See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

I just faced the same problem brake light is ON at the back of the car. Its about mid might and no choice but to unplug the battery cable. Could you please explain with some pciture what exactly I need to do to fix this problem? Should I take it to mechanic or need to buy a part? You all mentioned some fix but I could not understand. Can anyone explain with more pictures?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Post 16 has a pretty good picture of the switch location. Look on the pedal "arm" to be sure there is a "bumper" and not a whole. If there is a hole, not closing the switch, then you need a new bumper. ~$3 at the dealer 46505-SA5-000
Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello, everyone, I just wanted to update on the status. This thread is awesome. This link nailed the problem location: http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/ho...hts-stuck.html

I just put two double sided 3M scotch tape on a "penny". then placed it right there. It worked nicely. ThenI went to honday dealer to get the part. Installed it. Installation was little difficult but someone in this thread mentioned that we ned to push the flat side of the part on to the sprinloaded switch first while pressing the brake pedal. then released the pedal and the part fit in there.
Wonderful. Excelent thread and forum. My gratitude to everyone. You guys rock.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, my Rex did the same damn thing, kept getting a dead batt in the mornings. Would not have figured this out till my neighbor told me that my brake lights were on. Went to local auto parts store and bought a small pack of rubber stops, variety pack. Popped one on and the problem is gone. Come to find out that my clutch/brake lock was putting too much pressure on the old brittle crayon looking piece that everyone mentions. With the new rubber, this problem is resolved. Thought I would mention this in case anyone else uses the clutch/brake style locks.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the great info everybody! I was at my parents' house for Easter weekend and I noticed my brake lights were staying on even after I turned the car off. I'm an electrical engineer so my first hunch was a short somewhere. Of course, us engineers are always overthinking things. My step-dad told me it was probably the brake pedal switch. So we took a look and sure enough, the switch button was sticking through the hole in the break pedal arm. As soon as we discovered that, I instantly remembered feeling something fall on my foot as I was driving (with flip-flops on my feet). I thought it was a bug or something, but apparently it was the blue crayon piece that everybody is talking about on this thread. I found some pieces of it on the floor. The switch appears to be just fine (upon pressing the little white button, the brake lights turn off). So I guess I'll just drive down to the nearest Honda dealer and pick up a new "pedal stop" for a couple dollars. Thanks again for all the helpful posts.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 AM
d9h
Honda-Tech Member

I used a golf tee to fix mine. It's a perfect fit and even fits in the hole without any modification. 2 min fix.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by bronx finest
that's exactly the thing bro, you've got it.

I think you'll have this situation fixed by tonight, so here's a beer on me
That was my problem & yes i did find that thing that looks like a crayon on my floor mat and i just through it away,so someone fixed it for me,and later on that nite i drove it to the store,and it drove fine while i was going,but on my way back my car would hardly got 10mph,i took my foot off the gas peddle and it stopped without me mashing the brake peddle,and also the brake peddle was very very hard,so i mashed on the gas peddle and it still did not want to go,the more i mashed on the gas peddle it still did not want to go,but it started to smell real bad,and also while it was cool it will run,but if it got hot it will not run,so what do u think the problem is now.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by deg15scorpio
Yep, this happened on my 1993 Honda Del Sol. It was pretty funny. I noticed the brake lights on, was about to go pull fuses and stuff when I decided to google it first. This thread was the first thing that hit.

I read about a crayon lookin thing on the floorboard. Went out to my car, and sure fire, there lay this crayon tip looking thing!

Fixed it with a nut / bolt combo... couple of washers too..

Thanks so MUCH!!! This forum has saved me so much money at the mechanic already!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the advice, A nut and bolt fixed mine too....Thanks for saving me time and $$
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Trial User

Thank GOD for this site... My daughter's car did this tonight while she was at work. She had called me and I googled it and found this site ! Well, she was really ticked it was so hot and she could not find the litttle hole you guys are talking about, but she did find the plastic top that looks like a crayon...LMAO
Not funny too her...well she did not have a pencil , so I'm like look for something..The battery will be dead in the morning. After a few hours on the phone and reading about the pencil to the gum...I'm like with all the junk in your car you can not find anything...At last she said, I think I know what I can try..I'm like tell me..she say's well let me see if it works..OK, well she used a bottled water top and pushed it in the hole and the lights turned off...started up the car to charge the battery... and well this is just to get the darn light off till she can get home. I put a pencil in my bag for 2-marrow ! LMAO It's like 109 degrees in the day time in Texas and it was still in the upper 80's that night... Well, thanks to all your post we figured out a little something till she gets off. I told her I had to put a post up..Just in case someone needed a quick fix ! Thanks to all !
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off

I'm driving a 94 Honda Accord. You guys saved me some trouble. My friend also thought it was a fuse, but upon pulling the fuse, for some reason it wouldn't put the car into gear. I looked at the fuse and realized that the fuse was good. Upon googling I found answers to my questions from this forum. I think I've fixed my problem as I've tested it out and it works.

What I did was ended up using two dimes stuck together with some clear sticky, gummy glue, with some gummy glue stuck the side of the dime that will rest on the black hole as described in this topic's tread. I had to push the pedal pretty hard to get it to have enough space for me to put the dimes in. I tested it out and it works fine. I even tested it to make sure the brake and rear light still works and that's fine as well.

