Notices

dpfi to mpfi questions i need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dpfi to mpfi questions i need advice

88 honda civic dx
ok so my ef is already converted but its done wrong. not the way i want it. they cut off all the plugs from the main harness and soldered everything together. so you can say the engine harness and main harness is all one unit. dont know why they did don't ask. the car also dies sometimes when idleing over 1k so they probably wire it wrong too. dont want to go thru the hassle of rechecking the previous owners work

now with my questions
should i go buy a dx harness and convert it or si harness. reason asking is because i've seen a green si at the junkyard and might just take out the main harness and the engine harness so i dont have to rywire anything. is that possible lmk
Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Default Re: dpfi to mpfi questions i need advice

Originally Posted by aznboi_2
88 honda civic dx
ok so my ef is already converted but its done wrong. not the way i want it. they cut off all the plugs from the main harness and soldered everything together. so you can say the engine harness and main harness is all one unit. dont know why they did don't ask. the car also dies sometimes when idleing over 1k so they probably wire it wrong too. dont want to go thru the hassle of rechecking the previous owners work

now with my questions
should i go buy a dx harness and convert it or si harness. reason asking is because i've seen a green si at the junkyard and might just take out the main harness and the engine harness so i dont have to rywire anything. is that possible lmk
si harness has bigger plugs and more pins. just convert the right way and convert to obd1 with jumper harnesses at the dizzy or just at the ecu and hardwire the dizzy in, but id HIGHLY suggest you get the conversion harness for the dizzy or just get the obd1 dizzy and depin the harness side of the dizzy plug and wire it for obd1. color for color.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sh!ft
si harness has bigger plugs and more pins. just convert the right way and convert to obd1 with jumper harnesses at the dizzy or just at the ecu and hardwire the dizzy in, but id HIGHLY suggest you get the conversion harness for the dizzy or just get the obd1 dizzy and depin the harness side of the dizzy plug and wire it for obd1. color for color.
what are you talking about, why should he convert to obd1? he didn't say anything about the engine he had in there.

to the OP: yes you can use the Si wiring so long as you use both the engine and cabin harness.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
what are you talking about, why should he convert to obd1? he didn't say anything about the engine he had in there.

to the OP: yes you can use the Si wiring so long as you use both the engine and cabin harness.
beacuse, he said he wanted to do everything right. that would be the right thing to do, hassle free and even if you wanted to drop another motor in, you would already have a platform ready to drop it in. duh
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he meant replacing the whole harness as the made it a one piece harness like the EK and were to lazy to run the new wires so they just hard wired an SI harness into the car which wouldnt be a bad idea (in theory) except for it doesnt run .

OP: Well either way you are going to have to buy a new underdash harness so might as well make life easier and find a SI underdash and SI engine harness, instead of running a DX one and then converting that over to MPFI from DPFI.

sh!ft: to convert over it's just plugging in a conversion harness, converting to obd1 is easy as pie thanks to people like Rywire and all the other companies that produce stuff for EF's to make our lives easier.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

swt thx i was just making sure so i dont waste money. imma go strip apart that civic si at the junk yard then this weekend. thank you all
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sh!ft
beacuse, he said he wanted to do everything right. that would be the right thing to do, hassle free and even if you wanted to drop another motor in, you would already have a platform ready to drop it in. duh
Seeing as how he still hasn't mentioned what engine he is running you can't say its the "right thing to do". if he is staying with an engine that was obd0 to begin with, their would be no reason to convert to obd1. if all i had in my car was a stock d16a6, it would be pointless and a waste of money to convert it to obd1. now if you have a good reason. (i.e. plans to boost it, or some other need for odb1 tuning capabilities) then it makes perfect since to change to obd1.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
Seeing as how he still hasn't mentioned what engine he is running you can't say its the "right thing to do". if he is staying with an engine that was obd0 to begin with, their would be no reason to convert to obd1. if all i had in my car was a stock d16a6, it would be pointless and a waste of money to convert it to obd1. now if you have a good reason. (i.e. plans to boost it, or some other need for odb1 tuning capabilities) then it makes perfect since to change to obd1.
Exactly. He hasn't mentioned what engine he is running, why are you telling him to convert to OBD1? You said it yourself, if he is staying with OBD0 engine then there would be no reason to convert. He didn't say he is gonna boost it or need OBD1, so I don't understand why you're arguing about this?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sde780
Exactly. He hasn't mentioned what engine he is running, why are you telling him to convert to OBD1? You said it yourself, if he is staying with OBD0 engine then there would be no reason to convert. He didn't say he is gonna boost it or need OBD1, so I don't understand why you're arguing about this?
im sorry i didnt mean to come off as argue-mentive i was just assuming thats what he was wanting to do/planed to do some tuning. but this is true if hes just staying with an obd0 motor. i cant disagree with that at all.