way valve to the purge valve) with DTC P1457, and the other is the "Tank Side" (from the EVAP two way valve to the fuel tank) with DTC P1456. Each side uses different detection principles and methods. The tank side 0.04 inch (Hg) leak (DTC P1456) detection procedures have been modified since the ‘98 model year, and the same detection method is used in the first drive cycle and the second drive cycle.

• Three steps are performed for leak detection during a valid drive cycle (DTC P1456).

Step 1: Start the engine from the specified engine coolant and intake air temperature. Compare the output value from the fuel tank pressure sensor right after start-up with the one after 20 seconds have elapsed. If there is a change between them, the tank side is (OK) considered free of leaks. Otherwise, go to Step 2.

Step 2: Monitor the changes of absolute pressure in the fuel tank for a specified time period after starting the engine. If it changes by a specified value toward negative pressure, or the difference between the maximum and minimum absolute pressure in the fuel tank is large, it is interpreted as no leakage in the tank side and the detection is complete. Otherwise, go to the next Step 3.

Step 3: If the difference between the absolute pressures in the fuel tank right after the specified time period has elapsed and after a while is small, it is interpreted as leakage in the “Tank Side”. If it is in the first drive cycle, a temporary DTC is stored. If it is in the second drive cycle, a DTC is stored, the MIL illuminates, and the detection is complete.

Malfunction Threshold (MIL illuminates); All conditions, below, must be met.

Step 1: The change of fuel tank pressure is 0.2 kPa (1 mmHg, 0.07 in.Hg) or less.

Step 2: The change of fuel tank pressure is 0.2 kPa (1 mmHg, 0.07 in.Hg) or less. Or the difference between maximum and minimum value is 0.7 kPa (5 mmHg, 0.2 in.Hg) - 3 kPa (22 mmHg, 0.8 in.Hg).***

Step 3: The change of fuel tank pressure is 0.8 kPa (6 mmHg, 0.3 in.Hg) - 0.9 kPa (6 mmHg, 0.2 in.Hg).****
*** : Depending on initial engine coolant temperature and elapsed time period.
**** : Depending on initial engine coolant temperature.

Driving Pattern

1. Start the engine at an engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature as specified under Enable Conditions, and let it idle until the radiator fan comes on.

2. Drive the vehicle immediately at a speed between 25 - 75 mph at least 6 miles (10 km).

• If you have difficulty duplicating the DTC, retest after turning off electrical components such as the audio system and A/C, and try a different gear position.

• Drive the vehicle in this manner only if the traffic regulations and ambient conditions allow.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 AM
rjp

Good detective work. Where did you find this?

Question: What is the source of pressure change (pos/neg) in Steps 1,2,3?
i.e., what is the reason the pressure would change in the first 20 seconds? In the next interval?, etc. My guess is the pressure or vacuum is specifically applied to the tank by the system rather than just random fluctuations.

In my 1456 case, my ORVR valve was leaking. The tank side would hold vacuum but not pressure and this caused the MIL for 1456. There is a check valve in the ORVR that uses a small steel ball and spring. Under vacuum it was held closed, but under pressure it was not, and the leak was in the plastic housing containing the ball so this was not detectable under vacuum. I repaired the leak using epoxy.

rjp,

This is what I have learned, thus far, about the evaporative emission (EVAP) control system checks, and what conditions must be met to get DTC P1456 light to come on (i.e. "Tank Side" leak).

General Description

The evaporative emission (EVAP) control system stores fuel vapor from the fuel tank in the EVAP canister temporarily to prevent it from escaping to the atmosphere and to enable it to be drawn into the engine by intake manifold vacuum and burned. In addition, the onboard refueling vapor recovery system (ORVR) stores fuel vapor generated when fueling in the EVAP canister. The EVAP control system leak detection method improves the accuracy and frequency of the detection by determining faulty components and vapor leakage for each part.

The EVAP control system (from the purge valve to the fuel tank) is divided into two parts. One is the "EVAP Canister Side" (from the EVAP two way valve to the purge valve) with DTC P1457, and the other is the "Tank Side" (from the EVAP two way valve to the fuel tank) with DTC P1456. Each side uses different detection principles and methods. The tank side 0.04 inch (Hg) leak (DTC P1456) detection procedures have been modified since the ‘98 model year, and the same detection method is used in the first drive cycle and the second drive cycle.

• Three steps are performed for leak detection during a valid drive cycle (DTC P1456).

