Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

TPMS Question for 08 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Question for 08 Civic Si

Sup everyone? I saw from doing a quick search that this subject was revisited a couple times and I was able to get some answers on this matter. I wanted to install the same sensors that are on the 08 Si rims on another set, but I heard that the fitment of the sensors could be a problem. Are the sensors from Honda really specifically made to fit OEM rims or can they be applied to other sets? If they are specifically made, can they be modified to fit on other rims? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Re: TPMS Question for 08 Civic Si

you can, and this is no joke, 3m them to the inside of the tire and wheel assembly, as long as the air pressure is constant, your good, also another one of the tech's i work with mentioned about just installing all 4 sensor into a spare tire, as long as the tpms unit receive a signal of that constant air pressure you can go without having them installed on the other 4 wheels, since the actual sensor do not rely on being in any set location or position on the car.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tomh1979
you can, and this is no joke, 3m them to the inside of the tire and wheel assembly, as long as the air pressure is constant, your good, also another one of the tech's i work with mentioned about just installing all 4 sensor into a spare tire, as long as the tpms unit receive a signal of that constant air pressure you can go without having them installed on the other 4 wheels, since the actual sensor do not rely on being in any set location or position on the car.
how exactly would you put 4 sensors into 1 wheel?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very good question, i also would like to know. Im thinking about purchasing buddy club rims and was wondering the same thing about the sensors.

Im guessing maybe just undo the spare tire and throw the sensors inside and fill back up with air so the sensors get the reading. Only thing i could think of
Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by XkjeldorX
very good question, i also would like to know. Im thinking about purchasing buddy club rims and was wondering the same thing about the sensors.

Im guessing maybe just undo the spare tire and throw the sensors inside and fill back up with air so the sensors get the reading. Only thing i could think of
correct
Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard of this technique, but I'm completely against it. Why negate a safety feature? TPMS is on there for a reason, if the sensors do not fit a particular wheel you want, pick another wheel.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM

i'm personally fine with mine, i'd rather want to know if i'm getting a flat, then again i also tend to like my stock wheels aswell.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K5^
I have heard of this technique, but I'm completely against it. Why negate a safety feature? TPMS is on there for a reason, if the sensors do not fit a particular wheel you want, pick another wheel.
tpms is a pretty worthless safety feature. i can figure out just fine on my own whether i have a flat or not.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks for your replies. I didn't realize that TPMS would be this complicated until I spoke with a Honda dealership to buy a set for rims that I bought. When I heard that they were specifically designed for OEM rims, I wanted to know my options since I already purchased the rims with on way to return them. I just needed to know what will be my options. I have been hearing people transferring the sensors from their stock rims to aftermarket rims. What is the process associated with installing the sensors or modifying them to fit?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd keep the wheels you bought and forget about the TPMS. They're more trouble than they're worth. Check your tire pressure frequently and you'll be fine.

Yeah, there'll be a light on the dash, but it doesn't affect your car at all.

EDIT: Spelling and grammar.

Last edited by av911; 07-16-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tomh1979
3m will not hold them inside a wheel. I tried using Gorilla glue on a customers car ( by request), and they all fell off.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by av911
I'd keep the wheels you bought and forget about the TPMS. They're more trouble than they're worth. Check your tire pressure frequently and you'll be fine.

Yeah, they'll be a light on the dash, but it doesn't affect you car at all.
I'm startin to think that that will be the only logical route without paying a lot more for this headache. One question though: If the TPMS sensor light comes on, is that indicator the one that will prevent me from disabling the VSA? Or is it the low tire pressure indicator?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will be the low tire pressure......this one (!).....if you have the light that says TPMS on your dash it will mean the TPMS unit cannot find one of the sensors or one is broken or not aligned with the system....i should know i deal with this everyday at the dealership

