Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2B Clutch for Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default H2B Clutch for Autocross

Forgive me, I'm long-winded. I also figured I'd grab more H2B heads in here than in the Drivetrain forum.

Doing an H2B swap (ITR transmission) in March, and the mechanic doing my swap is pushing me to get a Stage 2 Exedy over the Stage 1 Organic I was planning on getting. I love and always will love exedy clutches. However they do tend to get pricey as well. $400 for a clutch is, albeit, a minor change from the ~$250 that an organic stage 1 costs.

I know a lot of the h2b guys drag race, and I don't ever plan to. This car will mainly DD and see autocross 10+ times this year. I'll also likely be commuting into Atlanta in some pretty rough traffic for my (hopefully) new job this summer/fall. (I am also installing an LS 5th gearset for highway travel)

Just wanted to gauge opinions on a good clutch for my intended use of the car. The motor will likely not see anything more than some pro1 cams anytime in the near future, so my power goals aren't too ostentatious.

Also, if anyone has any opinions on my flywheel choice (7.5lbs Fidanza) I'd like to hear that as well. I absolutely have loved the 7.5lb flywheel and OEM exedy I have on the d-series currently in my car, so that's my basis for keeping the same flywheel weight and brands both of flywheel and clutch.

Edit: Here's the clutch rating according to THMotorsports' website:

Disc Size 220mm
Spline/Diameter 24T / 26
Tq Capacity 210ft/lbs

Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H2B Clutch for Autocross

thats what i have in my car, and i love it. some say it is a bit aggressive, but it feels fine to me
Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by flatblack-h22
thats what i have in my car, and i love it. some say it is a bit aggressive, but it feels fine to me
Stage 1 or Stage 2?

Again, not too worried about launching the car. I'm pretty well convinced I won't have any problems with the Exedy Stage 1 Organic kit for Daily driving/Autocross.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exedy stage 1 is more then enough for a stock h22. If you want a little more then get a act-Hdss. As for flywheel, is depends on your h2b kit. Qsd has a flywheel spacer that allows you to run any off-the-shelf b-series flywheel, but the evo kit has a h2b flywheel. Or you can do a twin disk that has a h2b flywheel.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by andyKAIZENSPEED
Exedy stage 1 is more then enough for a stock h22. If you want a little more then get a act-Hdss. As for flywheel, is depends on your h2b kit. Qsd has a flywheel spacer that allows you to run any off-the-shelf b-series flywheel, but the evo kit has a h2b flywheel. Or you can do a twin disk that has a h2b flywheel.
And Clutchmasters even makes an h2b specific flywheel with the spacer built in. I've thought about that too. I was more wondering about the weight, I have loved my fidanza 7.5lb on my D-series. I can only assume it will be similar on an h22 in terms of drive-ability and revs.

Over the years I've heard crazy stories about Exedy clutches going above and beyond what they're rated for. After driving 170,000+ miles on Daikin/Exedy clutches and having no problems it's hard not to stick with them.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
lau
Honda-Tech Member

im not a fan of exedy, i have the clutchmasters fx500 but used only for drag. i havent autocross'd it, but im planning to get a diff suspension to autox and road race...if you dont plan on road racing i think your original idea would be ok for just autox a stage 2 would be an upgrade if you are willing to fork over the extra $

oh..and w/e u do, dont get competition clutch lol
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lau
im not a fan of exedy, i have the clutchmasters fx500 but used only for drag. i havent autocross'd it, but im planning to get a diff suspension to autox and road race...if you dont plan on road racing i think your original idea would be ok for just autox a stage 2 would be an upgrade if you are willing to fork over the extra $

oh..and w/e u do, dont get competition clutch lol
If you are having an issue with our clutch I would love to hear from you. Without feedback from customers it is impossible for us to make an improvement!

Thanks!
Dominic
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Honda owns me

I've heard several times that guys have had dis/engagement issues with CC clutches in H2B setups.

Its too bad, I love the grab and drivability of the CC 6-puck sprung disc in my boosted 'lude.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by typemismatch
I've heard several times that guys have had dis/engagement issues with CC clutches in H2B setups.

Its too bad, I love the grab and drivability of the CC 6-puck sprung disc in my boosted 'lude.
As good as the customer service on CC clearly is, I've just had 170,000+ miles of experience with Exedy and seldom hear anything bad about them.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Honda owns me

I was looking at an Exedy Stg 2 for my H2B, should be a good drag and auto-x clutch.