Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noise from tranny

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from tranny

I have a 93 cx hatch. Theres a noise coming from my tranny when the clutch isn't depressed. It makes some type of grinding noise you can say. But when you press the clutch in the noise goes away. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Flywheel, tob?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noise from tranny

input shaft bearing or main shaft bearing. is normal for these transmissions bearing to make noise when old.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Input shaft bearing. Mine does it too. New bearing and seal $35 from majestichonda.com Have to pull tranny apart to repair. Just type civic input shaft bearing replacement in google there are some write ups
Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem with my 97 cx hatch. i just bought a tranny from a friend. i don't now how to mess with transmissions. way too many parts. i rather do engine internal work.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replacing the ISB isn't bad. More work in removing the tranny than replacing the bearing.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change out your throw out bearing and you should be set. while you're at it, you might as will change your pilot bearing too. good luck with it!!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lyricaljdmEg6
change out your throw out bearing and you should be set. while you're at it, you might as will change your pilot bearing too. good luck with it!!
No, no it won't. Why don't you try reading we already told him the problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
No, no it won't. Why don't you try reading we already told him the problem.

oppss. sorry about that, i guess my computer must had loaded up a little slow to catch that. btw, i had the same issue and i did what i posted and it works, but yours might be something else, good luck again.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No you didn't. Clutch pedal down and noise is tob, clutch pedal up and noise is isb. I guarantee if you had noise when your pedal was up you didn't fix it with a new tob.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No you didn't. Clutch pedal down and noise is tob, clutch pedal up and noise is isb. I guarantee if you had noise when your pedal was up you didn't fix it with a new tob.
you know what?? don't take this personally because i don't have time to argue about it, but a good mechanic would keep his own remarks about other mechanic doing to himself rather than going at it. i personally work on and rebuild tranny as a side job for 11 years now, so i know what i am doing. if you would've read my comment above, i clearly stated that it works for me and it might be something else for him, and ending it again with good luck. you might be right , you might be wrong about it. what ever noise OP tranny is making maybe what we think it is or maybe not. but as far as i know, when the pedal is up, the loud grinding noise will most likely be the tob. and when the pedal is press down, the noise should either be gone or not as loud. but again, you could be right, i could be right, or we both can be wrong about it. but let OP do his thing, it can be numerous things, so get over it. and your guaranteed about my noise is wrong, i change out the tob and it worked great, but again, yours and OP tranny issue could be something else. so please, don't take this personally but take it as a advice as to i will take your above comment as a advice too. lets get over it.

OP: just do what ever seems right to you, no-one here can really tell you what the problem is with-out seeing the car. but what i had posted above is from my past experiment. hope you figure it out.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

but as far as i know, when the pedal is up, the loud grinding noise will most likely be the tob. and when the pedal is press down, the noise should either be gone or not as loud.
I mean no disrespect, but the reverse of the above statement is generally accepted as the way to distinguish a bad throw out bearing (clutch) from a bad input shaft bearing (transmission).
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know what?? don't take this personally because i don't have time to argue about it, but a good mechanic would keep his own remarks about other mechanic doing to himself rather than going at it. i personally work on and rebuild tranny as a side job for 11 years now, so i know what i am doing. if you would've read my comment above, i clearly stated that it works for me and it might be something else for him, and ending it again with good luck. you might be right , you might be wrong about it. what ever noise OP tranny is making maybe what we think it is or maybe not. but as far as i know, when the pedal is up, the loud grinding noise will most likely be the tob. and when the pedal is press down, the noise should either be gone or not as loud. but again, you could be right, i could be right, or we both can be wrong about it. but let OP do his thing, it can be numerous things, so get over it. and your guaranteed about my noise is wrong, i change out the tob and it worked great, but again, yours and OP tranny issue could be something else. so please, don't take this personally but take it as a advice as to i will take your above comment as a advice too. lets get over it.

OP: just do what ever seems right to you, no-one here can really tell you what the problem is with-out seeing the car. but what i had posted above is from my past experiment. hope you figure it out.

I do mean this in complete disrespect, you're an idiot. Way to down and out lie. No one who works on transmission would EVER mistake a ISB for a TOB. It is the exact opposite. I can 100% guarantee if your transmission was making noise with the pedal up it WAS NOT THE TOB. You are full of **** and spreading wrong information. There is no reason for him to waste $40 on a TOB just to find out that's not it because you like to spew crap out your mouth.

Do you even know how a TOB works? If you do you would know it is IMPOSSIBLE to be making a noise when the pedal is up. I hate being an *** to people, but when they talk crap when they are obviously wrong it just pisses me off. You are the type that cause people needless money and confuse people that are searching to diagnose their problems.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do mean this in complete disrespect, you're an idiot. Way to down and out lie. No one who works on transmission would EVER mistake a ISB for a TOB. It is the exact opposite. I can 100% guarantee if your transmission was making noise with the pedal up it WAS NOT THE TOB. You are full of **** and spreading wrong information. There is no reason for him to waste $40 on a TOB just to find out that's not it because you like to spew crap out your mouth.

Do you even know how a TOB works? If you do you would know it is IMPOSSIBLE to be making a noise when the pedal is up. I hate being an *** to people, but when they talk crap when they are obviously wrong it just pisses me off. You are the type that cause people needless money and confuse people that are searching to diagnose their problems.
vouch.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I grew up in the muscle car era, although I did not have one(my toys were 63 and 65 Impala 2 dr. hardtops) and on a Chevy, the noise with the clutch IN, was TOB!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throw out bearing..

Mine is going out too, the noise is SO FCUCKING ANNOYING!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bad Brian
I grew up in the muscle car era, although I did not have one(my toys were 63 and 65 Impala 2 dr. hardtops) and on a Chevy, the noise with the clutch IN, was TOB!
I just read my Haynes, Honda TOB is called the CRB!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ay bro i have the same ****in problem when the cluth pedal is up there is this ****in loud annoying grinding sound and you could hear it on my 1st 2nd and 3rd gears when im driving... and when i step on the cluth pedal the noise is gone... i replaced my clutch and the throw out bearing and it still does that lame noise... im just gonna get a new tranny
Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9.3.S.I.L.U.D.E.
ay bro i have the same ****in problem when the cluth pedal is up there is this ****in loud annoying grinding sound and you could hear it on my 1st 2nd and 3rd gears when im driving... and when i step on the cluth pedal the noise is gone... i replaced my clutch and the throw out bearing and it still does that lame noise... im just gonna get a new tranny
did u try the isb
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope i did not...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9.3.S.I.L.U.D.E.
nope i did not...
its the isbi need to do mine aswell.

im soon gonna make a detailed post about this and how to diy
Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yo i got a question what will happen if you keep driving your car like that????