Step 1: Start the engine from the specified engine coolant and intake air temperature. Compare the output value from the fuel tank pressure sensor right after start-up with the one after 20 seconds have elapsed. If there is a change between them, the tank side is (OK) considered free of leaks. Otherwise, go to Step 2.

Step 2: Monitor the changes of absolute pressure in the fuel tank for a specified time period after starting the engine. If it changes by a specified value toward negative pressure, or the difference between the maximum and minimum absolute pressure in the fuel tank is large, it is interpreted as no leakage in the tank side and the detection is complete. Otherwise, go to the next Step 3.

Step 3: If the difference between the absolute pressures in the fuel tank right after the specified time period has elapsed and after a while is small, it is interpreted as leakage in the “Tank Side”. If it is in the first drive cycle, a temporary DTC is stored. If it is in the second drive cycle, a DTC is stored, the MIL illuminates, and the detection is complete.

Malfunction Threshold (MIL illuminates); All conditions, below, must be met.

Step 1: The change of fuel tank pressure is 0.2 kPa (1 mmHg, 0.07 in.Hg) or less.

Step 2: The change of fuel tank pressure is 0.2 kPa (1 mmHg, 0.07 in.Hg) or less. Or the difference between maximum and minimum value is 0.7 kPa (5 mmHg, 0.2 in.Hg) - 3 kPa (22 mmHg, 0.8 in.Hg).***

Step 3: The change of fuel tank pressure is 0.8 kPa (6 mmHg, 0.3 in.Hg) - 0.9 kPa (6 mmHg, 0.2 in.Hg).****
*** : Depending on initial engine coolant temperature and elapsed time period.
**** : Depending on initial engine coolant temperature.

Driving Pattern

1. Start the engine at an engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature as specified under Enable Conditions, and let it idle until the radiator fan comes on.

2. Drive the vehicle immediately at a speed between 25 - 75 mph at least 6 miles (10 km).

• If you have difficulty duplicating the DTC, retest after turning off electrical components such as the audio system and A/C, and try a different gear position.

• Drive the vehicle in this manner only if the traffic regulations and ambient conditions allow.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rjp, this info was provided five years ago by someone, with whom I have tried, in vain, to get in touch recently. He has disappeared since.

I can only guess the answer on your question ("What is the source of pressure change (pos/neg) in Steps 1,2,3?"). I am sure the tank cannot be externally pressurized; there is no pressure source hooked to the system, however, the tank can get vacuum from the engine via the purge valve and by drawing fuel from it (emptying it) when running the engine.

The tank pressure can increase ONLY through fuel vaporization (always present in the tank). All that stuff (Steps 1, 2, 3), while physically making sense, I believe, is too capricious to control. In my opinion Honda engineers were too ambitious in designing the control system so precisely; attempting to control the tank (system) pressure within several mmHg is practically unreasonable, it has no margin for error; it does work when all is new, but it is not rugged enough for the long run.

For example, sometimes I get DTC P1456 in less than 45 miles of driving (after clearing the codes with a scanner), another times I would empty a full tank driving (over 300 miles) without the code light coming on (while the I/M Readiness Monitors have cleared OK after about 55 miles of driving, which is normal). Fortunately, all this is only a hog-wash; it does not have anything to do with running the engine or its performance, but it is an unnecessary complication (passing the EPA mandated state DMV inspection...), thanks to the genius of Honda engineers(?!).

I still would like to understand (physics of) the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation, as I have stated originally above.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
rjp

I would also like to hear an explanation of the physics, but it's probably going to be hard to come by.

In case you don't already know. I did read that the EVAP test only runs after the car has been sitting for at least 6 hours, and then only at a highway speed with minimal throttle change over a period of time. The idea being to choose a period of minimal fuel slosh. It does not re-run on every short trip. Then, as you indicated, it must fail two times before the MIL is illuminated. One could probably drive for weeks without meeting these conditions and think their problem is solved, when really the test hasn't completed yet.

rjp, this info was provided five years ago by someone, with whom I have tried, in vain, to get in touch recently. He has disappeared since.

I can only guess the answer on your question ("What is the source of pressure change (pos/neg) in Steps 1,2,3?"). I am sure the tank cannot be externally pressurized; there is no pressure source hooked to the system, however, the tank can get vacuum from the engine via the purge valve and by drawing fuel from it (emptying it) when running the engine.

The tank pressure can increase ONLY through fuel vaporization (always present in the tank). All that stuff (Steps 1, 2, 3), while physically making sense, I believe, is too capricious to control. In my opinion Honda engineers were too ambitious in designing the control system so precisely; attempting to control the tank (system) pressure within several mmHg is practically unreasonable, it has no margin for error; it does work when all is new, but it is not rugged enough for the long run.

