Notices

Can you run a turbo without a intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you run a turbo without a intercooler?

So basically i'm looking to add a lil hp and torque. I've come to realize going turbo is the way to go. Anyways i was looking for a only a little psi for DD like under 5...

Could i just run a POS Ebay turbo without a intercooler if i'm just running like 3-4 psi?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-B...Q5fAccessories

There's the link to the turbo i'm thinking about ^.
I don't want to piece together some fancy 2k turbo kit, just something to add a lil kick for dd on my b20b.

Appreciate all feedback. Good or bad.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Can you run a turbo without a intercooler?

Yes you can run turbo's without intercoolers. Typically to do this you DO WANT to stay at 5 lbs. or under. Also running only 3-4 lbs. of boost there is no need to make almost any other modifications. I have done it on quite a few OBDII cars with success.

People will probably flame you and me but F-Em...
Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Yes you can run turbo's without intercoolers. Typically to do this you DO WANT to stay at 5 lbs. or under. Also running only 3-4 lbs. of boost there is no need to make almost any other modifications. I have done it on quite a few OBDII cars with success.

never knew that
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that low of boost should be fine on stock **** really i mean look at it this way at that boost level with tha turbo your wanting you may add 50-75hp and you can compare that to say a 75 shot of dry nitrous and you can safely spray that amount on a bone stock motor an be good to go..
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, turbos can be run without an intercooler.

At the end of the day, if you're going to be buying eBay stuff, just shell out two more hundred dollars and get the piping and intercooler, too. Efficiency and lower IATs are a good thing, and give you more of that "lil power and torque".
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
Yes, turbos can be run without an intercooler.

At the end of the day, if you're going to be buying eBay stuff, just shell out two more hundred dollars and get the piping and intercooler, too. Efficiency and lower IATs are a good thing, and give you more of that "lil power and torque".

Haha i love how you quote me at the end.
Lots of good info in here.

Basically i just got a b20b (low comp) from hmotors installed in my teg, planning to run very low boost. Probably 2-5 psi.

So i guess i'll just save the extra couple hundred ad get the intercooler. Is there ANYthing else i would need? Or just a ebay Full turbo kit.?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d

I guess i read this wrong. Do i NEED or DON'T NEED the intercooler?

Also ive never had any experience with a turbo, how the heck do i know what psi its at? And how do i change it? Do i need a psi gauge?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Read it as it says. You will want to stay at 5 psi. or under to run a turbo without an intercooler. It depends on what the waste gate spring is set at. You will have to purchase a spring if it comes with too high of a psi. Of course you would want a psi. gauge to see what kind of pressure you are getting and to make sure things are not out of whack and you are not getting too much boost. You should have a A/F Ratio gauge as well to be on the safe side. I would just get a intercooler setup and go ahead and buy the E-bay turbo Kit. It will come with almost everything you need. If you want to take some precaution get a FMU as well even though that is just a dirty hack.

Sounds like either you should not turbo your car or you should really take the time to learn about forced induction and how to do it properly.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

without an intercooler your intake temps will be pretty high but if your running low boost it shouldnt be an issue, like others have said.

ebay turbos seem to have issues, you could throw together a junkyard turbo kit for less and it will be more reliable. you could probably find a used exhaust manifold for the correct turbo here on honda-tech and get a turbo from a wrecked whatever (toyota, nissan, mitsubishi)
Old 07-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay turbos/kits are junk. is it worth the hassle to you? Also I would not take advice from anyone recommending an FMU. those things destroy engines. You are gonna want a decent management system if you want it to last no matter how much boost you push. You can pick up an old hondata s100 or s200 for less than what an fmu costs.

IMO it sounds like you need to read and understand what you are doing before buying anything. The FAQs at the top of this section should help get you started
Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at least run an FMU or some chipped program if your gonna do turbo... its better than constantly running lean...

*** by the way i have had success with ebay turbos and kits.... i had about 2,000 miles on mine with no problems.... for a budget setup id say go for it... dont expect a quick spool though

Last edited by 90Rexx; 07-10-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it were up to me, I would just get nitrous with a 50 shot. With the turbo you will want more boost.

just my .02
Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 AM
New User

yeah, of coarse you can. the only thing a intercooler does is cool the ambient temperature if the intake by some deals degrees. it works great and i would recommend it. turbo cars can get extremely hot and i good way to help cool down those incomming gases is intercooler. you can even attach a nitrous oxide line to it to cool it down.. atleast i think it's nitrouse.. i could be wronge
Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This was a basic ?. Don't start telling me to not turbo and get my facts straight before i post again..etc..etc..It was just a ?. A simple ?.

Anyways. I'll take the positive advice in this thread, and probably just run the ebay intercooler with a used decent turbo.

Btw, do nissan, honda, mitsubishi stock turbos bolt up to a ebay manifold or intercooler?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by szczerbanator
This was a basic ?. Don't start telling me to not turbo and get my facts straight before i post again..etc..etc..It was just a ?. A simple ?.

Anyways. I'll take the positive advice in this thread, and probably just run the ebay intercooler with a used decent turbo.

Btw, do nissan, honda, mitsubishi stock turbos bolt up to a ebay manifold or intercooler?
As long as the flanges are the same. There are people on here that make adapters if you need one. The flange is the opening/connection between the turbo manifold and the turbo. Happy boosting.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 on the flanges
depending on where the turbo sits you might need to change some of the piping around so it will fit.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by szczerbanator

He's saying it for your own good. You need to learn what you're doing before you do this stuff. It's not as simple as just buying a cheapass turbo kit and slapping it on there. It's not like you're doing I/H/E. And don't be mad because some people aren't telling you what you want to hear. You get what you pay for. That ebay turbo kit is what, like 350 bucks? There's a reason. If you're going to boost a Honda you either do it right or don't do it at all. Don't expect to be able to pay like 500-600 total and then be done with it. You're going to end up spending a lot more than that in one way or another.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DD cars need good parts too. The cooler things run the better. Use good quality parts the first time so that you will not be stuck on the side of the road like race car with 3X more power than you.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay intercooler kits arent the best but they will do the job that it sounds like you are looking for.
stock turbos are sometimes the best turbos you can get because they were made with the intentions of running for 200,000+ miles.
by far the most important aspect of any build is the engine management system. this is where your going to get exactly what you pay for. dont cheap out here or your going to be replacing major cost parts.
so imo put a ebay intercooler/piping on it, use a stock turbo (ex. eclipse), get yourself acouple gauges and a good tune and go have some fun.

build it right the first time so you dont end up spending twice the amount you would have originally, if you went with the right parts.