Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Boiling,gurgling noise in oil?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boiling,gurgling noise in oil?

i do have a turbo charged application, my car doesnt over heat but trying to figure oil a grugling/boiling noise, opened the oil cap and i can hear the noise inside the motor. i do smell gas on the dip stick, could gas in oil cause a boiling?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boiling,gurgling noise in oil?

cracked cylinder or blown piston rings for the win
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

compression cylinder check then?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a leakdown of the motor would be better if you have that option but a compression is a good place to start if not.

oil does not really boil, you sure you are not hearing oil draining back to the pan when you shut it off? I dont usually think of that as boiling sound but obviously the internet makes describing sounds difficult to word at times.

having any problems or anything other than this? have you looked at your coolant lately. any oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, overflow bottle filling up and coolant not being recovered to radiator when cooled down, steam from crankcase breather, misfiring in boost, etc?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vacuum looks good holds at 20 on idle no flucuation, No white smoke, refilled coolant about week or 2 ago,ill check again but checked about 4 days ago and it was still full. no major changes, still runs strong in boost. if i open rad cap i should see oil on top right if i got a problem? You might be right, i hear the noise when i shut down the engine. This is the info i was lookin for thanks man! any more info would be great.

Originally Posted by twkdCD595
a leakdown of the motor would be better if you have that option but a compression is a good place to start if not.

oil does not really boil, you sure you are not hearing oil draining back to the pan when you shut it off? I dont usually think of that as boiling sound but obviously the internet makes describing sounds difficult to word at times.

having any problems or anything other than this? have you looked at your coolant lately. any oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, overflow bottle filling up and coolant not being recovered to radiator when cooled down, steam from crankcase breather, misfiring in boost, etc?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accord99power
Vacuum looks good holds at 20 on idle no flucuation, No white smoke, refilled coolant about week or 2 ago,ill check again but checked about 4 days ago and it was still full. no major changes, still runs strong in boost. if i open rad cap i should see oil on top right if i got a problem? You might be right, i hear the noise when i shut down the engine. This is the info i was lookin for thanks man! any more info would be great.
Yeah you would see oil in your coolant pretty easily if its any decent amount or sometimes when not as serious just little like a swirly looking chemical look on top of the coolant, like when you put a drop of oil in a cup of water. Hard to describe what I am saying. Also if your seeig oil usually you see air bubbles rise up through the coolant consistantly.

Oil will turn a milk shake like looking stuff under your oil cap if you have water getting in the oil. When you pull your dipstick you will have little droplets of water on the stick too.

Heavy fuel contamination will make your oil like water thin over time and it will smell really strong (a little smell is normal though) if there is alot of fuel in oil.

A subaru like idle is also another tale tell sign of problems.

So far from what your saying it sounds like nothing out of the ordinary but inital symptoms of problems can sometimes be pretty elusive.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, well i had a problem when i did my tranny job i broke the coolant temp sensor going to the ecu, didnt know it at first, but it ran horrible gas fouling etc. well i fixed that problem but still have strong gas smell even after changing oil im sure it will just take a few changes ya know. I read that gas does get into the oil which is normal, you are right about that. i looked at dipstick, nothing unusual, but your right it doesnt eliminate that there is a problem, ill run a compression check soon. Thanks for your info it does help! Ohh i checked under the radiator cap and no oil present. and the coolant level was still at max on resivoir. im a bad speller geez.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea it wouldnt hurt to do a compression and/ or leak down on the motor, take a look at the plugs closely for any possible signs of an issue, etc.

Glad to add something that helps out another boosted f.