For example, sometimes I get DTC P1456 in less than 45 miles of driving (after clearing the codes with a scanner), another times I would empty a full tank driving (over 300 miles) without the code light coming on (while the I/M Readiness Monitors have cleared OK after about 55 miles of driving, which is normal). Fortunately, all this is only a hog-wash; it does not have anything to do with running the engine or its performance, but it is an unnecessary complication (passing the EPA mandated state DMV inspection...), thanks to the genius of Honda engineers(?!).

I still would like to understand (physics of) the EVAP Emission Control System detection principles and operation, as I have stated originally above.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rjp,

You have missed, that "...another times I would empty a full tank driving (over 300 miles) without the code light coming on (while the I/M Readiness Monitors have cleared OK after about 55 miles of driving, which is normal)".

The operative wording here is "the I/M Readiness Monitors have cleared OK"; this means conclusively that the test must have been completed, otherwise the I/M Readiness Monitors cannot show an OK status (DTC light off).
Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm resurrecting this old thread! My car (98 Accord LX 2.3 auto) has also had the P1456 for several months (off and on). I've started cranking the gas cap when I fill it up, and it doesn't seem to help. Again, it's hard to tell because the CEL gets tripped very intermittently.

My post has to do with another symptom of my car:
1) Rough start - when I start the car while parked on any kind of incline with the front end pointed up-hill, it sputters and idles rough until I give it gas.
2) Slow coolant leak - no visible trace (need to pressure test it soon).
3) Occasional misfire on one or two cylinders (P0300 and P0302 w/ P1399)

My friend, who is was a Honda mechanic told me to check a few things, none of which have helped so far:
1) Head gasket - pressure tested cylinders and checked for oil in coolant
2) Replace IACV - possible leak of coolant into cylinders causing misfire
3) New spark plugs and wires
4) Cleaned throttle intake
5) New dizzy cap and rotor (haven't done yet)

Could the rough start/misfires be attributed to one of the valves being stuck (either purge valve or two way)? It seems like a stuck valve could cause insufficient fuel pressure on startup.

Help!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am glad that I am not the only one having a problem with the intermittency of the P1456 DTC. First, see my 12/20/2009 input (#18 - this thread, below).

If the gas tank cap is OK, only three clicks will seal the o-ring gasket on it to the tank. Cranking it more after three clicks is irrelevant; the important devices inside the cap are two valves (for setting boundaries of a positive and negative tank pressure by venting it to the ambient, which, normally, do not come into play if the system operates properly).

Here I will repeat my previous belief, that Honda engineers were too ambitious in designing this (code P1456 DTC) control system so precisely; attempting to control the tank (system) pressure within several mmHg is practically unreasonable, it has no margin for error; it does work when all is new, but it is not rugged enough for the long run...

For example, currently, (in my 2001 Accord) I get DTC P1456 sometimes in less than 45 miles of driving (after clearing the codes with a scanner). Another times I would empty a full tank driving (over 300 miles) without the code light coming on (while the I/M Readiness Monitors have cleared OK after about 55 miles of driving, which is normal). Yet, infrequently, I would drive over 2000 miles before the P1456 DTC lights up again!? An on/off pin-hole in the gas tank could be the culprit, who knows. Fortunately, all this is only a hog-wash; it does not have anything to do with running the engine or its performance, but it is an unnecessary complication (passing the EPA mandated state DMV inspection...), thanks to the genius of Honda engineers.

As far as your other problems, a "slow coolant leak" with no visible trace indicates possible small head gasket leak allowing burned gas (fumes) leakage into the coolant, evaporating it when running the engine, and venting into the ambient via the radiator cap. Conversely, leaked coolant into (some) cylinders when not running the engine ("while parked on any kind of incline") may also cause a rough start or occasional misfire, but will evaporate quickly after starting (and running) the engine; the fumes now leak into the coolant, evaporating it, etc...

Open the radiator cap and carefully watch for small bubbles into the coolant while the engine is running and hot. Cylinder pressure testing is a dynamic test and will not show a small head gasket leak. On the other hand, a cooling system pressure test with running engine and shut off radiator cap (no venting allowed) will show a cooling system pressure build-up (be careful not to allow the pressure build-up above 18-20 psig!) if fumes leak through the head gasket into the cooling system.

Good luck! -- tabacka --
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't "thank" Honda engineers. They were dealing with legislated mandates. "Thank" your law makers.

Quick Reply: P1456 DTC is sure difficult to solve!