worst is when people drive on a flat and demolish the sensor or when an outside shop does a tire and replaced the tpms sensor with a regular valvestem
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrzy2nR
it will be the low tire pressure......this one (!).....if you have the light that says TPMS on your dash it will mean the TPMS unit cannot find one of the sensors or one is broken or not aligned with the system
coo, thanks for the info!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion just put on the aftermarket rims and tires and live with the TPMS light.
Its not that bad, I have type s rims on mine and I don't even notice the light. Plus if you ever wanna throw on the stock rims the light will turn off in less than a mile. Just check your pressure on a regular basis with the rims and everything will be fine.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by matt08fg2
In my opinion just put on the aftermarket rims and tires and live with the TPMS light.
Its not that bad, I have type s rims on mine and I don't even notice the light. Plus if you ever wanna throw on the stock rims the light will turn off in less than a mile. Just check your pressure on a regular basis with the rims and everything will be fine.
So if I just put my stock rims back on, there's no need to recalibrate them at the dealership? If that's the case, I'll just live with the light for the time being until fall comes around. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just took the dash out of an 08 Si and desolder the diode (bulb) for TPMS, no more messing with TPMS for me!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ace21
So if I just put my stock rims back on, there's no need to recalibrate them at the dealership? If that's the case, I'll just live with the light for the time being until fall comes around. Thanks for your input!
Nope no need to go back. Rock the rims in the spring/summer and just slap on your stocks in the winter. You could even put a pic over the light so you cant see it lol
Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by K5^
Cars have been driving around for decades without TPMS sensors. They are hardly a worthwhile safety feature. They are just something else so people don't have to pay attention or check something (tire pressure).
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jrzy2nR
it will be the low tire pressure......this one (!).....if you have the light that says TPMS on your dash it will mean the TPMS unit cannot find one of the sensors or one is broken or not aligned with the system....i should know i deal with this everyday at the dealership

worst is when people drive on a flat and demolish the sensor or when an outside shop does a tire and replaced the tpms sensor with a regular valvestem
You are WRONG. If you do not have the sensors installed, the light on the dash will be the light that says TPMS. I hope I never visit your dealership when you do not know the answer to the question that was asked. The TPMS light does not disable VSA or affect anything, it merely means that the sensors are not paired with the car's receiver. I should know, I have aftermarket rims on my 08 without the sensors.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ace21
Correct. If you reinstall your factory rims, the light will go off with no need to be recalibrated by Honda.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, for those of you wanting the light off, and not having to put them in your spare or other wise, here is the next best option.

Go to your local hard ware store and find some PVC piping. It only needs to be big enough to fit the sensors in. You are not building a potato gun here.

Make sure each end is threaded. By the appropriate end caps with some Teflon tape.

Next stop at your local auto parts store and buy a single valve stem.

Cap off one end of your pipe, and put your sensors inside. Make sure you use the Teflon tape on the threads.

With the other cap, drill a small hole to fit the valve stem through. This step is very important. You want to start with a small enough hole that makes getting the valve stem through hard, making the seal very tight.

Twist on your cap with the valve stem, add 30psi to the pipe, throw it in your trunk and forget about it forever.

BTW, it is illegal to sell a car with a disabled TPMS system. It was put in affect due to the Tread Act a few years ago.

Good luck everyone.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 08SiFreak
You are WRONG. If you do not have the sensors installed, the light on the dash will be the light that says TPMS. I hope I never visit your dealership when you do not know the answer to the question that was asked. The TPMS light does not disable VSA or affect anything, it merely means that the sensors are not paired with the car's receiver. I should know, I have aftermarket rims on my 08 without the sensors.
i said nothing about the VSA at all.... and yes in a majority of cases that I see come into the dealership with "TPMS" light its because of a signal failure in the sensor or one hasnt been installed correctly for the system to recognize it.....its cake work you hook up the computer to the computer it freakin tells you whats wrong....its usually always warranty bullshit or an outside shop messing up..this is from the OEM point of view mind you im glad my cars arent TPMS i would get rid of them in a second its so annoying to realign them if a sensor breaks and mind you not cheap 40 bucks my cost compared to a dollar valve stem....ughhh
Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ The Honda TPMS system is actually one of the easier more efficient systems.

No need to recalibrate anything during a rotation, if your tire is low, fill it up and it goes off.

Mercedes Benz, BMW etc all have on board communication centers that you have to tell to store the current pressure. Not too bad either.

Nissans and Infinitis TPMS system is a joke.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea no doubt the tpms system for honda is cake work....i know we got a few trade ins of nissans and i wanted to put the repair order in someone elses rack when i got it i cant stand working on some of them

Quick Reply: TPMS Question for 08 Civic Si