Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

which amp should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which amp should i get?

Getting all around alpine type s speakers and a small JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 sub. I have a del sol and im not asking for much. I value my trunk space, although I love my music, I don't need the bass punching in the gut and face loud, high, shaking, etc... also another reason why I opted out on alpine type r speakers. Bass down low. Any amp suggestions? Im also looking for a head unit.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: which amp should i get?

look into the alpine pdx amps. small and power full. grab one that power output rms is close to you speakers rms.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whats your $$ comfy zone $$ for amp.

Head unit...can't beat a Pioneer IMO. All I ever owned but even the newer stuff is getting cheesy. Find a NIB older model. DEH-P6000UB is one of the last decent Pioneer decks put out there. 7 Band EQ, all your filters, Hi-volt preouts, Sub control, USB and iPhone control. Alpine, Eclipse, maybe Clarion would be other choices.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 PM
prj
Honda-Tech Member

i've always used kenwood excelon decks.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have had great experiences with my (many) sony x-plod headunits. Not so great experiences with a cheap pioneer, kenwood and alpine.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prj
i've always used kenwood excelon decks.
Good sh*t! Remember the old D-Mask decks? My first system was Kenwood D-Mask deck, Kenwood 3-way 6x9's, Rockford fosgate POWER150a 2ch and (2) 10" Rockford XLC DVC 10's.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joeshmo
Have had great experiences with my (many) sony x-plod headunits. Not so great experiences with a cheap pioneer, kenwood and alpine.
That's a completely backwards statement. Sony makes a great tv and lord knows i love my ps3 but their car audio is horrible. Good for low budget applications or work vehicle but over a Pioneer or Alpine? No way.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said it in your post best..."my (many) sony x-plod headunits"... youobviously had isues or reasons to go through so many.

spend the money once.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The new JVC decks works really well. They tend to have higher pre-out voltage then pioneer as well. Whats your price range for the amp?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM
prj
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by just_bn_me83
Good sh*t! Remember the old D-Mask decks? My first system was Kenwood D-Mask deck, Kenwood 3-way 6x9's, Rockford fosgate POWER150a 2ch and (2) 10" Rockford XLC DVC 10's.
don't think i ever had one of the d-mask decks, but almost every vehicle i've owned i've put an excelon deck into it.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My favorites are those old school amps which only Ebay has them. I always search there. Those are the best. The sound quality is superior, but you need good speakers to go with them. I got all Alpine component speakers, Phoenix Gold 10" sub, Phoenix Gold 60W amp to drive the sub and the JBL GTQ 240 to drive the Alpine components. They stole my Kicker and US Acoustic. Lucky they didn't get my Pioneer Touch screen. I made a cover for it and they didn't see it at night. My alarm should be done by next week. It should have been done already but every time I start it, some thing come up and delay it.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know ur budget, but this is a decent 5 channel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Soundstr...ht_1076wt_1169
Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a completely backwards statement. Sony makes a great tv and lord knows i love my ps3 but their car audio is horrible. Good for low budget applications or work vehicle but over a Pioneer or Alpine? No way.
I typically would agree and almost anything else sony car-audio related is garbage (xplod speakers are absolutely the worst garbage. Worst than stock) . I like their headunits however (albeit everything is running via amp, not going the use the "54 watts" of "real-power" provided by my headunit, trololo.)

The reason I have had many is because they end up leaving me in whatever car they are in. We have one in my current car, I had 2 different models at different times in my old car, one in my truck, one in my brothers civic, and several friends have them. Very few problems with the headunits (except one that had one preamp channel die.)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bad_dude
My favorites are those old school amps which only Ebay has them. I always search there. Those are the best. The sound quality is superior, but you need good speakers to go with them. I got all Alpine component speakers, Phoenix Gold 10" sub, Phoenix Gold 60W amp to drive the sub and the JBL GTQ 240 to drive the Alpine components. They stole my Kicker and US Acoustic. Lucky they didn't get my Pioneer Touch screen. I made a cover for it and they didn't see it at night. My alarm should be done by next week. It should have been done already but every time I start it, some thing come up and delay it.
Good advice! I have a guy on ebay that I go to for Old school Orion stuff. Just gotta dig around and find someone who knows their sh*t and uses good USA made parts with Military grade tolerances like it all used to be built with.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you don't mind having two amps and more wire running around your trunk, i would suggest doing so to get the most value out of your setup, for your door speakers i would suggest a JBL GTO-504EZ, easy setup, and phenomenal sound quality, and it hits 50 watts/channel RMS @ 4ohms so it will power those speakers well, although you do pay around $200 for it, i was pleased and i still enjoy it. as for your sub, a mono-block amp that is stable @ 4ohms i would suggest the Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1D, i do not have any experience with this particular amp, but Rockford is a good brand (pricy tho) and this should power that JL sub on the high end. If you have time, talk to the Crutchfeild advisers, they will help you out,
Good Luck on your build!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 PM
prj
Honda-Tech Member

