Print Wikipost

Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

Originally Posted by gnnr2
I love this forum. Had this happen last night and pulled the horn/stop fuse. Saw the "blue crayon" tip in my floor.

However, this morning, replaced the fuse and lights were out. Got in the car, started it, but now it won't shift out of P. Sounds like the brake switch is bad.
You might want to re-check a few things. Number 1, the brake lights are off but when you press the pedal do they come on? Is the fuse fully seated? Get a flashlight and confirm if the "stopper" is there or not?

Next, give the year and trim and we can get into testing where the issue is.....might want to start a new thread about the issue instead of doing it in this one.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Re: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

Originally Posted by Lost Again
You might want to re-check a few things. Number 1, the brake lights are off but when you press the pedal do they come on? Is the fuse fully seated? Get a flashlight and confirm if the "stopper" is there or not?

Next, give the year and trim and we can get into testing where the issue is.....might want to start a new thread about the issue instead of doing it in this one.
It is a 93 Accord LX. The stopper was missing, so fixed it with the bolt idea. Re-learned a valuable lesson about car repair....if you take something out, put it back IN THE SAME SPOT you took it from. When replaced the fuse that killed the lights, I put it in the power seat slot. (I don't have power seats!) Once I discovered this, everything works great now. I'll consider this the beginning of my "senior" moments!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Trial User

Icon3 Re: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

PLEASE HELP!

I have a similar situation in my 99 Si.. i have currently noticed while driving (only because my girlfriend called me and told me this) that my rear break lights tend to go on and off and im not even pressing the brakes???!! thats my first issue and the second is while car is off and in nuetral, all three rear break lights are on? it has drained my battery several times?

could this be a wiring issue or could it be a brake switch too?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When your brake lights stay on when car is off that means that the pedal stopper that is between your brake pedal and brake switch is gone.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Domani99Si
PLEASE HELP!

I have a similar situation in my 99 Si.. i have currently noticed while driving (only because my girlfriend called me and told me this) that my rear break lights tend to go on and off and im not even pressing the brakes???!! thats my first issue and the second is while car is off and in nuetral, all three rear break lights are on? it has drained my battery several times?

could this be a wiring issue or could it be a brake switch too?

PLEASE HELP!!!
As stated, check the "stopper" but IMO your issue sounds more like the switch is not adjusted properly.....sometimes on, sometimes off - check and adjust as needed.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Trial User

Thanks for this info, fellas. Just saved me from buying a whole new brake switch.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Trial User

This just happened to my 97 Prelude right after I noticed my gasket was blown and leaking oil! Hopefully this will be a quick fix.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just used plastic bolt/fastener from my old door panel, for quickfix repair. It's Sunday so I couldn't get the part at the Honda dealership.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Trial User

Wife came back home and said back lights didn't go off. Googled and found this thread. Found three pieces of broken plastics on the floor. I stuck a wooden scrabble tile from my son to turn the lights off for tonight. Will find fix tomorrow. Thank you all guys, and gals!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Trial User

Gotta love the Internet! (and this forum).
Sure enough, read all these posts, go back outside and look on the floorboard and there sits a broken brake light pointy thingy.
I replaced it with a bolt and lock nut and voila!
Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sell the plastic piece at oreilly auto.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ord&vi=1365397

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 07-03-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bronx finest
There is a pointy tab that comes into contact with the lever on the brake pedal, if you do not see it within close proximity (its supposed to be depressed in order to turn off the brake lights) it more than likely broke off. I've seen it happen in many Hondas.

Look at the switch itself, and attach something like a eraser tip or something to it and it'll work again, so long as the item is large enough to depress the button when your brake pedal is at its 'resting' position.

I did this to my boy's EG6, and its been 2yrs since, with no further brake light problem. Just a little 10minute/eraser tip fix lol.
Worked for me perfect... when I noticed it on, I didn't even try to find the problem I just came here first and knew it would save time and I found this post in 2 minutes.

I just super glued a small peace of pencil eraser...

So thanks alot.. saved me some time and headaches.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran into the problem twice with my daughter's 1999 Honda Accord. Fixed it by using nylon parts from Lowe's for $0.60.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Trial User

YEEEAY! just found this website due to having this problem crop up this very evening! I found the little crayon tip looking piece and the button that looks like an eraser was still there so I just slid a decorative glass pebble between the metal and the eraser button thing and I taped it on with electrical tape. LIGHTS OFF! YAY. I found where to look from the diagram someone posted which pointed me in the direction of where to look. So glad to find this lil honda site! I love my 1997 honda crv with all its 340,000 plus miles and all!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:11 PM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Fuuuuu!!! I just found the broken pedal stop pad on the floor mat along with a dead battery!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Trial User

Fixed mine temporarily with a metal binder clip. Worked great!
Ordered a replacement pedal pad from Amazon.

I was ready to start pulling fuses, so this thread saved me a lot of time and headache. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
Try starting the car and then press the brake pedal with you hand and insert the stopper/plug.

Thanks so much for this tip.I spent nearly half an hour trying to squeeze this part into a space it clearly didn't fit with the engine off. It took less than 10 seconds to snap in place with the engine idling.

And for anyone looking for an online link for this part, here's amazons:

Amazon.com: Dorman 74015 Brake Pedal Accelerator Stop: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 74015 Brake Pedal Accelerator Stop: Automotive
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put a washer in place of the stopper
Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by efekek
Just put a washer in place of the stopper
Then be prepared to check the brake light switch for adjustment issues (cruise control stops working)....or like another recent poster, had brakes locking up because the "rigged fix" for his was causing the brakes to drag and heat up to the point of locking up
Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How the heck could a washer that's sole purpose is to depress a dip switch, inserted in place of the OEM rubber crap that constantly falls out, possibly cause someone's brakes to fail or their brake light to illuminate?

And what brake light switch illuminates when the brakes need adjustment? I have no clue what you're talking about and have a feeling you don't either... more ignorance being spread on the internet.. yay.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by g8rdude
Bronx,

I think you nailed it. While I was playing around last night i noticed a blue plastic pointy thing laying on the floor mat that looked like the tip of a crayon, not knowing what it was I just tossed it on the ground. ugghh. I will try to find something at home tonight to take it's place. I know I have a few #2 pencils laying around

THanks man!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To fix this on my '95 Accord, I used an M80x1.0 bolt + lock washer + nut in place of a plastic bumper. I know it'll NEVER wear out. I got the idea from YouTube, e.g.,
Old 08-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ddr4040
Thanks so much for this tip.I spent nearly half an hour trying to squeeze this part into a space it clearly didn't fit with the engine off. It took less than 10 seconds to snap in place with the engine idling.

And for anyone looking for an online link for this part, here's amazons:

Amazon.com: Dorman 74015 Brake Pedal Accelerator Stop: Automotive

They also have them at advacne auto parts. They are called bumper botls and its a pack that fits ALL cars that have this style brake switch... It has the one for Honda and Toyota basically ALL
Its like $4.99

Needa Parts Rubber Bumper Assortment - Universal Part No. 45393
Old 08-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are a huge save! This happened to me a week ago and just by checking this forum, I knew what to do and it saved my husband from "guess"shooting to my relief. He just used a screw anchor.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Trial User

An old thread but still VERY useful! I too found the 'crayon tip' on my floor just like everyone else did! Pretty easy fix using a nut and bolt as suggested. Kind of a pain trying to get to it upside down while pushing the brake pedal in though. My suggestion would be to have someone hold down the brake pedal for you while you do your fix.. A BIG thank you to all who have contributed and helped me with this fix!

P.S, Here was my broken 'crayon tip' I found on the floor ....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off