Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Penfold
Honda-Tech Member
1984 AM General H1

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default A Religion that prohibits working on friday and saturday nights, hmmm smells racist

Despite the fact that my wife spent her entire youth thinking the phrase 'bullshit', was 'bowl of ****' (lol @ asian immigrants) she is now a manager at a high end retail store.

The other day my wife was conduction an interview for an assistant management at her store, and the applicant claimed that her religion prohibits her from working any friday or saturday nights. She makes a note of it, and runs it up the chain to her district manager because they want to make sure that they are not hiring someone simply because of religion. Both my wife and her higher ups agree that this just sounds like an excuse to never have to work friday or saturday nights.

Now, normally when someone is applying for an assistant manager position they have to meet with the store manager (my wife) and the area manager, even if they know they aren't going to hire them. Normally the area manager is the one who gives the prospective manager the bad news that they won't be getting hired, but this time the area manager insisted my wife does the dirty deed. Why? Because the young women applying for the job is black, and every other employee including the area manager is white. The one exception being my wife, who is Asian.

The company feels that if the bad news comes from another minority there is a less of a chance of allegations of racism, especially after this whole Harvard professor deal.

Question 1) Does this religion actually exist? I know some black people call themselves Israelites, but i do not know how it different from Judaism

Question 2) Should my wife be upset that they are using her race as an angle?
Penfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
NirVTEC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: A Religion that prohibits working on friday and saturday nights, hmmm smells raci

Well, Sabbath/Shabbat is Friday sunset to saturday sunset......She's probably Orthodox or Hasidic Jewish. Us reformed guys don't follow that crap.....

Shabbat (Hebrew: שַׁבָּת, shabbāt; Yiddish שאבעס, shabbos; "rest" or "cessation") is the seventh day of the Jewish week and a day of rest in Judaism. Shabbat is observed from sundown Friday until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. The exact time, therefore, differs from week to week and from place to place, depending on the time of sunset at each location.

Last edited by NirVTEC; 07-29-2009 at 03:35 PM.
NirVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Penfold
Honda-Tech Member
1984 AM General H1

Default Re: A Religion that prohibits working on friday and saturday nights, hmmm smells raci

damn!
Penfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
cletus
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I understand why the company is scared, but why not just tell her "We decided to choose another candidate" and not even make it about the religion?

It sucks that your wife has to do it......
cletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
pho iz good
Party Pooper
Garage is empty, add now

looks like i chose the wrong religion
pho iz good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
b20sedan
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S
Garage is empty, add now

Applicant is full of sh*t! ...and no, wife should not be pissed.
RIP Paul Walker.
b20sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
NirVTEC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
I understand why the company is scared, but why not just tell her "We decided to choose another candidate" and not even make it about the religion?

its one of those tough things......I agree if you want to be treated equally, you have to perform equally. i.e. Equal availability

All you should really have to tell her is that you need someone Friday/Saturday night. She SHOULD understand and I have to guess that it won't be the 1st time she's heard it.
Usually these women don't work and their husbands maintain regular M-F 9-5 jobs that fits perfectly with their religion.
I am Jewish, and DON'T think ANY special accomodations should be made for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20sedan View Post
Applicant is full of sh*t! ...and no, wife should not be pissed.
DUDE.......STFU and don't comment on things you don't know about!
You take it up the butt w/o lube or enema & love it!.....yet I don't even know you!...
READ MY 1ST reply DUMBASS!!!

Black and Jewish.......WOW.....The amount of discrimination she has faced must be horrible.
Maybe she's related to Sammy Davis Jr.