the old ppi amps are good too
Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alpine decks are the best in my OP.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alpine amps are decent for how much you pay. Go to your local best buy. Alot of alpine stuff is on sale. I think there trying to get rid of it to make way for all there kicker stuff
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeshmo
I typically would agree and almost anything else sony car-audio related is garbage (xplod speakers are absolutely the worst garbage. Worst than stock) . I like their headunits however (albeit everything is running via amp, not going the use the "54 watts" of "real-power" provided by my headunit, trololo.)
Sony like everyone else just started making cheaper equipment. The Sony ES line of recievers was pretty good stuff paired up with a Sony ES DSP. The explode stuff is meant to satisfy the bottom of the market. Where 80% of the buyers are at. They dont want to spend any serious funds on a radio they just want any radio. Personally I think the days of buying aftermarket radios is numbered. The manufactures of theses radios know the real money is working with the OEM's and integrating a system into your car. This make it more difficult to swap something out and install something else. The more integrated they become the less likely you are to remove one. Some control HVAC settings with touch screens now. Good luck removing that!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! I just love to read the post on here. Take a look at the XD700/5 from JL. Still made in America and the company is owned by sound enthusiast, not a shareholders group. $550 and it will run all of your speakers plus your sub.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bjude1
Wow! I just love to read the post on here. Take a look at the XD700/5 from JL. Still made in America and the company is owned by sound enthusiast, not a shareholders group. $550 and it will run all of your speakers plus your sub.
Generally I like JL audio equipment. However I'm not a huge fan of the amps. Well made yes, but they are essentially thow away amps. I say this because they use multi layered PCB's. They also use parts that are hard to find outside of JL. If you have an issue with an internal trace on the PCB your hosed. Also JL wont release schematics for their amps.(I dont blame them I wouldn't either)

98% of the buyers probably dont care about that stuff and probably don't need to. What JL has done is essentialy built obsolecents into each amplifier. The day they stop supporting it is the day you must buy a new one. All electronics are trending this way though.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
Generally I like JL audio equipment. However I'm not a huge fan of the amps. Well made yes, but they are essentially thow away amps. I say this because they use multi layered PCB's. They also use parts that are hard to find outside of JL. If you have an issue with an internal trace on the PCB your hosed. Also JL wont release schematics for their amps.(I dont blame them I wouldn't either)

98% of the buyers probably dont care about that stuff and probably don't need to. What JL has done is essentialy built obsolecents into each amplifier. The day they stop supporting it is the day you must buy a new one. All electronics are trending this way though.
I sell tons of JL at my shop and they rarely have problems. All amps are throw-away these days. JL is one of the only companies that I know that will repair there amps and re-cone there speakers in house.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bjude1
I sell tons of JL at my shop and they rarely have problems. All amps are throw-away these days. JL is one of the only companies that I know that will repair there amps and re-cone there speakers in house.
I have one of their amps it has problems. The problem is that you pretty much are stuck with going to JL to have it fixed. Which they typically charge 1/2 of what it cost to buy new. When a simple part may cost $1.25.

It's kinda like being required to go to Honda everytime you need your car fixed no matter how simple and then being charged $150 for a single spark plug wire. It's a buisness model they have chosen and it works for them can't fault them for doing it. Never did I say their equipment isn't any good because of this. What happens to those amps when JL decides they are obsolete and they no longer want to support them or perhaps they go out of buisness? Your up s**t creak without a paddle. I've got a few autotek's built in 95 that are still functional and work perfectly. I've got a few phoenix gold amps that I wouldn't let go either. The good stuff wont be made again anytime soon.

Like I said most people wont care about this stuff cause they are looking for the cheapest tool to get the job done. I suppose I care a little more then most.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: which amp should i get?

Good advice! I have a guy on ebay that I go to for Old school Orion stuff. Just gotta dig around and find someone who knows their sh*t and uses good USA made parts with Military grade tolerances like it all used to be built with.
Would it be chefboyre?
I just got an MTX Thunder 4160 from him. Oh my God!! This thing weighs a ton and it's so powerful and clean. My Alpines never sing this clean at low volumes. So much details out of it. Now that speaking from old school amps and this one take its so far for me. The amp is only rated 20W per channel, but it seems like it gives 60W or more for sure. MTX cheated to win in competitions.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Spend the money once" has always been my motto...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orion-250R-2...item1c2a090ae3

Nothin' beats the old school USA made.

You can find these from $200 & up on eBay. I found a few guys who are certified component electronics guys and rebuild these with American made parts to original or better specs.