Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

CRX HID question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX HID question

I have an hid kit on my crx and it looks really good at night and it looks blue and all but i hate driving at night because it doesnt even shine in the middle of the road... it shines off to the left and the right kind bad and not in the middle hardly, and when im in the middle of nowhere on the highway its kinda scary. i have black halo projectors on the car as well too but idk wat went wrong or wats wrong with them. When you stand in front of the car, if you are close or far away it looks as if you would be able to see everything but when your in it driving its a different story. if anyone has any help or suggestions that would be great. other wise i might just try a different brand or something. thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: CRX HID question

Simple solution: adjust your headlights
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 PM

werd
Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i can only just adjust them up and down ive tried it. you cant move the light from out to in can you?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si-r
Simple solution: adjust your headlights
A better solution: Have a retrofit done
Old 04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would ditch your black halo projectors. Which you probably got from Ebay right? Those are not even real projector headlights. My friend had a pair and I tried them on my CRX and the light output sucked. Just stick with the OEM CRX headlights with your HID kit. It will give you better lighting than the Halo projectors you got.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM

There's a reason why HID plug and play sucks.
Your halogen housing wasn't meant for Hid capsule bulbs.

I'm sure you can read up lots in this forum why hid kits give poor performance.
I'm tired of explaining it over and over again lol
Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my plug and plays are doin just perfect with my oem headlights.. theyre sick!!! haha I know this is an old thread but thought i would mention it
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Putting HID's in the factory housing with fluted glass lenses is a no-no.

The factory fluted lenses will not give you the correct light pattern that you need to get the best illumination. The factory headlamps are meant for halogens only and so do not attempt to put HID's in them. You will get all kinds of flashing lights at you from other drivers and your beam pattern will not be best for the most light on the road. It will be scattered all over the place.

Your best bet is to get some decent projector headlamps and then convert them with some decent projector lenses. Most headlamps that say they are projectors are good for only halogens. To get them right for HID's, you need projectors that are designed for HID's.

The MORIMOTO MINI H1 5.0 projectors are a good set of projectors that are available. The fit into most headlights with little modification needed. A clear lens version is what you need. They are Bi-xenon which allows for a fuller light pattern when the high beams are on.

I've converted my 1991 Honda CRX HF to HID and have been extremely happy with the conversion. I do run the 9005 bright lights as halogen and the combination of the two really lights up the road.

I don't get the flashing from other drivers as the beam pattern is easily adjusted and the cut off of the light with the MORIMOTO projectors is so sharp that drivers are not affected by glare.

In order to do HID's right, you need to do some research and don't cheap out.
I spent almost $500 for my lighting system and I would put it up against any factory set up. It puts out tons of lumens and I can see way better than the factory headlights.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to agree with Steve from Ohio. I bought my Del Sol last Thursday and it had a PNP HID kit installed. It works, and they've got it aimed to where it doesn't blind other drivers, but light output is certainly lacking.

From everything that I've read (great link in my "Need Help Identifying HID Kit" thread), you certainly get what you pay for. A retrofit certainly seems the way to go.