Notices

how can i get more hp with out boost??

Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i get more hp with out boost??

hey guys i got a 1988 honda crx si it is my baby it has a a zc sohc in it i wahnna make it push as much as i can with out useing boost or going to a dohc it already has a full cat-back and testpipe,headers.cold air intake any tips or advice would be very appreciated
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: how can i get more hp with out boost??

NNNNNNAAAAAAWWWWWWSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could do head work (port and polish), higher compression pistons, and/or nitrous. But honestly, for what you spend on trying to gain power without forced induction, you could have easily put together a nice turbo kit and made much more power than you could make naturally aspirated.

However, this is your car and you can do whatever you want to it. Bottom line, you are the one that will be paying for these mods, not us.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build the single cam.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
New User

ye ur right for it would be just as good to put the money in the turbo i would get more out of it got any good websites to buy turbos from?? seems like all ebay has is crap i jus want to show people that a 4cyl can out run a v8 which we have done proven it its jus so fun killing a v8 and the expression on there face lol any way thx for the help guys
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ watch it, your pushing the line on streetracing and its not allowed in this forum,
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joshdale2000
ye ur right for it would be just as good to put the money in the turbo i would get more out of it got any good websites to buy turbos from?? seems like all ebay has is crap i jus want to show people that a 4cyl can out run a v8 which we have done proven it its jus so fun killing a v8 and the expression on there face lol any way thx for the help guys
Dont talk like that about ebay turbo kits i ran one an it is not that bad sure it helps if u can weld but it works. Sure beat the home made turbo kit that my buddy had.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are thinking about turboing it you might just be better off putting in a B series, then later on down the road putting a turbo on it! It would be the same price or cheaper and more reliable in the long run. I have seen stock b18c1 put out 375+ whp with a good turbo kit on pump gas
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why spend the extra cash going B series if he has a perfectly D series to work with, why not. It will cost 1/2 as much to build the D than the B. You can make a nice home made kit for your D (HF Mani, Adapter plate, etc) and smoke an NA B series for what it would cost to swap the B series in as well.

The B series bandwagon is not for everyone.

SpeedFactory is putting down 609whp/404tq @ 30psi on a D series with Stock Sleeves (no blockguard, etc), ported D16Y8 head, 75mm Vitara pistons, FJT custom length rods.

They have about 425 bucks in the Vitara/FJT rods. Atleast you can get the pistons, rings, and rods for I believe 425 on FJT distributors.

EDIT: It also depends on what the OP is building the car for. Road Race, Drag Race, Weekend Warrior etc. How much HP are you looking to get OP?

Last edited by dephtone; 08-13-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can probably gain a few ponies with a proper tune....fuel pressure/timing etc....good luck
Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by mayfly
^^^ watch it, your pushing the line on streetracing and its not allowed in this forum,

he just said he wants to beat an v8 it doesnt say **** about street racing
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What's your budget and what is your ultimate power goal?
Going all motor isn't going to give you the big numbers like boost does at the same price.

If you are serious about a turbo kit - again - what is your budget?
With a tight budget you get an ebay kit then it will give you a decent foundation to build from.
At the least you will have all the piping and from there you should plan to upgrade components as your budget allows.
DO factor in $ for a tune and DON'T cheap out and rely on a 'base map' that could seriously ruin your engine.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
New User

realy dont have a budget im gonna save up for it jus wandering what the cheapest website would be for a ok turbo
Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check in the market place, sometimes you can find 14b turbos off 90-94 talon/eclipse/laser for pretty cheap and then all you would need is a HF manifold with a t25 flange adapter. If you want some help, shoot me a PM I would help you out.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Name:  abcd 006.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  abcd 008.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  50.9 KB

I have a DSM turbo , I think its a t25 or a 14b it came off a DSM but it dont look like a 14b looks a lil bigger. but it has a t25 flange

its in great shape , 185 shipped.

let me know. I have it on CL but no luck yet...

