Notices

JDM ENGINE DEPOT

Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM ENGINE DEPOT

I thought i'd share my experience with this place as they are a horrible and dont want anyone else dealing with what i have been..

I bought a R33 RB25det swap from them for 2200 shipped, good price. I received the engine and it looked to be in decent shape, missing a few things but nothing crazy.. I started to inspect the engine, did a leak down removing items etc, and i noticed there was some kinda rust colored fluid in cylinder 3.. I removed the head to inspect as i was planing on replacing the head gasket anyway. upon removal i found this

as you can see from the pictures water some how go into the engine and rusted the cylinder wall and the camshaft, it would need to be at least honed in order for it to work properly again, and the camshaft would need some type of repair.

i followed their warrenty policy i gave them my certification number and a detailed description and the pictures you have already seen.

Will at JDM engine depot is an absolute retard and obviously has no idea how an engine is supposed to work, he asked me if i had tryed to run the engine and got a little mad that i took MY engine apart. he expected me to run the engine and see what happened.. I couldnt beleive he said that, at first i wanted another engine i offered to pay shipping and he said that theres nothing he can do because i hadnt ran it yet... i mean anyone whos knows what there looking at knows that it shouldnt be run like that... im sure it would start, but not with out smoking or eventually wearing out the cam..

I could rant on about the conversations we had, he pretty much told me to deal with it, he offered me another camshaft from a non turbo RB and i wasnt sure if it was the correct one or not and he wasnt either... SO do yourself a favor and take it from me, DONT buy from JDM ENGINE DEPOT
Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM ENGINE DEPOT

Damn man sorry about your experience. I sell a lot of JDM part on ebay but I always make sure the item is in good condition before I sell it. A lot of those engine have been sitting for a long time in the junkyard in a big pile they don't take very good care of them. A rb25 is only worth about $200 here in japan I don't know why is it a big deal for them to replace it you paid good money for that engine and should fight till you get a new one. Beside is $2200 a good price for a RB25 in the states cause I find these things in junkyard all the time for $100-400. I can even get RB26 for around $900.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's crazy... That guy is an *** hat!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ship that **** back and go to the better buisness bureau and tell them i didn't get what i ordered
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gator1
Damn man sorry about your experience. I sell a lot of JDM part on ebay but I always make sure the item is in good condition before I sell it. A lot of those engine have been sitting for a long time in the junkyard in a big pile they don't take very good care of them. A rb25 is only worth about $200 here in japan I don't know why is it a big deal for them to replace it you paid good money for that engine and should fight till you get a new one. Beside is $2200 a good price for a RB25 in the states cause I find these things in junkyard all the time for $100-400. I can even get RB26 for around $900.
900!! send me one.. seriously
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
TRIAL USER

bumping an old thread. JDMEngineDepot is a joke.

http://240atlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51161

just looking out for fellow enthusiasts
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump so people see
Old 12-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Between me and a friend we have bought roughly 6 motors and 3 transmissions from JDM Engine Depot. Only 1 SR20 had a issue ( spun bearing) and they replaced it right away...that was around a year ago and we always just had a little older asian guy who we could hardly understand. Maybe someone new answers the phones now.
Edit: We also picked everything up, since they are like 2 hrs from me. That could be another reason we had no issue.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would have been so pissed i would take this to court if they dont wana give u ur money
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive purchased plenty of good engines and transmission from JDM Engine Depot, did you call them and try to work something out? There pretty good about their start up waranty. And that my friend would be a start up issue. Unfortunatly they cant tear down the engines and inspect for things like this but try and work it out with them. there good guys
Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Ive purchased plenty of good engines and transmission from JDM Engine Depot, did you call them and try to work something out? There pretty good about their start up waranty. And that my friend would be a start up issue. Unfortunatly they cant tear down the engines and inspect for things like this but try and work it out with them. there good guys
did you not read the first post?

Horrible buisness practice, if the motor didnt have water in it, would have been a great motor, it was in good shape otherwise, however the tranny isnt the best either, noisey, grinds a bit when cold, better when the fluid gets warm..

The fact is i sent Proof of everything, mechanic certs, good pictures etc etc, and they wouldnt do a damn thing... thats ****ed up, im sure some people have had an ok experience, but im not one of them...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to mention this was over a year ago, that motor has been completly torn apart and rebuilt from the ground up, so im not pursing reimburstment, i simply bumped the thread because there was anothe guy on a different forum having issues with these retards
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad i did my research b4 ordering from them thanks fellas this helped alot!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump so people know
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vic631
glad i did my research b4 ordering from them thanks fellas this helped alot!
unless you deal with someone like steve at hmotors there is no such thing as "research" as our friend in japan mentioned, these engines are often sitting in a junkyard for years, out in the elements, then get thrown in a shipping container and brought to the states. the jdm companies just offload this stuff for whatever they can get out of it, take the profit and order another batch. there is some risk of this with nearly any jdm outfit.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
unless you deal with someone like steve at hmotors there is no such thing as "research" as our friend in japan mentioned, these engines are often sitting in a junkyard for years, out in the elements, then get thrown in a shipping container and brought to the states. the jdm companies just offload this stuff for whatever they can get out of it, take the profit and order another batch. there is some risk of this with nearly any jdm outfit.
Not really, now im sure they sit and get weathered etc, but if the smallest precautions (blocking Intake and exhuast inlets/outlets and covering crankcase vents etc there would be no issue... If you are a company offering a low mileage engine with an advertised warrenty then you should be standing by it... plain and simple...

Not to mention your paying thousands of dollars in some cases, not for a gamble but for what they have advertised...do you work for JDM engine depot or something?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B20luda
Not really, now im sure they sit and get weathered etc, but if the smallest precautions (blocking Intake and exhuast inlets/outlets and covering crankcase vents etc there would be no issue... If you are a company offering a low mileage engine with an advertised warrenty then you should be standing by it... plain and simple...

Not to mention your paying thousands of dollars in some cases, not for a gamble but for what they have advertised...do you work for JDM engine depot or something?
that was my point, with steve at HMO, unless the importer offers some kind of real warranty most those places just sell what comes on the crate. i would have disputed the one above if paid via credit card. i think the pictures would go a long way with winning.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true, you never know what your going to get... buying a jdm motor is like shooting dice.. you never know. The guy who said you can get rb25's for a hundred bucks a few years back is true but after shipping then mark up at who ever then shipping to you.

When I was in japan I was going to buy an R33 skyline for about 3000 us dollers... but damn shipping was 7000 but if customs feel like being dicks they can take your car and crush it. You wont see the car again and your out 10k bucks... it sucks all because DOT wants to be dicks
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i was in the feild of automotive i replaced quite a few engines with japanesse ones, always got engines from the same place, when i was there we had only had 1 issue with an engine and they gave us another one, pretty much no questions asked... If i was local to JDM engine Depot im sure they would have been a lot nicer...

Having that motor with rusted cylinders like i got gave me an excuse to build it even though that wasnt the plan, and im glad i did now, but thats besides the point obviously

The trans i got is a peice of **** as well, it works but its noisey and grinds 3rd gear pretty good...

They stuck it in my *** pretty good, ****ers