Last edited by NirVTEC; 07-29-2009 at 03:42 PM.
NirVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Dogginator
Daisy... Daisy...
1997 Acura Integra

If you wife did not ask the question and the applicant offered the information it is not illegal. If the position requires Friday and Saturday nights, the candidate excluded herself. (Disclaimer: I know nothing of labor laws.)
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
NirVTEC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogginator View Post
If you wife did not ask the question and the applicant offered the information it is not illegal. If the position requires Friday and Saturday nights, the candidate excluded herself. (Disclaimer: I know nothing of labor laws.)
Well, I am VERY familiar with our local Chicago Jewish Population[90% white/10% Middle Eastern Looking], but honestly, turning a Black Jewish Woman from a job would scare the **** out of me....
Be sure its documented that SHE STATED NOT BEING ABLE TO WORK FRIDAY thru SATURDAY night and the position required it.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
b20sedan
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirVTEC View Post
Well, Sabbath/Shabbat is Friday sunset to saturday sunset......She's probably Orthodox or Hasidic Jewish. Us reformed guys don't follow that crap.....

Shabbat (Hebrew: שַׁבָּת, shabbāt; Yiddish שאבעס, shabbos; "rest" or "cessation") is the seventh day of the Jewish week and a day of rest in Judaism. Shabbat is observed from sundown Friday until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. The exact time, therefore, differs from week to week and from place to place, depending on the time of sunset at each location.
Quote:
DUDE.......STFU and don't comment on things you don't know about!
You take it up the butt w/o lube or enema & love it!.....yet I don't even know you!...
READ MY 1ST reply DUMBASS!!!

Black and Jewish.......WOW.....The amount of discrimination she has faced must be horrible.
Maybe she's related to Sammy Davis Jr.
According to you, the Shabbat is Friday sunset through Saturday sunset…the OP said the applicant said she can’t work Friday or Saturday NIGHTS, from that comment it seems that the applicant would not have a problem working Friday or Saturday Morning and if it’s really for Religious purposes she really can’t work Saturday morning if she does it seems she’s just trying to get out of working nights…

Click the image to open in full size.
RIP Paul Walker.

Last edited by b20sedan; 07-29-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Splat
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post

Because the applicant could sue them without a documented reason for denial that DOESN'T include anything that can be centered on her religion (the Friday/Saturday night thing).

If wife/boss can find other reasons the applicant is not qualified, document *everything* and move on.

I believe she's going down,
I believe we're gonna die die die!
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Kyle is raaddd
Ra-ta-ta-tat dat GDD
Garage is empty, add now

Sometimes when I'm driving my G35, I turn off the radio and listen to the exhaust. On those days, I pop my collar extra hard so those who are deaf & waiting at the bus stop can visually see how hard my **** is.
Kyle is raaddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
trancedroller
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to trancedroller

A religion that gets paid for doing no work? I need one.

"If the standby light is on, does that mean it's on standby?"
trancedroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
mar778c
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

OP, after reading your post twice. Your wife's companies upper managment is stupid. They seem to be devoting way too much energy and time to a 5 min topic. How someone could relate this nonsense to Gates is ridiculous and an amazing reach.

Scared to not hire someone because they are black and jewish is *********, seriously.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
b20sedan
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
thats nice you punk *** bitch........be original with your insults.

RIP Paul Walker.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
NirVTEC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:

Thats nice......keep it up.
Racism alive and well among the ignorant white-trash of H-T.com
We survived 5,000yrs of persecution and the Holocaust.....WTF have your people done?
I'm done....going to let the Mods deal with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedroller View Post
A religion that gets paid for doing no work? I need one.
We're some of the hardest workers in the world......STFU man.

These replies STINK of jealousy..........
Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
GoodEyeSniper
86%
Garage is empty, add now

Walter Sobchak: I told those ****s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

Donny: What's Shabbos?

Walter Sobchak: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't ****ing ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as ****
[shouts]
Walter Sobchak: don't ****ing roll! Shomer shabbos!

The Dude: Walter...

Walter Sobchak: Shomer ****ing shabbos.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
cletus
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
Walter Sobchak: I told those ****s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

Donny: What's Shabbos?

