Notices

How far would you push it?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far would you push it?

If you had a rod and piston Lsvtec boosted for track purposes how far would YOU push the stock sleeves?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How far would you push it?

5000 hp.......

Seriously though, it would depend on a few factors.

How good is your tuner?

What type of fuel is being used?

How good is your cooling system?

IF you have a very good cooling system set up, you are using race fuel or E85, and you have a VERY good tuner. Then this combination will help keep temps down. Tune it rich, and use conservitive timing so you dont have crazy heat in the cylinders, push it to 500 whp.

If you dont have all of these things in place stay in the 450 whp range to avoid sleeves cracking.

EDIT:

Depending on budget and if the motor is in already or what, you could also look into having cnc engine dynamics do one of their crazy block gaurds, those things make stock sleeves hold power just like GE/Darton iron sleeves, and for less money....
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would sleeve over blackguard. Just my opinion. People are pushing all kinds of crazy #s on the stock block. Knowledge is power when it comes to pulling off high HP builds on stock sleeves IMO. Somebody was rolling around here with a stock sleeves on their B20 pushing big #s a while ago. Look into the highest HP thread and contact some of those people or search their posts to get a better idea of what kind of power they are pushing as well was what gas they are running.

Seen here - https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/honda-techs-highest-horsepower-stock-block-thread-%2Aofficial%2A-2036623/

If you are going to just track the car, race gas/E85 for sure. I mean why not? Also, you could always run water/meth injection. Some people feel that is a poor excuse for tuning in which I also agree. I think putting a solid reliable tune at 450whp on the car then throwing on water/meth... Just provides extra window of error...

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the right fuel, tune and setup the stock sleeves can be pushed pretty hard. I have seen 600whp on high boost on stock sleeved B16 with Weisco pistons, H beam rods, all balanced, engine griddle, ARP hardware, stock head with Supertech valve springs can remember what cams, on C16. The motor lasted with no issues and it saw high boost on a pretty regular basis.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was planning on e85 and hoping to have t1 tune since I'm in Texas. After these responses I'll go for it and see what happens
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blaze45
I would sleeve over blackguard. Just my opinion. People are pushing all kinds of crazy #s on the stock block. Knowledge is power when it comes to pulling off high HP builds on stock sleeves IMO. Somebody was rolling around here with a stock sleeves on their B20 pushing big #s a while ago. Look into the highest HP thread and contact some of those people or search their posts to get a better idea of what kind of power they are pushing as well was what gas they are running.

Seen here - https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036623

If you are going to just track the car, race gas/E85 for sure. I mean why not? Also, you could always run water/meth injection. Some people feel that is a poor excuse for tuning in which I also agree. I think putting a solid reliable tune at 450whp on the car then throwing on water/meth... Just provides extra window of error...

Good luck.

Look into the "block gaurd" I quoted from cnc, it's not a traditional block gaurd which are worthless junk, its like sleeving the block for less $.

OP: E85 and a tune from T1 is a good way to go, I personally still wouldn't push my luck past about 500 whp on stock sleeves, asking for trouble....