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pts/1316634942.html
Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/------
http://www.d-series.org/-----------------------------

those two site thought me a lot about them turbos

remove --------
Old 08-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Since there is no budget, what is your power goal?
Consider an off the shelf turbo kit is going to give you something like 190hp and makes for an easy upgrade to your stock engine.
But is that really where it ends?

Maybe you want to start there and then look towards 300hp?
Of course you will need a bigger turbo to get you there.
Which is going to need the appropriate manifold and piping.

once you break into the low 200's you NEED to start upgrading engine internals. Stock rods are only reliable for about 220hp. The pistons should be replaced at the same time. Might as well mod the oil pump while you are in there.
You will also be looking into a cam, springs, porting, etc...
Totally can not forget about tuning and engine management.

It all starts adding up - so - what is your goal?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mayfly
come on now...not one word was even mentioned about the street..for all you know its all track talk...get your panties out of a bunch hes just trying to make a point
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

let me know if you or anyone for that matter wants that turbo. I have no use for it my mani only supports a bigger turbo. LMK (not threadjacking , if you are interested please PM me and don't ruin this mans thread.)
Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Just run a reasonable shot of nitrous. You'll have a great boost of power when you need it and still keep the reliability of the stock everything else. I'd recommend installing just regular copper core spark plugs though. Platinums are a little too soft for N20 and will blow apart quicker. The copper plugs hold up a little better and are cheaper to replace. You'll want to throw a new set in every 3 or 4 bottles of juice.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:16 PM

If you wana go high comp. I have some p29 pistons and eagle forged rods that i would sell to you for 350. Never used
Old 08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Touching My Member

Bottle feed that D. Get a good NX wet kit and call it a day. I love me some NNAAWWZZZ
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to do simple bolt on mods then here is a few little things u can do to sqeeze just a little more.......lightweight flywheel.......stronger crank shaft.....change to eridium plugs and fat wires.......msd ignition.......and get rid of the distributor and go coil pack......NAS lol........Venum intake manifold with throttle body....high comp pistons whitch you have to upgrade rods and gaskets and gas and exc.. head work
sorry about spelling did this really really fast
Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 PM

unless you do severe lower block work, you're not gonna get anywhere without boost... run a turbo kit on about 5-9 lbs with a y8 head swap and a new skunk2 or blox intake mainfold. don't forget the p28 ecu either. You'll also need the z6 timing belt and y8 head gasket, stock injectors work with the swap... if you attack craigslist, you should be able to find the head, and i'd buy the intake manifold and ecu brand new off ebay. this uplink should save lives 4 ya...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-d15-sohc-vtec-mini-me-massive-write-up-56k-goodbye-554053/

Good luck with the project, it's what i've done on mine, cuz everyone wants to do a dohc swap, but the sohc has some hidden power if you know what you're doin... i've got a few other tricks up my sleeve for your motor 2, so light me up if you wanna know more.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are so many opinions over this discussion. B or D? facts are they can both make a tone of power. bolt on for bolt on, upgrade for upgrade, mod for mod (no $ range) a B will destroy a D any day. B's are a more superior engine compared to the D. come on now dohc vs sohc. its proven that honda made the B series better than the D. No civics had Bs. (except the newest SI) Only Acura. the B is faster just stock let alone building. that says enough.

now yes yes it all depends on the car and weight and driver etc. but i am talking considering everything is the closest, most similar odds as can be.

Im just making the point the B is made better than the D.

Now do i love D? HELL YES! D FTW! OP get a y8 or a z6 and build/turbo the hell out of it. why not? and youll be saving a bit of money!!

Now as for me. I have a 93 si totally stock. I want to pull the z6 and get a b18c1. eventually turbo it stock for a while then rebuild down the road. I can put back in the z6 at any time and be back to basics. Then I can build the D all i want. have the B on the side for another ride. Its just where u want to put your money and and what kind of power you want. Civics dont have Bs & their one of the most superior honda engines that was made to this day. PROVEN. & that is why so many ppl want them. So you choose...

Go D in your Ef FTW!

Last edited by OXY95LSSC; 08-16-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: EDIT-SI had a Bseries