I've upload a video to Youtube showing what I've done. It's kind of fast and it maybe jerky, so I am sorry in advice. It's just a close up of what I did.

I hope this helps.

Here's the link to the video, http://bit.ly/brakelightswitchfix
Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things:

If you are trying to save the battery, why does everyone pull the cable...I'd just pull the under hood fuse?

Now to victorb's point, without that fuse the interlock on the auto's won't work but there is always the key into the gearshift release, if you really have to drive with NO brake lights(fuse pulled).

of course you are either driving with the brake lights always on or always off

Last edited by Lost Again; 08-31-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added infromation
Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by billyrusa
Here it is. You do not need to adjust the pedal hight if you did not work on the brake system. Just check the switch and the switch adjustment screw. If the switch stuck on connection position, the brake light will be on even the car is off.
Thanks again to all of you GREAT HONDA techies, and honsa-tech.com for another very helpful answer to a problem that does not appear in most of the HONDA Repair.Maintainence manuals, for the public! I have been doung most of the maintainenece and repair on my '92 Accord Wagon, since a mechanic at a national(not HONDA) chain mistook me for a stupid female and cleaned out my wallet on a repair while I was traveling. My son works for Honda, so he usually did my repairs, but since I'm away a lot,now, for my job, I've learned to do what I have tools for, myself, ie: replace ECU, blower motor, tunr-ups, adding freon to the A/C etc. Your site is a lifesaver, especially with added illustrations. Many Thanks, Foxyhondagal
Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had same problem with 2 accords i just bought, brake lights stayed on, after reading the post decided to put a body panel fastner in the hole and it was a perfect fit. No more problems.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Trial User

The proper name for the part is "clutch pedal stop pad" when you're looking for the official replacement. What a complicated name for a stupid piece of plastic.

You have more than one in your del Sol.... One on the brake pedal (this is the one that everyone has broken and that's why the lights are staying on), one on the clutch, one somewhere hidden for the cruise control, and another one somewhere else.

I fixed my brake pedal one when it broke using a small nut and bolt -- figured metal lasts longer and they should have done this to start with. That was two years ago, haven't looked back. Found another broken one later on the floor but there didn't seem to be any ill effects, so ignored it. That was probably the cruise control one and I don't use the cruise in my commute, so it didn't matter.

This past week my car wouldn't start and left me calling a tow. It wasn't the battery (had radio and jump didn't work) and the starter wasn't even trying to turn over the engine.... figured I could either try replacing the starter in a sketchy parking lot or have it towed and if I'm paying for a tow then it's going to the shop not my driveway. They did a test and it turned out everything was fine-- except another one of these stupid plastic parts had broken.... if the ignition doesn't think the clutch is pressed in, it doesn't start......

My advice.... if you're replacing the brake one, go ahead and order a few more and replace the clutch one too. Might save you a tow bill later that year.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by my93accord
Hello, everyone, I just wanted to update on the status. This thread is awesome. This link nailed the problem location: http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/ho...hts-stuck.html

I just put two double sided 3M scotch tape on a "penny". then placed it right there. It worked nicely. ThenI went to honday dealer to get the part. Installed it. Installation was little difficult but someone in this thread mentioned that we ned to push the flat side of the part on to the sprinloaded switch first while pressing the brake pedal. then released the pedal and the part fit in there.
Wonderful. Excelent thread and forum. My gratitude to everyone. You guys rock.
Awsome find, helped.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Trial User

Here is also a really easy and cheap fix. take a screw and screw it through a small square pad that has a sticky side (once you remove the paper) with the sticky side facing away from the screw or bolt head and push the screw or bolt through the hole with the sticky pad allowing it to stay in place as well as give some cushion. the screw also helps the pad from shifting, took me 2 minutes to make and 30 seconds to install. here's a pick of my "new" brake switch bumper

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...35708214_n.jpg

you could go all fancy and use a bolt with washers and a nut to keep it tight, but I was at work and this was all I had around. No problems since.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by LawlessOne
<: bump :> for the quick fix with 1/4 inch bolt.

At least my new battery won't be dead by the time I replace this little piece!

Hondatech forums saves my *** yet one more time!! Cheers to all!!

WOW Just had this happen I was clueless thank you so much for helping me fix my car used the bolt works great had dead battery but hey better than a mechanis bill thank you again all of you that posted on here
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://youtu.be/Nuj9o6YdO8A
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It cost $4.32 to fix got little palstic thingy from honda dealer and just pushed it on the break pedal
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before switching the break light switch pushe the butron in to see if the lights turn off if they do its not the switch its the little plastic tab that goes on the who,e that in the above video was covered by tape or some thing the little plastic tab goes there so the switch can fully retract thefore turning the break light on or off.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahahahaha he took the who,e thing down then realized it was the plastic tab ***** pricels hahahaha
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ever figure this out
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the great advice! I came home, turned my car off, and discovered my brake slightly would not come off, i read some of the posts and put the point of an eraser in the hole and the brake lights came off! Next step is to order the actual part for it, but this was a great, quik, fix! Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is similar to a problem I am having ( I have listed this in a different post). I had the front brakes, rotors and calipers replaced the other day by a mechanic and the next day I noticed that the stop and tail lights were still on. This problem was not happening prior to the work so I am wondering what happened.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear light and brake lights stay on when car is off