Notices

in need of odd swap help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of odd swap help

Hello, I have been lurking in the forums for awhile now just reading up on things, waiting untill i finally found an EF to purchase before becoming a member of the site. I got a strait bodied 9 civic hatch with rebuild D15 from an older gentelman who just wanted it gone for 100$. Ok anyways now to my problem. I havea buddy who wants to get rid of his D16Z6 because he cant afford to keep pulling it out to fix his problems with it. This is the exact engine i want and i have read up on swapping it into my chassis. Now here is the kicker. He will trade strait across for my D15 if i pull them both and put it in his. Now to my understanding the mounting points are exactly the same and his tranny should bolt right up to my D15. We will be swapping ECUs as well as his is chipped and tuned for his engine. My question is how do i go about wiring up my OBD-0 D15 into his 93 hatch. Please help guys i have my heart set on this deal.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Re: in need of odd swap help

You will need to do the relatively straightforward DPFI to MPFI swap. You will need to add an injector resistor box.

You'll need to add two crankshaft position sensor (CKP) wires from C1 and C2 on the ECU plug to the plug on the distributor, then add two wires from A1 and A7 to the two new injectors.

Follow good wiring practice, and wire in a four-pin quick disconnect under the hood so you can pull the engine if you must.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try the EG section or better yet look through the EG sections faqs.

btw whats the problem with your friends motor? sounds like trouble for you too. Dont forget D-series motors are a dime a dozen.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well he cant use your obd0 ecu because no one makes jumpers to backconvert from obd1 to obd0. that being said he will have to heep his p28 z6 ecu. because he cant use the obd0 ecu that also means he will need to retain his z6 distributor. even if you wire it all up perfectly i cant tell you how well a p28 vtec computer is going to like running a non-vtec d15. obviously you will now need to buy a p28 and z6 obd1 distributor for your car, and you still don't know what kind of problems you will have with this engine once its installed. as much as you'd like this to work i just don't think it's going to be worth the hassle.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

his rear main seal is bad thats all thats actually wrong with it. If i i pull each engine harness all the way out, as in all the way back to the ECU then swap the entire engine harness's for both along with the ecus, do you think it has a chance of working. Im also getting a D16Z6 from another guy with a seized piston for 50 bucks to use as parts. Also like to add my civic is not my DD i have a 91 lude i use as my DD so time is really no problem.

Last edited by zsoccerdude17; 08-28-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: added a comment
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No you can't use your engine harness for his car, it won't even be close to plugging in.

As D16SiHatch said, for you to put the motor into his car, you or he will need to purchase a d15b7 (92-95 dx,lx) distributor and ECU for the same car for his to run properly with your old motor in it.

You will need to keep your engine harness as it's easier to convert the harness to MPFI and convert to obd1 so you can run the z6 dizzy along with the p28 ECU.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I think i have came to the conclusion that this is just not going to work. So i think Im just going to purchase a D16 somewhere else. I pulled my D15 last night and i think i will start a build thread on my civic (i think thats ok here?) and hopefully get some input from you knowledgable folks here. It will be my first swap so that why i was leaning towards the D16 because from what i have read i beleive it to be the easiest to swap onto my chassis. Suggestions/input/links welcome and appreciated.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sense you have the time, i would sell your d15 and tranny, and find a ls or b16.. that will be real noticable power. and finding a d16a6(si motor) thats in good shape will be kinda hard without a million miles
Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much more in depth is the B16 versus the D16 swap. Do they mount the same and if i remember right the B16 is still OBD1 so it will work with a p28 and t he whole DPFI to MPFI swap would still be the same. Correct.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the b16 comes in both obd0 and obd1, i just put one in my 89si, and you need mounts,shift linkage and axles. the mounts are custom i got mine from ebay for 200, the linkage just get a integra 90-93 and cut it, the axles also 90-93 teg and the wiring is the same except you need 4 wires, for knock sensor,v-tec,and the o2 sensor.really its not that hard and a integra ls engine is exactly the same minus the v-tec wires
Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, better yet man this is the main guide i followed for my swap, its a crx but its all the same ef.
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=173
Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure how expercianced you are..but i feel i can do anything with the correct tools..now when i did my ls swap...still in the proccess due to funds..i noticed i had a lot to learn it wasnt as easy as all my friends said it was...ya once you do it a time or two its fairly simple..a b series swap is alot more expensive. doin the swap from a dual piont to multi i think would be the same i would do obdo to obd1 on any swap and def a five gear swap .. basicly im doing a ls wich is rated at what 130 hp to the crank???the z6 is what 127?? i think thats close ya theres alot more support for the bs but honestly i wish i would have stuck with the d series till i had more money to play with i had a z6 head and itraded it after i bought the b it would have been way cheaper to keep the d instead of the b for that extra 5 to ten hp..if your gonna go ***** to the wall get a b16 or gsr but all im sayin is bang for your buck z6 or y8 mini me with si tranny of course..big wallet b16 b18..because you do have to buy mounts shift linkage axles harness, in some cases injectors ecu, ecu sub harness and dizzy jumper harness ...idk lol sorry just a little frustrated with how mines progressing hope im helpin tho
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is true, but i kept mine obd0 because it is easier as the car is obd0... and i had alot of dd problems with my swap, i was missing alot of wires and plugs, i needed a ecu and dizzy..and now im swapping the tranny out. oh and my cam seals leaked, my crank pully was missing.. lol i had alot of problems and still finishing it up
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Word well thanks for the input guys being as its not my DD i can save up as needed. So i think ill be doing the B16 swap as well as doing a small restore/custom goodness with my civic. I already have a bunch of pictures so ill get a build thread started tomorrow sometime. I was looking at the ebay mounts and wondering how the quality was. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a problem with ebay mounts after i paid for them two weeks later he tells me they are back orderd and had two wait two more weeks for him to tell me its gonna be longer i said i want my money and went strait to innovative them selves and had them in less than a week for an extra ten dollars more than ebay price