Notices

Temp gauge needle goes up n down

Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temp gauge needle goes up n down

I was driving to work this morning and noticed the temperature cauge needle going up from the center to almost hot, goes back to the center and up again. What could be the cause of this problem? I haven't checked the level of coolant as the car is still hot but I wanted to throw this out so I can responses ASAP. Thanks all.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Temp gauge needle goes up n down

not enough coolant or air bubbles in the system
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly wiring or maybe a simple loose conection at the sensor.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends if you mean it was doing this slowly or like the needle was being flicked, if very fast its the wiring if it did it slower its actually overheating.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Team Purple

it might be the coolant temperature sending unit. check the connections/wiring and if not, check the SU. good luck.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by braass91
I was driving to work this morning and noticed the temperature cauge needle going up from the center to almost hot, goes back to the center and up again. What could be the cause of this problem? I haven't checked the level of coolant as the car is still hot but I wanted to throw this out so I can responses ASAP. Thanks all.
I have this problem with my crx I just bought, you turn the key in the ignition and it instantly goes to normal operating temp then goes kind of everywhere after that. I havent tracked down the problem yet but I have changed the temp sending unit under the distributer with no effect. I think this is a wiring problem the guy I bought my car from had about 16 speakers in the car amps the works and he had no idea how to wire a car for that . If I find a solution ill post, But ive searched and found nothing else on this topic.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all for the quick response. The problem was a leak on top of the radiator, a horizontal seepage, about 2 inches long. I was lucky it happened only a mile or so from my work. Anywho, here's what I did to solve my problem, which was trying to get home after work on a 95 degree hot day with my baby without overheating and home is about 27 miles away on I-80. I emptied a bottle of radiator sealer into the radiator, filled the radiator and the reservoir with 1/2 of the coolant bottle I bought at Napa Auto Store. Since the coolant was seeping out of the horizontal seepage on top of the radiator as soon as the coolant is up to that level, I had to find a way to stop the flow, the bleeding coolant from seeping thru the 2" horizontal seepage. What to do, what to do.
DUCK F***ing tape. Probably 5 layers of duck tape. I drove home with my eyes on that horizontal needle between Mr. Cool and Mrs. Hot, whom I don't want to F**k with, at least not within the context of this drive home. And to my surprise, the needle never moved once after it settled between Mr. Cool and Mrs. Hot. Once I got home and me baby cooled down, I removed the radiator cap to see how much coolant seeped thru the Duck tape. It was still full. Duck tape, baby! Duck f***ing tape!!! Now, I have another problem. Should I try my luck again with Duck Tape and drive to work tomorrow? I don't know but I am kinda feeling adventurous, u know, like someone whose on the verge of messing with common sense, just for the fun of it and for the trust I have on Duck Tape.
Thanks again for all your prompt responses.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just JB weld the son of a bitch haha
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Checker has Performance radiators for like $108 right now (at least over here in AZ). I know, because I bought one 3 years ago for like $160, then had it start leaking from the bottom a few months ago. Got a brand new one under warranty (thank god it was still under 3 years old!). And they said going price now is $108.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mjfubar101
I did JB weld it last night and to be safe, DUCK tape it again. I got work w/o the needle kissing Mrs. HOT at all. I guess you can say, the needle was bi all the way, preferring to stay neutral between its cold and hot lovers. Anywho, the JB weld did not stop the leak as the duck is wet with coolant. Still, I drove to work and back, 27 miles 1-way. Not bad. I also picked up a new radiator from Autozone and it's lifetime guaranteed. I will install this baby this weekend, time permitting. This is why I love Hondas! Reliability is better than sex. Right, guys?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by mjfubar101
haha mickey mouse that ****!.....spirit of the EF!!! haha
Old 06-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by braass91
I was driving to work this morning and noticed the temperature gauge needle going up from the center to almost hot, goes back to the center and up again. What could be the cause of this problem? I haven't checked the level of coolant as the car is still hot but I wanted to throw this out so I can responses ASAP. Thanks all.
I also had this problem, and after trying everything from fuses to relays to radio wiring harness etc. I also should mention my problem in the end before i go on was due to upgrades on the car to the electrical system as in amp and hid etc< also applies to any other upgrades. to fix this issue i, simply added some extra ground from the battery to the chassis and replaced stock ground wiring from battery to chassis and from engine to front frame (note this this not have to be done i done this after solving all electrical problems with simply adding some extra ground from the battery to chassis) mostly applies to jap cars in my experience. this issue also caused my car to struggle to start sometimes and radio would shut on and off
Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Leonard
I also had this problem, and after trying everything from fuses to relays to radio wiring harness etc. I also should mention my problem in the end before i go on was due to upgrades on the car to the electrical system as in amp and hid etc< also applies to any other upgrades. to fix this issue i, simply added some extra ground from the battery to the chassis and replaced stock ground wiring from battery to chassis and from engine to front frame (note this this not have to be done i done this after solving all electrical problems with simply adding some extra ground from the battery to chassis) mostly applies to jap cars in my experience. this issue also caused my car to struggle to start sometimes and radio would shut on and off
Please visit and read the Forum Rules section as well as the FAQ.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Temp gauge needle goes up n down

Ok so I'm a owner of a 97 Honda Accord and my temp gauge goes up and down, I have great heat. I poured coolant in and it still does this what does that mean somebody
Old 01-02-2018, 01:44 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Boonie
Ok so I'm a owner of a 97 Honda Accord and my temp gauge goes up and down, I have great heat. I poured coolant in and it still does this what does that mean somebody
You'd probably get a better response by starting your own thread in the right forum.

Could be a million things. If it's not using coolant, you could have a blockage caused by gunk in your radiator, or a bad thermostat. Or an electrical problem.