Walter Sobchak: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't ****ing ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as ****
[shouts]
Walter Sobchak: don't ****ing roll! Shomer shabbos!

The Dude: Walter...

Walter Sobchak: Shomer ****ing shabbos.

HAHAHAHAHAHA This was actually the first thing that popped into my head when i read this thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Because the applicant could sue them without a documented reason for denial that DOESN'T include anything that can be centered on her religion (the Friday/Saturday night thing).

If wife/boss can find other reasons the applicant is not qualified, document *everything* and move on.
I do not understand how the applicant can sue, she does not meet the requirements of the job, they need some one to work those nights, if there is someone else that meets those requirements, hire them. Tell lady "we chose another applicant".

She needs to become a teacher and not try to wokr in retail if she wants fri and sat nights off....
cletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
b20sedan
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Thats nice......keep it up.
Racism alive and well among the ignorant white-trash of H-T.com
We survived 5,000yrs of persecution and the Holocaust.....WTF have your people done?
I'm done....going to let the Mods deal with you.

We're some of the hardest workers in the world......STFU man.

These replies STINK of jealousy..........
Once again, I said the applicant the OP was speaking of was full of it because from the details that he provided they would not specifically work Friday and Saturday NIGHT, yet there is no mention of them being opposed to working Saturday morning, they specifically said at NIGHT. It was not an attack on the applicant for being Jewish, rather for being inconsistent. Then you proceeded to insult me and I responded.

You paranoid, overly sensitive bitch, not everyone is out to get you and ďyour peopleĒ and nobodyís jealous of you and YOU havenít done ****. Let the mods come, you obviously canít think of anything logical to say.

And you quit messaging me this **** too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM From NirVTEC
yeahhhhh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're a real tough guy behind a monitor......
Obviously an undereducated ingorant ****.......
We are the CHOSEN PEOPLE......you are NOT!......stop your jealousy that we don't frequent the unemployment line like your white-trash family. The average Jew could probably buy your life with his spare change.
Thatís highly unlikely & Iím not white you bitter POS
RIP Paul Walker.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
NirVTEC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:

That’s highly unlikely & I’m not white you bitter POS
Dude....you're such a sissy.
So tell me, how is your family living off the gov't?
If I saw you in person, Id slap you in the face with my circumcized dick.....
I'm NOT bitter, rather set off by ignorance. You're obviously clueless.
Enjoy being a minority........

The OPs g/f obviously relayed the exact wording incorrectly.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
Drew Peacock
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

^

Drew Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #22
magikbean562
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to magikbean562 Send a message via AIM to magikbean562

just here to call nirvtec an idiot. end.
magikbean562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
rockcity
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Dude....you're such a sissy.
So tell me, how is your family living off the gov't?
If I saw you in person, Id slap you in the face with my circumcized dick.....
I'm NOT bitter, rather set off by ignorance. You're obviously clueless.
Enjoy being a minority........

The OPs g/f obviously relayed the exact wording incorrectly.
Man, I was wondering what happened to you. You were making fairly rational posts there for a few months, but now I see that you are back to being your same crazy, ignorant self. Remember that post you made where you said "I guarantee that I can beat the hell out of 99.9% of the members of GDD" ? That was a classic!!!
"Ma and pa can hold your hand; they can wipe your ***. They can buy you all the right brands; pay a poor boy to mow your grass. They can buy you fancy things like a college degree, but ma and pa can never buy you 6'4" 243." - Marcell Brantley
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
GoodEyeSniper
86%
Garage is empty, add now

thread needs moar yelling
Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
rockcity
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

lol
"Ma and pa can hold your hand; they can wipe your ***. They can buy you all the right brands; pay a poor boy to mow your grass. They can buy you fancy things like a college degree, but ma and pa can never buy you 6'4" 243." - Marcell Brantley
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
believes, car, friday, fridays, past, prohibits, religion, religons, ride, sat, saterday, saturday, sundown, sunset, work, working